The Amazing Race Asia 3 is the third installment of the reality television game show The Amazing Race Asia. The show features ten teams of two, with a pre-existing relationship, in a race around Asia to win US$100,000.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Vince & Sam||Best Buddies||7th1||3rd||2nd||2nd||1stƒ||1st||2nd||4th||1st||3rd6||1st||4-5|
|Geoff & Tisha||Dating||2nd||5th||5th||6th||4th||3rd||1st>||1st||3rd»||2nd||2nd||5-5|
|Ida & Tania||Actress & Heiress||5th||6th||3rd||1st||5th||5th||5th||3rd5||2nd||1st||3rd||5-5|
|A.D. & Fuzzie||Friends for 15 Years||8th||2nd||4th||5th||3rd||4th||3rd||2nd||4th«||4th6||Eliminated 7th||4-5|
|Henry & Bernie||Brother & Sister||3rd||1st||1st||4th||2nd||2nd||4th<||5th||Eliminated 6th||3-4|
|Mai & Oliver||Friends||1st||8th||6th||3rd||6th4||Eliminated 5th||1-2|
|Niroo & Kapil||Father & Son||9th||4th||7th||7th3||Eliminated 4th||1-23|
|Pailin & Natalie||Beauty Queens||4th||7th||8th2||Eliminated 3rd||1-12|
|Isaac & William||Brothers||6th||9th||Eliminated 2nd||0-1|
|Neena & Amit||Cousins||10th||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Note 1: Vince & Sam originally arrived 5th but they did not pay the taxi driver. They were asked to pay the taxi first before they could be checked in.
Note 2: In Leg 3, Pailin & Natalie incurred a four-hour penalty because Natalie failed to complete the Roadblock. However, the penalty was not assessed because they were already the last team to arrive and were eliminated.
Note 3: In Leg 4, Niroo & Kapil incurred a four-hour penalty because Kapil failed to complete the Roadblock. However, the penalty was not assessed because they were already the last team to arrive and were eliminated.
Note 4: In Leg 5, Mai & Oliver failed to complete the leg after having fallen too far behind the other teams during the leg's first task. Hours after all the teams had checked in, Mai & Oliver still had not completed neither the Roadblock nor the Detour. Allan came over to the area where they had spent the night to inform them of their elimination.
Note 5: Ida & Tania arrived 2nd, but received a 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" and not arriving first. Only A.D. & Fuzzie checked in before the penalty ended, thus Ida and Tania fell to 3rd.
Note 6: Vince & Sam and A.D. & Fuzzie incurred a four-hour penalty because Sam and Fuzzie failed to complete the Roadblock respectively. Since neither team's placement was affected, it was not assessed on A.D. & Fuzzie and the four-hour penalty was assessed on Vince & Sam at the start of the final leg.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Legs and EpisodesEdit
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (Thailand)Edit
- Starting Line: King Rama I Monument, Bangkok, Thailand
- Khaosan Road, Bangkok
- Each team had to consume large bowl of Thai "delicacies", consisting of assorted fried bugs, frogs and scorpions.
- Amphoe Khlong Luang - Caltex Service Station, Pathum Thani Province
- Each team had to completely clean a 22-seat passenger bus, to the Caltex's staff satisfaction. Once they have finished, they will have to register themselves to three different buses which depart on different times to Suphanburi Province, which will then depart to Chiang Mai.
- From Pathum Thani Province to Wat Phai Rong Wua, Suphanburi Province
- Wat Phai Rong Wua, Suphanburi Province
- Teams had to search the temple grounds amongst hundreds of Buddha statues for their next clue. The first two buses, however, will depart 20 minutes after they've arrive at the temple. Teams had to try to find their clue within this time if they want to catch the same bus.
- From Suphanburi Province to Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station, Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai X-Centre, Chiang Mai
- Race: Teams had to proceed to the Chiang Mai X-Centre and drive an off-road buggy over an 8 km track to receive their next clue.
- Rice: Teams must work together to pound rice into paste and make two rice balls using a traditional method, subjected to approval.
- Ratchaphruek Garden, Chiang Mai
- Mai & Oliver won US$2,500 for each of them, courtesy of Standard Chartered Bank for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Thailand → Vietnam)Edit
- Flight of the Gibbon, Mae Kham Pong
- Teams had to go through a jungle heights course consisting of zip-lines and parallel drops.
- Sathit Buarawong Banana Plantation, Chiang Mai
- One team member had to cross the plantation and retrieve a clue from a hanging backpack. The catch was that along the way, snipers brandishing paintball guns would fire at the team member; once shot, the team member must return to the starting point and perform the task again until successful.
- Flight from Chiang Mai International Airport, Chiang Mai to Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Saigon Opera House, Ho Chi Minh City
- Saigon Phố Cafe, Ho Chi Minh City
- Teams had to play a Nokia N-Gage game, known as System Rush: Evolution, on a Nokia N82 handphone and complete three rounds of a specified track to receive their next clue.
- Bến Thành Market, Ho Chi Minh City
- Cái Bè Bus Terminal, Cái Bè, Tien Giang province
- Sampan: Teams must transport fruits on a sampan and row across the river to a designated fruit stall along the river.
- Some Walk: Teams must gather twenty live chickens and bring them to a designated retailer in the nearby market.
- Thánh Nữ Jeanne D'Arc Church, Ho Chi Minh City
- Teams had to choose one of the nine available charity organisations, for which they will purchase, using US$500 from Singha, supplies as donations to the organization.
- Saigon Central Post Office, Ho Chi Minh City
- Museum of Vietnamese History, Ho Chi Minh City
- Henry & Bernie won free fuel with techron for a year, courtesy of Caltex for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Vietnam)Edit
- From Ho Chi Minh City to Huế Bus Station, Huế, Thua Thien - Hue province
- Caltex Service Station, Huế
- Teams must pick a marked jeep to change the tire and engine oil.
- Khải Định Tomb, Huế
- For the Roadblock, one team member had to retrieve seven coins representing the seven emperors of the Nguyễn Dynasty in Vietnam at the tomb of Minh Mạng, bring them back to Khải Định Tomb and put the coins in the correct order of the reign of the emperors in order to receive the Detour clue.
- Sticks: Teams must make ten incense sticks using the demonstrated method.
- Stalks: Teams must whack rice stalks to fill two platters of unhusked rice.
- Quoc Hoc Park, Huế
- Teams must search a marked cyclo for their next clue and use it on their way to the Pit Stop.
- Huế Citadel, Huế
- Henry & Bernie won a Sony Handcam for each team member for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Vietnam → Taiwan)Edit
- Flight from Phu Bai International Airport, Huế to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei, Taiwan
- Red Playhouse, Ximending, Taipei
- Shoot It: Teams drive themselves to the Miniatures Museum of Taiwan and are told to use a Sony Cybershot camera to shoot a very miniature model of a yellow-race envelope hidden inside one of the dioramas. After the photo was printed, the next clue could be found behind their new photo.
- Shape It: Teams drive themselves to Raohe Street Night Market where they will have to solve four sets of figures using a large tangram set.
- Institute for the Blind of Taiwan, Xinzhuang City, Taipei County
- One team member had to be blindfolded and then using their hands only to feel the braille message, translate, letter by letter to the other teammate who may not see their teammate's board to get the correct phrase "Go to Shenkeng". When they correctly give this message, teams will receive their next clue. One team would find a check worth NT$612,000 (US$20,000) courtesy of Standard Chartered along with their next clue and donate it to the said institute before proceeding.
- Shenkeng Street, Shenkeng, Taipei County
- One team member had to completely consume an entire bowl of a Taiwanese/Chinese delicacy: stinky tofu.
- City Hall Square, Taipei
- Ida & Tania won a Nokia N96 handphone for each of them for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Taiwan)Edit
- New Sogo Department Store - Sony Style Store, Taipei
- Teams must find one of thousands of discs in the racks available that displays "Correct! You may receive your next clue." when played on their Blu-ray player, while the others will display "Sorry. Try again."
- Kevin's Tattoo, Taipei
- Teams had to travel to a certain street, where there will find a clue box. The clue would then instruct them to get a permanent tattoo at Kevin's Tattoo.
- Pingsi Coal Mine, Pingsi, Taipei County
- For the Roadblock, one team member had to find a souvenir, which would later be revealed to be a small silver token that had the AXN logo on one side and The Amazing Race Asia logo on the other side in a cart of coal in order to receive the Detour clue.
- Pick: Teams had to drive themselves to a local mall and retrieve three soft toys from a game machine.
- Pail: Teams had to go to the Grand Tong Temple and must fill a bucket full of water and carry it to the top of the mountain where a monk will check to see if they had enough water. If they have enough they will receive their next clue.
- Taipei Astronomical Museum, Taipei
- Vince & Sam won a three-day, two-night holiday in Ko Samui, Thailand, courtesy of Singha Beer for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Taiwan → Hong Kong)Edit
- Flight from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei to Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, China
- King's Park Sports Ground, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon
- Teams had to get through the rugby field while the Standard Chartered rugby team tries to prevent them from getting to the clue box at the opposite end of the field.
- Hollywood Road/Peel Street, Central, Hong Kong Island
- Get Fishy: Teams had to find a seafood store in Graham Street to scale and gut 12 fishes to the satisfaction of a fishmonger, before they would receive their next clue.
- Get Lucky: Teams had to head to one of the designated tables at Mee Lun St. and bite into hundreds of fortune cookies in a marked jar and only when they find the one cookie which contains a fortune regarding their next clue can they proceed.
- From Star Ferry, Central to Star Ferry, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Tung Choi Street - Ladies' Market, Mong Kok, Kowloon
- One team member had to choose one of the provided handbags and search through the crowded market for the lady who is carrying the same handbag as the one the team member has chosen. This lady will hand them their final clue for the leg.
- Blake Pier, Stanley
- Vince & Sam won the same prize they got in the previous leg for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Hong Kong → Macau)Edit
- Boundary Street - Goldfish Market, Mong Kok, Kowloon
- Teams must pick up four goldfish and bring them to a designated pet shop at Bonham Strand.
- From Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Hong Kong to Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Macau by TurboJET
- Senado Square, Macau
- Macau Tower, Macau
- Geoff & Tisha Yielded Henry & Bernie.
- The chosen team member must climb to the top of the Macau Tower, obtain their next clue there, and go down back to their partner before reading their next clue. However, due to the storm, not all the teams who were still performing the Roadblock at the time were allowed to climb to the top as a precaution.
- Sai Van Lake - Dragon Boat Pier, Macau
- Before the Detour, teams must paddle a dragon boat around a floating Caltex buoy.
- Dance: The team members must correctly perform a lion dance routine to the satisfaction of the performance troupe.
- Chance: Teams must don formal attire and play a game of blackjack in the casino of Hotel Royal Macau; they must beat the dealer nine times (as denoted by the letters of the word COMPLETED) before receiving their next clue.
- A-Ma Cultural Village, Coloane
- Teams must rearrange lanterns bearing the animals in the Chinese zodiac in their correct order before being let into the Village and the Pit Stop.
- Geoff & Tisha won a Sony BRAVIA and a Sony PlayStation 3 for each of them for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Macau → Hong Kong → India)Edit
- St. Paul Ruins, Macau
- Macau Tower, Macau
- The chosen team member must perform a bungee jump from the top of the Macau Tower to receive their next clue. The first team to complete the task will receive a helicopter ride from Macau to Hong Kong instead of the TurboJET ferry ride.
- From Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Macau to Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Hong Kong by TurboJET
- MASkargo Airport Hangar, Hong Kong
- Flight from Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong to Cochin International Airport, Kochi, Kerala, India
- Neelam Kulangara Devi Temple, Kochi
- Teams had to get a blessing from the Indian priest before they received their next clue.
- Elephant Wash Area in SPS Temple, Kumbalam, Kochi
- Before the Detour, teams must wash an elephant using the traditional way of using coconut husks as abrasives.
- Fish: The team members must carry six large swordfish to a nearby restaurant before receiving their next clue.
- Fill: Teams must fill an intricate floor pattern using coloured rice before receiving their next clue.
- Bolgatty Palace, Kochi
- Geoff & Tisha won a holiday in Hong Kong, China, courtesy of Caltex for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (India)Edit
- Flight from Cochin International Airport, Kochi to Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Pune
- Teams must hit a cricket ball onto a board decorated with the Race colours. If they did not manage to do so in 36 balls or under, teams incurred a ten minute penalty.
- After the cricket task, teams use a map application on the Nokia 6210 Navigator to direct their auto rickshaw driver to their next destination, the Shaniwar Wada.
- Shaniwar Wada, Pune
- One team member had to find the correct pheta from 50 men who were walking around the castle. If that person found the pheta with the word "Correct" inside, they received the next clue.
- Sony World - Equity Tower, Pune
- Before the Detour, teams had to persuade the locals to tell them a joke while one team member recorded this story into the Sony Handycam camera, then teams have to come back and replay the video to the staff. If they think the joke is funny enough, they gave teams the next clue.
- Push: Teams had to go to Datta Shinde Pottery Shop and push the cart with 75 pots one kilometre to Rajkumar Provision Stores in Mahatma Phule Market with 70 or more pots unbroken at the destination before receiving the next clue.
- Crush: Teams had to go to the market, make 40 glasses of sugar cane juice and sell them to earn 200 or more to receive the next clue.
- Desai Bahndhu Ambewale, Pune
- Gokhale Institute, Pune
- Vince & Sam won a Nokia N96 handphone for each of them for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (India → Oman)Edit
- Bhaja Caves, Karli
- Central Train Station, Pune
- Statue of Mahatma Gandhi, Pune
- Standard Chartered Bank building, Pune
- Teams must insert the ATM card provided to them and punch in the year of Mahatma Gandhi's birth (1869) as the PIN number. The next clue would be printed on the receipt. If a team made three unsuccessful attempts, they would incur a ten-minute time penalty before receiving their next clue. This is why teams must take note of the plaque at Gandhi's statue on the way to the bank building, although some teams did not do this and still got the correct answer just by asking several passers-by.
- Flight from Pune International Airport, Pune to Muscat International Airport, Muscat, Oman
- Al Alam Palace, Muscat
- Nizwa Fort, Nizwa
- Teams search the correct clue box containing their next clue from among the other clue boxes scattered around the fort.
- Muttrah Souq, Muttrah
- Carpet: Teams had to walk to the carpet shop and find two exact carpets, using the images in the Sony Cybershot as references.
- Count It: Teams had to walk to a shop and count the dry lime and will only receive their clue once they state the correct amount to the shop owner (correct numbers were 1601, 1595, 1598 and 1577).
- Wadi Tanuf, Nizwa
- One team member must zip across the canyon to the other side to receive the Pit Stop clue.
- Ida & Tania won US$2,500 for each of them, courtesy of Standard Chartered Bank for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 11 (Oman → Thailand)Edit
- Office of Muscat Governorate, Muscat
- Said's Camel Farm, Al-Abyad
- Before the Roadblock, teams must move ten camels into the holding pens.
- One team member must locate one of seven special keys out of seventy keys buried in the sand using the metal detector to unlock the clue box.
- Flight from Muscat International Airport, Muscat to Phuket International Airport, Phuket, Phuket Province, Thailand
- Sam Kong Temple, Phuket
- Thai Trade Food Ice Factory, Siray Island
- Teams must search a small Amazing Race ice cube buried in a barrel of ice to get the next clue.
- Laem Hin Pier, Phuket
- Pull: Teams must kayak to a nearby oyster farm and find the marked shell by pulling the oyster lines, then the teams must bring the marked shell back to the beach to exchange it with their next clue.
- Plunge: Teams must snorkel and search for a giant clam shell with a pearl inside; the pearl should be exchanged with their next clue.
- After the Detour, teams must dig up a treasure chest and carry it to the Finish Line in Rang Yai Beach.
- Finish Line: Rang Yai Beach, Phuket
- Vince & Sam won US$100,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- Lowest number of couples in love, one.
- First and so far the only season to have the first leg an elimination leg.
- First and so far the only season to take place in only one continent (Asia).
- Part of the footage from Episode 1 was used in the 9th episode in The Amazing Race 16.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)