The Amazing Race Australia 2 is the second installment of the reality television show, The Amazing Race Australia. It premiered on May 30, 2012 on Australian television. It features eleven teams of two who are in a pre-existing personal relationship, and follows the various challenges that they undertake as they race around the world to win AU$250,000.
- Main article: The Amazing Race Australia 2 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Shane & Andrew||Cops||8th||7th||6th||5th||5th»||6th||3rd||2nd||2nd||1st||3rd||1st||5-5|
|Paul & Steve||Workmates||10th||5th||5th||6th||1st«||1st>||1st||1st||1stƒ||4th||2nd||2nd||6-3|
|Michelle & Jo||Cheerleader Twins||7th||2nd||3rd||4th||2nd||2nd<||2nd||3rd||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||5-5|
|Joseph & Grace||Brother & Sister||6th||8th||7th||3rd||4th||3rd||7th7||6th||4th||2nd||4th8||Eliminated 8th||4-4|
|Lucy & Emilia||Sisters||11th1||10th||9th||8th||6th||5th||5th||5th||5th||5th||Eliminated 7th||2-5|
|James & Sarah||Dating||3rd||9th||8th||1st||7th5||7th||4th||4th||6th||Eliminated 6th||3-3|
|Sticky & Sam||Flatmates||5th||1st||1st||2nd||4th||4th||6th||7th||Eliminated 5th||3-2|
|Ross & Tarryn||Father & Daughter||1st||4th||2nd||7th||8th5||8th6||Eliminated 4th||3-1|
|Kym & Donna||Engaged||2nd||6th||4th||9th4||Eliminated 3rd||1-1|
|Sue & Teresa||Hairdressers||4th||3rd||10th||Eliminated 2nd||2-0|
|Adam & Dane||Cousins||9th||11th2||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Note 1: Lucy & Emilia reached the pitstop in last place. However, since Ross & Tarryn won the Salvage Pass, they decided to save Lucy & Emilia from elimination.
Note 2: Adam & Dane initially checked 7th, but they were issued a 30-minute penalty for selling of their possessions. Four teams checked in during their penalty time and Adam & Dane were eliminated from the race.
Note 3: Sticky & Sam, Michelle & Jo, Kym & Donna, Paul & Steve, Shane & Andrew, Lucy & Emilia and Sue & Teresa broke more than 15 pots during the Route Info task and received a 15 minute penalty at the pot drop off.
Note 4: Kym & Donna failed to complete the leg after being unable to locate the Meydan Racecourse. Hours after all the teams had checked into the pit stop, Kym & Donna still had not completed the final challenge. Grant came over to the area where they had spent the night and eliminated them.
Note 5: James & Sarah took a 4 hour penalty at the Roadblock, less than 30 minutes later, Ross & Tarryn made their way to the pit stop, choosing also to take a penalty. These did not affect their placements.
Note 6: Ross & Tarryn had been "marked for elimination," however, since they checked in last, they were eliminated without the 30-minute penalty.
Note 7: Joseph & Grace arrived in 6th place, however, they were issued a two-hour penalty for pulling another teams belongings out of the taxi, which is a clear violation of a race rule. During that time Sticky & Sam checked in, dropping Joseph & Grace to last place, however it was a double-length leg.
Note 8: Joseph & Grace failed to make it to the required area of the Great Wall of China for the Roadblock, instead travelling to the Inner Mongolia section of the Great Wall. After all teams had checked in, Grant came out to their location and eliminated them.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
U-Turn/Yield voting historyEdit
- Leg 4: Paul & Steve - Voted by Kym & Donna, Joseph & Grace, Michelle & Jo, Ross & Tarryn, Shane & Andrew and Sticky & Sam.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (Australia → Philippines)Edit
- Starting Line: Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- From Sydney to Barangaroo Wharf, Barangaroo
- After the starting line, teams had to ride a ferry to Barangaroo Wharf and get a marked car from the big maze and have to work together with one team. Once finished, they would drive themselves to Sydney Airport.
- Flight from Sydney Airport, Sydney to Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila, Philippines
- Plaza Miranda, Quiapo, Manila
- Teams must eat 8 balut eggs each in order to receive their next clue.
- From Bicol Isarog TSI Bus Station, Manila to Cagsawa Ruins, Daraga, Albay
- At the bus station in Manila, teams had to sign up one of three charter buses to Daraga, with three separate times at 12:30 am, 1:00 am and 1:30 am the following day.
- Teams had to find a snake charmer at the Cagsawa Ruins who would give them their next clue.
- Daraga, Albay
- Jig: Teams would do traditional costumes and dance to the satisfaction of two judges in order to get the next clue.
- Pig: Teams would compete in a game of catching an oiled pig where they would have to collect four pigs to receive their next clue.
- Misibis Bay - Luyang Beach, Bacacay
- Teams must build a raft and paddle themselves to Mosboron Beach, the pit stop for this leg of the race.
- Misibis Bay - Mosboron Beach, Bacacay
- Ross & Tarryn won A$10,000 and the Salvage Pass for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Philippines → India)Edit
- Flight from Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila to Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi, India
- Agrasen ki Baoli, Delhi
- Before the Detour, teams must find hundreds of turbans to find the phrase "correct", then unwrap it to put back on to receive their next clue.
- Pull: Teams have to milk a half a litre of a milk from a cow to get their next clue.
- Poo: Teams have to make 50 made cows from a fuel bricks in order to receive their next clue.
- Old Fort, Delhi
- Teams have to perform Bollywood dance and a Hindi script. If they get the dance and script correctly, they would receive their next clue.
- Qutub Minar, Delhi
- Sticky & Sam won a trip to the 2012 Honda Moto GP in Japan with VIP Backstage passes worth over A$10,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (India)Edit
- From Qutub Minar, Delhi to Shiv Vilas, Jaipur, Rajasthan
- (Unaired) Red Elephant Temple, Jaipur
- There was an unaired Detour at the Red Elephant Temple, as Sarah was seen holding the Detour clue outside the temple in promotional material. The objective of both sides of the Detour is unknown.
- In the leg and the season's first roadblock, one team member had to sit through a driver's education class, then navigate India's frenzied streets for a driving test while driving on the left-hand side of the road. Once they obtained an Indian driver's license, they received the next clue.
- Jaipur Market, Jaipur
- Teams had to stack 75 pots and deliver them to the other end of the market to receive their next clue. If teams break more than 15 pots, they would receive a penalty.
- Amer Fort, Amer, Jaipur
- In the leg's second roadblock, one team member had to stair climb 10 stairs up to the wall and have to go down 41 steps to receive the next clue.
- Nahargarh Fort, Jaipur
- Sticky & Sam won an entertainment package from Bing Lee, worth A$5,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (India → United Arab Emirates)Edit
- From Jaipur Railway Station, Jaipur to New Delhi Railway Station, Delhi
- Flight from Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi to Dubai International Airport, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Al Faqa Desert, Dubai
- (Unaired) Wild Wadi Water Park, Jumeirah, Dubai
- Teams had to make their way to Wild Wadi Surf Machine, where teams had to use boogie boards to surf their way to the end where they will grab their next clue.
- There was an unaired Roadblock during this leg, as Andrew was clearly seen holding a Roadblock clue at the Wild Wadi Water Park. The objective and the members performing the Roadblock is unknown.
- Meydan Racecourse, Dubai
- Teams had to pick a winning horse before the race. If they do not get the right horse, they need to wait for the next race so that they can pick again. If their horse wins, they would receive their next clue. If teams did not bet on the winning horse in any of the races, or came to the course after the races, then one person had to carry the other over the finish line.
- Helipad of Four Points by Sheraton at Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai
- James & Sarah won a trip for two to Queenstown, New Zealand, courtesy of PUMP, worth A$10,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (United Arab Emirates → Turkey)Edit
- Jumeirah Beach Hotel Marina - Dubai Pearl Ship, Dubai
- Before the Detour, teams had to wait for the docking of the Dubai Pearl. Once it docks they must find the skipper who would give them their next clue.
- Count 'Em Up: Teams had to count a stack of candlenuts then they will have to write the correct answer of candlenuts in a board in order to receive their next clue.
- Price 'Em Up: Teams had to make their way to a marked jewellry store and arrange 7 pieces of jewellry from cheapest to most expensive.
- Deira Old Souq Station, Deira, Dubai
- Flight from Dubai International Airport, Dubai to Atatürk International Airport, Istanbul, Istanbul Province, Marmara Region, Turkey
- Blue Mosque, Istanbul
- Hagia Sophia and Basilica Cistern, Istanbul
- One team member had to make their way to Hagia Sophia where they had to remember eight Arabic Symbols and names and then line them up at the separate location. They can go back to Hagia Sophia only once.
- Archaelogical Museum, Istanbul
- Paul & Steve won an action-packed trip to the Australian Rally Championship, worth A$10,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Turkey)Edit
- Turkish Bath, Istanbul
- Teams had to wash and scrub each other with a bar of soap until it reveals their next clue, the word 'Detour'.
- Shoe Shine Stalls, Istanbul/Egyptian Bazaar, Istanbul
- Paul & Steve Yielded Michelle & Jo.
- Shine: Teams had to locate a marked shoe shine stalls and convince 10 customers to have their shoes shined for no less than 4 each.
- Design: Teams must find a marked carpet stall and take a photo of an exotic Turkish pattern, then find a perfect match among the carpets to get their next clue.
- Rumelihisarı, Istanbul
- The intersected teams had to break through a line of four Turkish Oil Wrestlers. One of the 4 had to get through and take a Turkish lamp from off a table.
- Darüzziyafe Restaurant, Istanbul
- One team member had to find Whirling Dervishes and spin with them for five minutes continuously to receive their next clue.
- Beyazit Square, Istanbul
- Paul & Steve won a state of the art computer package from Bing Lee, worth A$5,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episodes 7 (Turkey → France → Cuba)Edit
- Flight from Atatürk International Airport, Istanbul to Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, Île-de-France, France
- Le Cordon Bleu, Paris
- One team member had to bake a batch of Soufflés in order to receive their next clue. Teams had to sign up for classes which happened in groups of four, starting at 9 AM the next day.
- Rungis Market, Paris
- Teams had to search among 230 hectares (570 acres) and find a certain stall to collect a 30 kilograms (66 lb) wheel of cheese, then deliver it to a cheese shop 25 kilometres (16 mi) away. If they deliver it undamaged, they would receive their next clue.
- Debilly Footbridge, Paris
- Teams had to find a painter who would hand them their next clue.
- Flight from Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris to José Martí International Airport, Havana, Cuba
- Upon arriving in Havana, teams had to find a marked classic car and make their way to the Tropicana Nightclub.
- Tropicana Nightclub, Havana
- Teams had to find the lead showgirl to find their next clue.
- →→ Hotel Nacional, Havana
- The leg ends with a fake pit stop and continues with leg 8 below.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Cuba)Edit
- Marina Hemingway, Havana
- Before the Roadblock, teams had to sign up for one of four boats departing 30 minutes apart.
- For the Roadblock, one team member had to use a compass and a map to locate a fishing boat with the old man of the sea onboard. They could also catch a fish instead of finding this boat. They were given a time limit, which if they failed to complete either goal within the time limit, would result in a 4-hour penalty.
- Plaza de la Catedral, Havana / El Floridita Bar and Hotel Ambos Mundos, Havana
- Che Puzzle: Teams had to complete a 90 piece puzzle of Che Guevara to recieve their next clue.
- Daiquiri Guzzle: Teams had to make 6 Daiquiris and then deliver them through a festival with one hand to a hotel down the street.
- Crocodile Farm near Australia Township, Matanzas Province
- Teams had to feed and catch a crocodile to receive their next clue.
- Following the task at the Crocodile Farm, teams then had to travel on foot and by a marked boat across the Laguna del Tesoro to the next Pit Stop.
- Hotel Guamá, Laguna del Tesoro
- Paul & Steve won a trip for two valued at A$10,000 from Pump to Queenstown, New Zealand for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Cuba → Canada)Edit
- Flight from José Martí International Airport, Havana to Vancouver International Airport, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Stanley Park, Vancouver
- Teams would told to find the Totem Poles and be blessed by a priest in order to receive their next clue.
- Nicole Sleeth Art Studio, Vancouver
- Teams had to be willing to strip nude and model in a life drawing class with six other people. Once they had posed to the class's satisfaction, the teacher would hand them the fast forward.
- Vancouver Rowing Club, Vancouver
- Teams must pick a kayak to Harbour Green Park and use a decipher on a word puzzle using the maritime flag represents a letter to receive the next clue.
- Mount Seymour Provincial Park, North Vancouver
- Toss: Teams had to throw an axe at a target from six feet away. They needed to get 10 shots out of 40 before they could receive their next clue.
- Tumble: Teams had to take part in log-rolling and roll a marked log 10 times in a pool of water. If a team member fell off the log, they were required to swap with their partner.
- Grouse Mountain, North Vancouver
- One team member had to stand on top of a cable car riding up towards the top of a mountain, grabbing 3 flags as they passed. If teams failed to capture all three flags, they had to try again. If they were unsuccessful following that, they were assessed a penalty.
- Crab Park, Vancouver
- Paul & Steve won A$10,000 from Southern Cross Travel Insurance for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Canada)Edit
- From Westin Bayshore Hotel, Vancouver to Banff, Alberta
- Wild Bill's Saloon, Banff
- Teams had to ride a mechanical bull for a combined total of sixty seconds. Teams could decide to hang on the bull for even longer and the team with the highest time would an additional bonus prize, which unknown to the teams was a thirty minute head start in the next challenge. Shane & Andrew won this prize.
- Rundle Mountain, Banff National Park
- One team member must climb to the top of a frozen waterfall to grab their next clue.
- Lake Louise, Banff National Park
- Search: Teams had to use an avalanche rescue beacon to search a large area of snow for a transmitter buried beneath the snow. Once teams dig up this transmitter, they may exchange it for their next clue.
- Ski: Teams must ski down a slalom course, skiing through all the flags to receive their next clue.
- Great Divide Trail, Banff National Park
- Teams had to lead a team of dogs sledges around a 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) course to find their next clue.
- Chateau Lake Louise, Banff National Park
- Teams had to extract a clue from an ice sculpture with only the tools provided.
- Banff Springs Hotel, Banff National Park
- Shane & Andrew won A$10,000 from Swisse Vitamins for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 11 (Canada → China)Edit
- From Banff to Calgary
- Flight from Calgary International Airport, Calgary to Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing, China
- Ghost Street, Beijing
- Waiter: Teams had to take food orders from customers in a restaurant in Mandarin Chinese and recite each order to the chef. If they pronounced the word correctly, the chef would give them the food item to hand back to the customer. Once every customer on the table received their meal, they would receive their next clue.
- Wheel: Teams had to spin a wheel with different Chinese delicacies on it, and they then had to eat the food the wheel stopped on. After teams had eaten six delicacies shared between each team member, they would receive there next clue.
- Marco Polo Bridge, Beijing
- Teams had to count the number of lion head statues. If they were correct they received their next clue.
- Great Wall of China, Beijing
- One team member had to figure out the correct set of three gates to receive their next clue. If the team member incorrectly chose a gate, he would be blocked by warriors. Each team member was given three attempts to correctly decode the puzzle, before they would have to go back to the start of the course.
- Forbidden City, Beijing
- Michelle & Jo won A$10,000 from Southern Cross Travel Insurance for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 12 - Episode 12 (China → Australia)Edit
- Flight from Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing to Guilin Liangjiang International Airport, Guilin, Guangxi
- During the pit stop, all teams flew to Guilin for the start of the final leg.
- Lijiang River, Guilin
- Teams had to don traditional fishermen costumes before paddling out to the river and asking each fisherman in Mandarin Chinese if they had their next clue.
- Kindergarten School, Yangshuo, Guilin
- Teach: Teams had to choose one of the kindergarten students and teach them 10 Australian slang words. Once their student correctly recited all 10 words to the teacher, they would receive their next clue.
- Learn: Teams had to choose one of the kindergarten students who would teach them how to say the same 10 Australian slang words (from the "Teach" option) in Mandarin Chinese. If teams recited all 10 words correctly to the teacher, they would receive their next clue.
- Bai Ha Market, Guilin
- Teams were to locate a marked stall and had to convince 10 locals to buy a vegetable slicer for no less than 5 Chinese yuan each in order to receive their next clue.
- Flight from Guilin Liangjiang International Airport, Guilin to Brisbane Airport, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Upon arrival at Brisbane, teams had to search the airport car park for a marked vehicle containing their next clue.
- Captain Burke Park, Kangaroo Point
- Boggo Road Gaol, Dutton Park
- One team member was locked in a cell while the other team member had to answer five questions about the teams of the race, then vice versa. If both team members answers matched up, they would receive their next clue.
- Flight from Archerfield Airport, Brisbane to 75 Mile Beach, Fraser Island
- Lake McKenzie, Fraser Island
- One team member had to wade out to the 5 clue boxes in the lake which each contained a multiple choice question based on previous experiences on the race. Then they had to place coloured rings around the clue boxes which corresponded to the correct answer. If they got all 5 questions right, they would receive the final clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams had to dig through a marked area of sand to find a buried treasure chest containing the A$250,000 cash prize.
- Finish Line: Lake McKenzie, Fraser Island
- Shane & Andrew won A$250,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- First time no one is eliminated in an elimination leg. (Ross & Tarryn used the Salvage Pass to save Lucy & Emilia from elimination).
- First time the entire franchise has visited Cuba. The United States embargo against Cuba prevents the original U.S. version from visiting the island, and even the rules of the Latin American version.
- First time Canada has a Pit Stop, two legs (9 and 10). Likewise, the country had no Pit Stop in the original U.S. version and was visited in two seasons of that version.
- First international version to circumnavigate the globe outside of the U.S. version.
- First season to have no married couples.
- First season to air a Yield.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)