The Amazing Race Asia 4 is the 4th season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race Asia.
AXN brought The Amazing Race Asia and accepted applications from February 5, 2010until March 22, 2010 . Participants had to be living and/or working in Asia, excluding Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.
- Main article: The Amazing Race Asia 4 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Richard & Richard||Friends||2nd||2nd||6th||1stƒ||1st||1st||2nd||2nd||4th||2nd||1st||4-6|
|Claire & Michelle||Rebel Pals||3rd||7th||4th<||7th||3rd||3rd»||3rd||4th||3rd||3rd||2nd||5-6|
|Hussein & Natasha||Father & Daughter||9th||9th||2nd||5th||7th||2nd||6th6||5th||2nd||1st||3rd6||6-5|
|Jess & Lani||Party Girls||8th||8th||7th||4th||4th||4th||1st||1st||1st||4th||Eliminated 7th||5-5|
|Ethan & Khairie||Friends||1st||5th||5th||3rd||2nd||5th5||4th||3rd||5th||Eliminated 6th||4-5|
|Dimple & Sunaina||Travel Buddies||4th||3rd||1st>||2nd||5th||6th«||5th||6th8||Eliminated 5th||3-5|
|Ivan & Hilda||Married||6th||1st||3rd||6th||6th||7th||Eliminated 4th||3-3|
|Sahil & Manas||Cousins||7th||4th||8th3||8th||8th||Eliminated 3rd||3-2|
|Alan & Wendy||Dating||5th||6th||9th||9th4||Eliminated 2nd||2-2|
|Yani & Nadine||Best Friends||10th||10th2||Eliminated 1st||1-1|
Note 1: Five of the 10 teams arrived at the Pit Stop after an applied a four-hour penalty for failing to complete the Roadblock (only Alan, Claire, Yani, Jess and Natasha). The initial placements for all teams are as follows (the five italicized teams were not given the penalty):
- 1st: Alan & Wendy; 2nd: Ivan & Hilda; 3rd: Richard & Richard; 4th: Claire & Michelle; 5th: Dimple & Sunaina; 6th: Sahil & Manas; 7th: Yani & Nadine; 8th: Jess & Lani; 9th: Hussein & Natasha; 10th: Ethan & Khairie
Note 2: Yani & Nadine were further assessed their 30 minute "marked for elimination" penalty for not checking in 1st. This pushed Jess & Lani and Hussein & Natashaup to 8th and 9th respectively while they themselves fell to last place, which resulted in their elimination.
Note 3: Sahil & Manas initially arrived 7th did not pay their tuk-tuk fare correctly. They had to settle the fare before they were allowed to check-in. During that time, Jess & Lanichecked in at 7th, while Sahil & Manas dropped to 8th.
Note 4: Alan & Wendyhad been "marked for elimination". However, since they checked-in last, they were eliminated without being issued the 30-minute penalty.
Note 5: Ethan & Khairiedeparted the Pit Stop last at the start of Leg 6, as they were flown by helicopter directly to Legazpi Airport as part of the prize won on the previous leg.
Note 6:In the Roadblock of Legs 7 and 11, Hussein found the tasks too difficult to complete and he and Natasha took a 4-hour penalty at the locations of those tasks.
Note 7:Leg 7 featured a Virtual Pit Stop, therefore creating a double-length leg with two Detours and two Roadblocks shown over two episodes.
Note 8: Dimple & Sunaina fell behind the other teams during Leg 8. Whilst still completing the Detour, all the other teams had checked-in at the Pit Stop; Allan asked them to come to the pit-stop for their elimination. In a post-race interview, they revealed that they did complete the detour prior to their elimination.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (Malaysia)Edit
- Starting Line: Thean Hou Temple, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Batu Caves, Gombak, Selangor
- One team member had to ascend the stairs at the Batu Caves complex while carrying an offering and counting the number of steps. Once at the top, they had to exchange their offering and the correct answer of 272 steps to receive their next clue.
- After finishing the Roadblock, teams were instructed to find the location of "the Pit Stop of Episode 8 in the sixteenth season of the American version." This clue sent them to Pinang Peranakan Mansion.
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion, George Town, Penang
- Teams had to find "Baldwin" which refers to a piano where their next clue was in the form of piano sheet music of the song "Amazing Grace".
- Futsal Court, Gelugor
- Each team member had to take a specific number of turns defending the goal against young Futsal players. The team would receive a 2 minute time penalty for each goal scored against them.
- Swettenham Pier, George Town
- Flags: Teams must search five flags around the ship using ship lingo.
- Rags: One team member must lower themselves down to clean windows of the ship, while the other must search for and take a photo of their partner to receive their next clue.
- Star Cruise Pisces 12th Deck, Penang
- Ethan & Khairie won a Sony PlayStation 3 and BRAVIA for each member for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Malaysia)Edit
- Batu Ferringhi, Penang
- Flight from Penang International Airport, Bayan Lepas to Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- Murut Warrior's Village, Tuaran
- Teams must take part in a ceremony in the village which involved tribal dancing and touching a snake.
- Filipino Night Market, Kota Kinabalu
- Teams must eat at least a hundred chicken balls to receive their next clue. The team that ate the most number of chicken balls would have a 20-minute advantage in the next activity, the Roadblock.
- Sutera Harbour Marina, Kota Kinabalu
- One team member had to guide a ring through an underwater rope maze whilst using diving equipment. If the team member did not finish the puzzle in time (which is when the diver instructor told them the time is up), the team would incur a four-hour penalty for not completing the Roadblock (which would be assessed at the pit-stop).
- Sapi Island
- Rapid Water: Teams had to sail a bamboo raft down river rapids and across the river to retrieve their next clue.
- Rapid Fire: Both teammates had to shoot Malaysian slingshots at two targets to receive their next clue.
- Sembulan, Kampung Tanjung Aru
- Ivan & Hilda won a Sony VAIO for each member for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Malaysia → Sri Lanka)Edit
- Flight from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Sepang, Selangor
- Axiata Tower, Kuala Lumpur
- Teams must look at the television screen until they find a picture of a golden buddha, then answer Dialog Telekom on a touchscreen computer to receive their next clue. If a wrong answer is given, teams will have to wait for two minutes before they could answer again.
- Flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Sepang to Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Gangaramaya Temple, Colombo
- Teams had to receive a blessing from the Buddhist monk to receive their next clue.
- Carry It: Teams had to carry 12 blocks of ice to a market vendor across the fish market.
- Count It: Teams had to count fish and give the correct amount of 1100 fish to receive their next clue.
- Nugegoda Station Road - Peanut Vendor, Colombo
- Each team member had to sell 20 bags of peanuts for Rs.15 a piece. They should give the earnings back to the vendor to receive their next clue.
- Trendy Connection, Colombo
- Independence Square, Colombo
- Dimple & Sunaina won a vacation package worth US$3,000 to Colombo, Sri Lanka for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Sri Lanka)Edit
- From Fort Railway Station, Colombo to Galle Railway Station, Galle
- Galle Fort, Galle
- The team had to proceed to the Galle Bus Station and have their heads shaved at a nearby street barber. Once completed, the team had to bring a Hilton Duck and proceed using a marked taxi to the pit stop.
- Galle Lighthouse, Galle
- One team member has to know the year when Sri Lanka became a sovereign state and changed its name from Ceylon to its present name. The team member had to use this year to unlock a treasure chest located along a beach outside the Galle Lighthouse. (The answer needed to unlock the chest is 1-9-7-2.)
- Dialog Service Centre, Galle
- Teams had to find a cellular phone with a message "Congratulations. Correct." from a pile of hundreds of cellular phones (the other phones say, "Sorry, Try Again") to get their next clue.
- From Galle Bus Station, Galle to Ambalangoda Train Station, Ambalangoda
- Ambalangoda Train Station, Ambalangoda
- Teams must search for a Mask Stall Vendor, get a photo of a mask and match it with the person wearing the same mask amidst the crowd of dancing people. Once they match their photo with the correct person, they will receive a Hilton duck which they have to bring to the pit stop, and their next clue.
- Mask Stall Vendor, Ambalangoda
- Coconut Course: Teams had climb up a laddered coconut tree and traverse on a hanging rope between two coconut trees. Once done, they will each receive a coconut which they have to give to the chieftain to get their next clue.
- Language Course: Teams had to go to school and learn from a student ten Sinhalese words. Once they think they have mastered all ten words, they must recite it to a teacher. If they get all ten correct, the teacher will hand them their next clue.
- Kalutara Kalido Beach, Kalutara
- Richard & Richard won US$2,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Sri Lanka → Philippines)Edit
- Flight from Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo to Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila, Philippines
- From Philtranco Pasay Terminal, Pasay City to Legazpi Grand Central Terminal, Legazpi City, Albay or Flight from Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila to Legazpi Airport, Legazpi City
- Ligñon Hill, Legazpi City
- Barangay Budiao, Daraga
- Teams must ride an all-terrain vehicle along a marked course to the Cagsawa Ruins to receive their next clue.
- Cagsawa Ruins, Daraga
- Before the Detour, teams must participate in a traditional Pukpok Palayok (Pot Stroke) game. One team member would be blindfolded and must smash the clay pot where their next clue was contained. The other member must use a tambourine to help guide their blindfolded partner to the pot.
- Jig: Teams would do traditional costumes and dance to the satisfaction of two judges.
- Pig: Teams would compete in a game of catching an oiled pig. They would have to collect two pigs to receive their next clue.
- Misibis Bay Resorts - Misibis Bay Eco Park, Bacacay
- The Intersected teams must clear up all the trash in the selected areas using the trash bag provided by Caltex to receive the next clue. After finishing the task, they were no longer Intersected.
- For the Roadblock, one team member must kayak to the flagged fish farm and find one of the hundreds of clues as only ten hold the next clue (the one that says "Correct!").
- Misibis Bay Resort Amphitheater, Bacacay
- Ethan & Khairie won a trip for two to the Philippines and US$3,000, and a helicopter ride to Legazpi Airport to be given after all teams had departed in the next leg for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Philippines → New Zealand)Edit
- Flight from Legazpi Airport, Legazpi City to Invercargill Airport, Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand
- Te Anau Lake, Te Anau
- Teams must find a fisherman near Te Anau Lake to receive their next clue.
- Pillan's Paddock, Kingston
- Teams had to saw five slabs from a log together and one slab each individually to receive their next clue.
- Nevis Highwire Platform, Nevis River, Otago
- Plunge: Each team member must make a bungee jump from a height of 134 metres (440 ft) above the Nevis River to receive their next clue.
- Swing: Both team members will be seated side by side and swing from a platform 300 metres (980 ft) above the Nevis Canyon to receive their next clue.
- Claire & Michelle U-turned Dimple & Sunaina.
- Queenstown Events Centre, Queenstown
- Teams had to make a touchdown facing three rugby players (some of them are former national team players), and then make a goal in 10 attempts or else face a 10-minute penalty before receiving their next clue.
- Coronet Peak, Queenstown
- One team member to find a clue buried in the snow hill using their avalanche rescue transceiver.
- After team members finish their roadblock, they were asked to ride a 4x4 RV up at the top of Coronet Peak and race on foot to the pit stop.
- Richard & Richard won a vacation package and a dinner for two at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, worth US$5,100 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (New Zealand → Australia)Edit
- Coronet Peak, Queenstown
- Upon departure, teams must travel on foot up the Coronet Peak, where teams must complete a slalom skiing course.
- Pen: Teams must separate three marked sheep from a flock to another pen to receive their next clue.
- Pinot: Teams must carry and fill a wine barrow with wine to receive their next clue.
- Arrowtown Post Office, Arrowtown
- Teams must mail the videos they made during the mandatory rest period.
- Flight from Queenstown Airport, Queenstown to Sydney Airport, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Circular Quay, Sydney
- Teams must look for a man with an umbrella on his right hand and ask him "Got a clue about the weather, mate?" to receive their next clue.
- Hilton Hotel, Sydney
- Teams must make the designated beds within 3 minutes. After 4 failed attempts, teams must face a 10-minute penalty. The quickest team would win a special prize at the pit stop, which went to Ethan & Khairie.
- Sydney Olympic Park, Sydney
- One team member must perform flying trapeze routine to receive their next clue.
- →→ Hyde Park - Archibald Fountain, Sydney
- The leg ends with a Virtual pit stop and therefore creates a double-length leg with leg 8 continued below.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Australia)Edit
- Flight from Sydney Airport, Sydney to Brisbane Airport, Brisbane, Queensland
- Upon arrival at Brisbane Airport, teams must find a van with an Aboriginal art painting contain the word Wicked printed on it.
- Southpoint Indoor Pistol Club, Gold Coast
- Each team member must shoot a target using a .44 magnum pistol to get their next clue.
- Dreamworld Fun Park, Gold Coast
- Teams must ride 120 metres (390 ft) high The Giant Drop, the highest freefall ride in the world, and photograph a koala mascot waving the Race flag. If they weren't able to do so in the allotted time period, they must go on the ride repeatedly until they capture the needed photo.
- WRX Rally Experience Circuit, Gold Coast
- One team member must take a Subaru Impreza WRX and make a lap within 1:42 (one minute and forty-two seconds) to get their next clue. If they did not made the lap after the correct time, they would do it again.
- Kurrawa Beach, Gold Coast
- Teams must search for a clue buried in a marked area along the beach.
- Farm, Coombabah
- Bush Chucker: Teams must throw a boomerang and have it land within a marked circular area.
- Bush Hunter: Teams must throw a hunting spear to a hay bale.
- After doing their Detour, one team member must eat a live witchetty grub, an Aborigine delicacy, to receive their next clue.
- Kangaroo Point Park, Brisbane
- Jess & Lani won a 4-day ski vacation at Niseko, Japan worth US$6,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Ethan & Khairie was also awarded with an upgrade at any Hilton hotel for being the fastest team to complete the Hilton bed-making challenge in the previous leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Australia → Indonesia)Edit
- Flight from Brisbane Airport, Brisbane to Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
- Star Boat Express, Denpasar, Bali
- Teams must sign up for boats leaving for Lombok, with the first boat leaving at 7:00 AM containing two teams, and the second boat leaving at 7:30 AM containing three teams.
- From Star Boat Express, Denpasar, Bali to Mataram, Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara
- Upon arrival at Mataram, teams must search the fishing village for their next clue, which unknown to the teams, was hidden in a boat parked along the beach.
- Pura Meru, Lombok
- Pura Lingsar, Ampenan, Lombok
- Before the Detour, teams must participate in Perang Topat, a rice war ritual where teams were showered with rice powder by locals, before receiving their clue.
- Above: Teams travelled to Mandalika Market and had to carry a basket of vegetables above their heads without their hands touching the basket, for a distance of 50 meters.
- Beyond: Teams had to search Kuburan Cina (Chinese Cemetery) for the tomb of Fam Sam Moy.
- Malimbu Beach, Lombok
- Teams rode an outrigger to Gili Trawangan, where one team member took scuba diving lessons at the Blue Marlin Dive Resort before diving into Halik Reef to retrieve a briefcase. They then returned to Gili Trawangan Island and rode a cidomo, a local horse carriage to the aforementioned resort. There, both team members had to count the money in the briefcase totaling (Rp 3,804,000) and use this as the combination to retrieve the next clue from their Sony VAIO laptop. If they did not enter the correct combination within three attempts, they had to wait for 10 minutes before they can enter another combination.
- Gili Trawangan - Sunset Point, Lombok
- Jess & Lani won a year's supply of Caltex with Techron worth US$5,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Indonesia → South Korea)Edit
- Flight from Selaparang Airport, Mataram to Pohang Airport, Pohang, Gyeongsangbuk, South Korea
- Upon arrival at Pohang, teams had to ask for help for a translation of their clue, instructing them to go to the Hands of Harmony.
- Hands of Harmony - Homigot Sunrise Square, Pohang
- Girimsa Temple, Gyeongju
- Each team member must answer five questions. If both team members' answers match, they will receive their next clue.
- Seokguram Grotto, Gyeongju
- Teams must ring the Reunification bell three times to receive their next clue.
- Hwarang Educational Institute, Gyeongju
- Bow N' Arrow: Teams must choose another team's photograph as target and hit the target three times with a traditional arrow to receive their next clue.
- Rock N' Roll: Teams must build a ceremonial pagoda to a certain height using rocks to receive their next clue.
- Daereungwon Tomb Complex, Gyeongju
- One team member must figure out the correct set of three gates to receive their next clue. If the team member incorrectly chooses a gate, that team member will be blocked by warriors. Each team member will be given three attempts to correctly decode the warrior's code or else they have to go back to the starting line.
- Gyeongju National Park - Anapji Pond, Gyeongju
- Hussein & Natasha won a trip to Hilton in the Maldives worth US$6,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 11 (South Korea → Singapore)Edit
- Flight from Pohang Airport, Pohang to Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore
- Cavenagh Bridge, Singapore
- Teams must locate the lion dancers to receive their next clue.
- East Coast - Red House Seafood Restaurant, Singapore
- Teams must extract 1 kilogram of chili crab to receive their next clue.
- Caltex Service Station, Singapore
- Before the Detour, teams must search one of four Caltex stations and find a vintage car. If the vintage car is no longer in the Caltex Station, the team must proceed to a different Caltex station.
- Stay Up: Teams must successfully ride a wave for an accumulated time of two minutes at the Wave House in Sentosa Island.
- Add Up: Teams must head to the Gmax Reverse Bungee and add up three numbers called out by the host and get the sum correctly to receive their next clue.
- St. James Power Station, Singapore
- Teams have two minutes to unlock their handcuffs and perform an escape illusion to receive their next clue.
- Marina Bay Sands Resort - Towers 1 and 2, Singapore
- One team member must make a tightrope walk from tower 1 to tower 2 of the Marina Bay Sands Resort to get their clue. They must then make their way back to tower 1 to finish the task.
- Marina Bay Sands Resort - Sky Park Swimming Pool
- Teams must ride a marked elevator to the Sky Park Swimming Pool where teams will be tested with their memory on the race. Once they've retrieved answered seven multiple-choice questions correctly using coloured rings, they will receive their final clue.
- Finish Line: Marina Bay Sands Resort - Sky Park Observation Deck
- Richard & Richard won US$100,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- First father/daughter team: Hussein & Natasha.
- First season to start and end in two different countries, starting in Malaysia and ending in Singapore.
- First time an eliminated contestant is absent in the Finish Line: Lani, due to a broken collar bone.
- First time Thailand was not represented.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)