The Amazing Race Australia 1 is the first installment of the reality television show, 'The Amazing Race Australia. It is scheduled to premiere in May 2011 on Australian television. It will feature eleven teams of two who are in a pre-existing personal relationship, and will follow the various challenges that they undertake as they race around the world to win AU$250,000.
- Main article: The Amazing Race Australia 1 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Tyler & Nathan||Surfers||6th||1st||3rd||2nd»||1st||1st||2nd/2nd6||3rd||3rd||2nd9||1st||6-6|
|Sam & Renae||Models||1st||5th||8th3||5th||6th||6th||4th/3rd7||4th||4th||1st9,10||2nd||63-6|
|Jeff & Luke||Father & Son||4th||4th||6th||4th||3rd||3rd||3rd/1st||2nd||2nd||3rd11||3rd||6-6|
|Matt & Tom||Farmers||5th||2nd||5th||1st||2nd||4th||6th/5th||1st||1st||4th||Eliminated 8th||5-6|
|Kelly & Dave||Married Bikers||2nd||6th||4th||6th||4th||5th||5th/4th||5th8||Eliminated 7th||3-6|
|Anastasia & Chris||Dating||7th||3rd||7th||3rd||7th||2nd||1st/6th7||Eliminated 6th||3-5|
|Alana & Mel||Reunited Sisters||9th||10th||2nd||7th||5th||7th||Eliminated 5th||2-4|
|Mo & Mos||Friends||11th||7th2||9th4||8th||8th||Eliminated 4th||2-3|
|Richard & Joey||Married Entrepreneurs||10th||9th||1stƒ||9th«||Eliminated 3rd||2-1|
|Anne-Marie & Tracy||Workmates||8th1||8th||10th4||Eliminated 2nd||2-1|
|Ryot & Liberty||Brother & Sister||3rd||11th||Eliminated 1st||2-0|
Note 1: Anne-Marie & Tracy arrived in 8th place. However, for an unknown reason the team left the pitstop in 9th place.
Note 2: Mo & Mos initially arrived 4th, but were issued a 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" and not arriving 1st. As Mo & Mos were waiting out their penalty, Jeff & Luke, Sam & Renae, and Dave & Kelly checked in, dropping Mo & Mos to 7th.
Note 3: Sam & Renae elected to use the Express Pass to bypass the Roadblock in Leg 3. Before using the Express Pass, Sam elected to perform the Roadblock and this is reflected in the total Roadblock count.
Note 4: Mo & Mos elected to take the four-hour penalty for not completing the Roadblock in Leg 3. During their penalty time, Anne-Marie & Tracy, the only team trailing Mo & Mos at that point, also elected to take the four-hour penalty for not completing the Roadblock, but because Mo & Mos had began their penalty time earlier than Anne-Marie & Tracy, both teams were called to the check-in mat and Mo & Mos were checked in as 9th, with the remainder of the penalty time being issued at the start of Leg 4, and Anne-Marie & Tracy being eliminated without the penalty being issued.
Note 5: Leg 7 was a double-length leg, with 2 Roadblocks and 2 Detours, and shown over two episodes. An Intersection appeared on the second half of the Leg.
Note 6: During the train ride from Prague to Kraków, an unknown man entered Sam & Renae and Tyler & Nathan's sleeper car and took Tyler & Nathan's their Race-issued bumbag which held their money and passports. The next day, Tyler & Nathan discovered their bum bags in another car, with all of the money they had been issued for the competition stolen. No compensation was made for this event.
Note 7: Sam & Renae and Anastasia & Chris arrived in 1st and 2nd, respectively, but both teams were penalized for quitting the Intersection task. Chris & Anastasia were given the full 4-hour penalty for having not completed anything, while Sam & Renae were given a 2-hour penalty for managing to complete part of the task. During this time Jeff and Luke and Tyler and Nathan checked in resulting in Sam & Renae's final placement for the Leg dropped to 3rd, while Chris & Anastasia finished 6th and were eliminated.
Note 8: Dave & Kelly failed to reach the Masada Pitstop and after all other teams had checked in, Grant came out to their location and eliminated them.
Note 9: Sam & Renae and Tyler & Nathan initially arrived 1st and 2nd, respectively, however both took unregistered taxis to the Roadblock and they each received a 20 minute penalty at the Pit Stop. This did not ultimately affect either of their final placements.
Note 10: Because Sam & Renae finished 1st, their 30-minute "marked for elimination" penalty was nullified.
Note 11: Jeff & Luke bought 2nd class tickets on the train to Galle, when the clue instructed them to purchase 3rd class tickets. For this, they incurred a 10 minute penalty upon leaving Galle Station.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (Australia → Indonesia)Edit
- Starting Line: Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
- One team member had to scale (or climb) then abseil one of the six light towers of the Melbourne Cricket Ground 75 metres (246 ft) before retrieving their next clue.
- Flight from Melbourne Airport, Melbourne to Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
- BlueWater Express, Denpasar, Bali
- Teams signed up for one of three boats leaving for Lombok. The first boat, leaving at 6:00 AM could contain the first three teams, while the remaining boats (leaving at 30 minute intervals after the first boat) could carry four teams each.
- From BlueWater Express, Denpasar, Bali to Mataram, Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara
- Upon arrival at Mataram, teams had to search the fishing village for their next clue which, unknown to them, was hidden in a boat parked along the beach.
- Pura Lingsar, Ampenan, Lombok
- Teams participated in 'Perang Topat', a rice war ritual where teams were showered with rice powder by locals, before receiving their next clue.
- Mandalika Market, Lombok
- Cash: Teams were required to make and sell the local traditional Bakso for no less than Rp 5,000 per bowl, and were required to sell 15 of them.
- Carry: Teams were required to find a market stall and carry traditional produce on their heads to another market stall within the same market before retrieving their next clue.
- After completing the Detour, teams made their way to Malimbu Beach and rode an outrigger to Gili Trawangan Island. Both team members were required to dive onto Halik Reef where one of them only needed to retrieve a briefcase at the bottom. Upon arriving back at the shore, teams had to count the money in the briefcase where totals varied from team to team (in Indonesian rupiah) and use this as the combination to retrieve the next clue.
- Gili Trawangan, Lombok
- Teams had to ride a cidomo, a local horse carriage, to the Pit Stop.
- Sunset Point - Gili Trawangan, Lombok
- Sam & Renae won A$10,000 from National Australia Bank and the Express Pass for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Indonesia → Vietnam)Edit
- Flight from Selaparang Airport, Mataram or Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali to Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Teams had the option of taking a Fast Boat back to Denpasar to make a connecting flight to Ho Chi Minh City or taking a flight directly from the island of Lombok.
- Saigon Opera House, Ho Chi Minh City
- Teams had to find hundreds of women wearing a nón lá with holding a fan with their name on it, they have to exchange it to their next clue.
- Flight from Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Bai International Airport, Huế, Thua Thien – Hue province
- Trần Thanh Mại Garage, Huế
- Before the Detour, teams had to pick a marked jeep to change the tire and engine oil.
- Carry Fowl: Teams must gather twenty live chickens and carry them (the traditional way - on their shoulder) to a designated retailer in a nearby market.
- Carabao: Teams had to choose a marked field and use an ox-drawn plow to till the soil, until the plow caught on a buried rope attached to a hidden clue.
- Khải Định Tomb, Huế
- One team member had to retrieve seven coins representing the seven emperors of the Nguyễn Dynasty in Vietnam at the tomb of Minh Mạng, bring them back to Khải Định Tomb and put the coins in the correct order of the reign of the emperors.
- Huế Citadel, Huế
- Tyler & Nathan won two tickets to the 2011 AFL Grand Final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (the starting line of the race) and a VIP tour of the National Sports Museum for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Vietnam → Hong Kong → Macau)Edit
- Phu Bai International Airport, Huế to Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, China
- Jumbo Floating Restaurant, Aberdeen
- Teams had to bite into fortune cookies until they came across one with a specific message inside, telling them to receive their next clue from the waiter.
- Tin Hau Temple, Causeway Bay
- For the only Fast Forward in the race, teams had to make their way to Tin Hau Temple in Causeway Bay and perform a Buddhist ritual that monks and nuns usually perform in their lives: shave their heads bald. Once both team members' hair had been completely shaved off, they would then receive their next clue.
- Walled City Park, Kowloon
- Lion Dance: Teams had to dress up and perform a traditional lion dance to the satisfaction of the lion dance master.
- Kung Fu Stance: Teams had to perform a series of precise Kung Fu movements to the satisfaction of the Kung Fu master, then break six clay tiles before receiving their next clue.
- Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal, Hong Kong to Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal, Macau by TurboJET
- The Venetian Macao, Macau
- Teams entered the casino, changed into formal wear and played one of the most popular Asian card games, Baccarat. Each win earned teams a Mahjong lettered tile. After ten wins, the tiles directed teams to their next location.
- A Ma Cultural Village, Coloane
- One team member had to arrange 12 lanterns representing the animals of the Chinese Zodiac in chronological order using clues given to them in their Route Info. Once the order was correct, both team members could continue on to the Pit Stop.
- Richard & Joey won A$10,000 from National Australia Bank for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Macau → South Africa)Edit
- Ruins of St. Paul's, Macau
- During the Pit Stop, teams were moved from A Ma Cultural Village to Ruins of St. Paul's to the start of this Leg.
- Flight from Macau International Airport, Macau or Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong to Port Elizabeth Airport, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
- Upon arrival at Port Elizabeth Airport, teams had to search the airport car park for marked vehicles which would have their next clue hidden inside the windscreen.
- Camdeboo National Park, Graaff-Reinet
- Kragga Kamma Game Park, Port Elizabeth
- Smash: From a distance, teams would have to throw a traditional South African club called a knobkierie at four vases suspended in the air. Once all four vases were shattered, teams would receive their next clue.
- Bash: Teams had to build a large giraffe feeder, only using the tools and materials provided. If the feeder had been assembled according to the park ranger's preference, he would hand the teams their next clue.
- Tyler & Nathan U-turned Richard & Joey.
- Bloukrans Bridge, Nature's Valley
- One team member would have to perform and endure the world's largest bungee jump off the Bloukrans Bridge at a height of 216 metres (709 ft). After the team member completed the traumatizing fall, teams would receive their next clue.
- Nomathamsanqa, Addo
- Teams had to collect a goat from a pen and transport it to a witch doctor known as a sangoma to receive their next clue.
- Addo Elephant National Park, Port Elizabeth
- Matt & Tom won A$5,000 shopping spree at Kathmandu for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (South Africa)Edit
- Flight from Port Elizabeth Airport, Port Elizabeth to Cape Town International Airport, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
- Melkboss Air Strip, Melkbosstrand
- One team member had to perform a tandem skydive at a height of 9,000 feet (2,700 m). The non-participating team member must help guide them to the landing zone using flares. After the team member completed the fall, the instructor would hand them their next clue.
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront - Nobel Square, Cape Town
- The intersected teams had to load a large truck with school supplies and deliver them to Intyatyambo Orphanage. Once all the materials were delivered, the teams would receive their next clue. Teams were no longer intersected after this task.
- Intyatyambo Orphange, Khayelitsha, Cape Town
- Guns: Teams had to use shot guns to shoot 9 different moving clay tiles at the Valley Gun Club. Once all the tiles were obliterated, teams would receive their next clue.
- Rosé: Teams had to carry a large wine barrel to a winery called Nelson's Creek Wine Estate where they had to fill the barrel with the wine, rosé. Once the barrel was completely filled to the brim, teams would be given their next clue.
- Atlantis Dunes, Atlantis
- Teams had to drive all-terrain vehicles to an area filled with 15 covered baskets. Three of the baskets held the team's next clues, while the other baskets had different sand-filled hourglasses. If the teams uncovered a basket with an hourglass, they had to wait for the sand to pour out of the hourglass before being able to start searching again. The hourglasses were different sizes, so some took longer to pour out than others.
- Rhodes Memorial, Cape Town
- Tyler & Nathan won A$5,000 home entertainment system from Bing Lee for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (South Africa → Netherlands → Czech Republic)Edit
- Flight from Cape Town International Airport, Cape Town to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Amsterdam, North Hollands, Netherlands
- Oud Hollands Gebakkraam, Amsterdam
- Each team member had to eat two appelbollen, a Belgian pastry popular in the Netherlands that is made out of a whole cored apple wrapped in puff pastry, before they would receive their next clue. The first four teams to finish their appelbollen also received tickets for a sleeper car on the train that would take them on the 15-hour ride to Prague, while the remaining three teams were given tickets for standard seats on a passenger car.
- From Amsterdam Centraal railway station, Amsterdam to Praha hlavní nádraží, Prague, Czech Republic
- Powder Tower, Prague
- Charles Bridge - Statue of St. Vitus, Prague
- Teams searched for a 'holey' statue, being left to figure out the clue meant the Statue of St. Vitus and their next clue was hidden in a hole in its base.
- Old Town Square, Prague
- Chivalry: Teams dressed in knight's armor and searched the for a mysterious man with a key. They then had to search the square for a damsel in distress (located at the Hotel U Prince) and exchange the key for their next clue.
- Delivery: Teams had to carry a young princess in a royal sedan chair from the St. Agnes of Bohemia Convent to the Narodni Galerie to receive their next clue.
- Medieval village, Střelecký Island, Prague
- One team member had to hit a target on the archery range twice in 40 attempts. If their arrow hit a bullseye, they would receive a A$50 bonus to use on the Race.
- Prague Castle, Prague
- Tyler & Nathan won A$5,000 shopping spree at Kathmandu for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 & 8 (Czech Republic → Poland)Edit
- Dancing House, Prague
- Teams had to locate a vintage car made by Škoda Auto, that they were to use for the duration of the Leg, which contained their next clue.
- Štvanice Stadium, Prague
- Teams had to score one goal against a goalkeeper for the Czech national hockey team to receive their next clue.
- St. Nicolas Church, Prague
- Before the Detour, teams had to collect cameras and climb the 304 steps to the top of the tower, whereupon they had 30 seconds to locate and take a photograph of a man waving a flag with race colours, introduced in the previous clue as a "person of interest". Teams were deemed to have failed this task if they took a picture of a man waving a flag advertising a local museum. If teams took a picture of the correct man, they received their next clue. If they did not, they had to return to the bottom of the tower and, whilst climbing back up, count the number of steps, with a correct answer providing the next clue.
- Stack Up: Teams went into the Pilsner Urquell Brewery where they had to load a pallet with cases of their pilsener beer.
- Stack In: Teams had to consume 18 traditional Czech sausages called játernice which were made from pig offal.
- Church of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist, Kutná Hora, Central Bohemian Region
- One team member climbed to the top of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist, before climbing into a window at the top spire. The racer then had to abseil down to the church floor, with the church choir's singing accompanying them on the way down.
- →→ Church of Bones, Kutná Hora
- From Kutná Hora to Kraków Główny railway station, Kraków, Lesser Poland Voivodeship, Poland (via Prague)
- Wieliczka Salt Mine, Wieliczka
- One team member to push a mine cart through the mine until they reached the end of the line. They then had to dig through the cart to find crystalline keys, one of which unlocked the crypt containing the next clue.
- Herd: Teams travelled to the Polish countryside, where they had to build a pen using the fences provided and herd at least the three sheep marked with a red stripe into it.
- Hoe Down: Teams drove to Zakopane, donned traditional clothing and learned a Polish axe dance. Once the judge was satisfied with their dancing, they received the next clue.
- Cape Stylchen, Czorsztyn
- Teams Intersected and together cut four slices off of a large log using a two-man saw to receive their next clue. If teams quit the task, any team that had not cut a single piece off the log received a four-hour penalty and any team that had cut a piece off received a two-hour penalty.
- Niedzica Castle, Niedzica
- Jeff & Luke won A$10,000 from National Australia Bank for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 9 (Poland → Israel)Edit
- Flight from John Paul II International Airport Kraków-Balice, Kraków to Ben Gurion International Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Azrieli Center, Tel Aviv
- Teams took a train from Tel Aviv's central station to the Port of Haifa. In Haifa, one team had member to rig a container truck, drive it through an obstacle course and back up to its final loading space to get their next clue.
- Hasimta Theatre, Jaffa
- Before the Detour, Each team member had to separately answer five questions. If the other team member's answers matched, they would receive their next clue.
- Find Unseen: Teams used a metal detector to a search marked area for a key that would unlock a chest containing the next clue.
- Make 13: Teams had to play matkot, a traditional Israeli bat and ball game similar to racquet. They had to hit the ball back and forth 13 times without letting it hit the ground before they would receive their next clue.
- Masada ruins
- Matt & Tom won A$5,000 personal computer package from Bing Lee for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 10 (Israel)Edit
- The Winter Palace of King Herod, Masada
- Teams had to search the grounds of Masada, the previous pit stop to find the Winter Palace of King Herod, where they would find their next clue.
- Qumran, Kalya, West Bank
- One team member had to decipher a message written in Hebrew written on a scroll meant to resemble the Dead Sea Scrolls. The message would direct them to their next route marker in Jerusalem.
- Jaffa Road - Central Post Office Building, Jerusalem
- Before the Detour, teams had to send the message that they recorded during the rest period to their loved ones at home in the mail.
- Pilgrim's Trail: Teams travelled to the Old City where they picked up an 80 kg (180 lb) wooden cross and then carry it along the Via Dolorosa, the path Jesus is said to have taken along to the site of his crucifixion. Teams would have to find each of the Stations of the Cross before delivering the cross at the end of the Via Dolorosa.
- Holy Grail: Teams traveled to the Western Wall and joined an active archaeological dig site. Teams would have to unearth a clay pot and then deliver it to a man in the City of David.
- After the detour, teams were instructed to walk the "rampart walk near the Dung Gate" to find their next clue.
- Dung Gate, Jerusalem
- Aish HaTorah World Centre, Jerusalem
- Matt & Tom won A$10,000 from National Australia Bank for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 11 (Israel → Sri Lanka)Edit
- Flight from Ben Gurion International Airport, Tel Aviv to Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Gangaramaya Temple, Colombo
- Count: Teams traveled to St. John's Fish Market where they had to find a marked stall with a basket full of fish. They had to count the fish, and provide the correct total to receive their next clue.
- Carry: Teams had to use a wooden trolley to transfer 15 blocks of ice unbroken through a busy market to a specific stall to receive their next clue.
- From Fort Railway Station, Colombo to Galle Railway Station, Galle
- Galle Fort, Galle
- Teams had to go to the beach where they found a chest with a combination lock and a clue asking for Sri Lanka's year of gaining independence: 1948. This opened a second chest that asked the year of birth of Sri Lanka's first Prime Minister Don Stephen Senanayake: 1884. The second chest contained their next clue.
- From Galle Bus Station, Galle to Ambalangoda Train Station, Ambalangoda
- Mask Stall Vendor, Ambalangoda
- Teams were shown a photograph of a particular mask. They then had to search the a nearby street festival for a person wearing the matching mask in order to receive their next clue.
- Trendy Connection, Colombo
- One team member must then use a professional sewing machine to properly sew a shirt before receiving their next clue.
- Independence Square, Colombo
- Sam & Renae won A$5,000 home entertainment system from Bing Lee for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 12 (Sri Lanka → Singapore → Australia)Edit
- Flight from Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo to Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore
- Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple
- Teams had to break Durians and search for a Durian with a red colour inside it to receive their next clue.
- Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- Dare: Teams had to traverse the two towers by walking a tightrope to get their clue.
- Stair: Teams had to use the stairs to climb up to the top of the 56-floor Tower 1, take a Singaporean souvenir and then climb the other 56-floor Tower 2 of the hotel and exchange the souvenir for their next clue.
- Hong San See Taoist Temple, Singapore
- Teams had to take a 5 minute palm reading from a fortune teller in order to receive their next clue.
- Jurong Chinese Garden, Singapore
- Singapore Flyer, Singapore
- Teams must ride the Singapore Flyer to receive their next clue, however, only 3 gondolas have an actual clue to follow. If teams pick the wrong gondola, they have to do the full 20-minute rotation before picking a new gondola.
- Flight from Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore to Perth Airport, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Kings Park War Memorial and Eternal Flame, Perth
- Fremantle Prison, Fremantle
- Teams had to unlock cells using provided keys. They must search over 100 doors for the one cell that contains their next clue.
- Cape Peron, Rockingham
- One team member had to grab flags from the ten different countries they visited on the Race and arrange them in the order that they visited them. Once teams got the order of the flags correct, they would be allowed to retrieve the final clue.
- Finish Line: Heirisson Island, Perth
- Tyler & Nathan won A$250,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- First time Israel have two Pit Stops.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)