|The Amazing Race Asia 1|
|Winners||Zabrina & Joe Jer|
|Aired||November 9, 2006 – February 1, 2007|
|Filming||May 25, 2006 – June 18, 2006|
The Amazing Race Asia 1 is the first season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race Asia. It premiered on November 9, 2006 and ended on February 1, 2007 on AXN.
- Main article: The Amazing Race Asia 1 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- Click on the icons in the column headings to re-sort the columns. An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Zabrina & Joe Jer||Co-Workers||3rd||4th||5th||6th||3rd||3rd||6th||5th||4th/4th||3rd||2nd||1st||6-6|
|Sandy & Francesca||Dating||10th||9th||2nd||3rd||5th||1st||4th||3rd||5th/1st>||1st||3rd||2nd||6-6|
|Andrew & Syeon||Dating||5th1||8th||8th||1st||2nd||4th||2nd||4th||2nd/3rd||2nd||1st||3rd||6-6|
|Mardy & Marsio||Brothers||1st||2nd||6th||4th||6th||5th||5th||1stƒ||3rd/2nd||4th||4th||Eliminated 7th||4-6|
|Andy & Laura||Engaged||7th||7th||7th||7th4||1st||2nd7||1st||2nd||1st/5th<||Eliminated 6th||5-4|
|Howard & Sahran||Best Friends||9th2||3rd||1st||8th5||4th||6th||3rd||6th||Eliminated 5th||4-3|
|Sharon & Melody||Best Friends||6th||5th||3rd||2nd||7th||7th||Eliminated 4th||2-3|
|Sahil & Prashant||Models||8th2||1stƒ||4th||5th||8th6||Eliminated 3rd||2-2|
|Aubrey & Jacqueline||Actress/Model||4th||6th||9th||Eliminated 2nd||1-1|
|Jeena & Ernie||Married||2nd||10th||Eliminated 1st||0-1|
Note 1: Andrew & Syeon initially arrived 1st. However, they did not follow the trail as instructed in their clue to the Pit Stop, and were asked to complete it before checking in. Four teams checked in during that time period, dropping them to 5th.
Note 2: For unknown reasons on the subsequent Leg, the starting placements of Howard & Sahran and Sahil & Prashant were switched, resulting in Howard & Sahran starting in 8th place and Sahil & Prashant starting in 9th.
Note 3: Five of the nine teams arrived at the Pit Stop after applied a four-hour penalty for failed to complete the Roadblock (only Joe Jer, Marsio, Andy, Syeon and Aubrey). The initial placements for all teams are as follows (The four italicized teams were not given the penalty):
- 1st: Zabrina & Joe Jer; 2nd: Howard & Sahran; 3rd: Sandy & Francesca; 4th: Mardy & Marsio; 5th: Andy & Laura; 6th: Andrew & Syeon; 7th: Sharon & Melody; 8th: Sahil & Prashant; 9th: Aubrey & Jacqueline. However, Aubrey & Jacqueline were not issued the penalty and was eliminated.
Note 4: Laura suffered an injury to her left Leg on the way to Oceanworld in Sydney, Australia. After the tests were done, she was allowed to continue the next Leg of the race.
Note 5: Howard & Sahran were issued a four-hour penalty because Howard failed to complete the Roadblock. They checked in the pit stop last, but were notified as a non-elimination Leg. The 4-hour penalty they took from the roadblock would be instead applied at the starting time at Leg 5.
Note 6: Sahil & Prashant initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 1-hour penalty because they were driven around in a private vehicle in Devonport, breaking a Race rule prohibiting hitch-hiking. The last three teams (Sandy & Francesca, Mardy & Marsio and Sharon & Melody) checked in during their penalty time and were eliminated before the one hour penalty had elapsed.
Note 7: Andy & Laura were caught speeding at 146 km/h while the speed limit was 100 km/h. The penalty was 2 minutes times the number of km/h by which they had exceeded the speed limit. They were issued a 92-minute penalty to be assessed at the start of the following Leg, therefore departing at the pit-start last.
Note 8: Leg 9 is a double-length Leg with two Detours and two Roadblocks, shown over two episodes. The Yield appeared before the second Detour.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Legs and EpisodesEdit
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (Malaysia)Edit
Title: "I Don't Think I Can Do This" - Sahran
- Starting Line: Independence Square, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Berjaya Times Square, Kuala Lumpur
- Teams had to rappel down from the 8-story level of the shopping mall. It was mentioned that it was optional but teams would face a time penalty.
- Craft Cultural Complex, Kuala Lumpur
- Paint: Members of each team would work together to make a batik painting based on the design shown to them in order to receive their next clue.
- Pot: One team member would make a pot from clay using a pottery wheel while the other member controlled the wheel's spin in order to receive their next clue.
- Shah Alam Stadium - City Carting Enterprise, Shah Alam, Selangor
- Team members must each complete four consecutive laps around the circuit in go-karts before receiving their next clue.
- Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve, Kuala Lumpur
- Teams were instructed to follow a certain trail in the Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve to the top of the Kuala Lumpur Tower in order to get to the pit stop.
- Kuala Lumpur Tower, Kuala Lumpur
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Malaysia → Indonesia)Edit
Title: "They're Speedy, They're Fast And They're First" - Howard
- Flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Ragunan Zoo, Jakarta
- One team member must retrieve the clue in a box located inside a snake pit containing dangerous species second to anaconda in size, within 2 minutes.
- SMA Negeri 60 School, Jakarta
- Teams must search among students listening to a Sony Walkman MP3 player that plays the "Fast Forward Award" message.
- Taman Mini Indonesia Indah - West Sumatera Pavilion, Jakarta
- Before the Detour, teams must perform a native Minangkabau plate dance called tari piring correctly before they received their next clue.
- Push: Teams had to push their bakso carts 500 metres (0.31 mi) along a marked route, without spilling any soy sauce, while singing a traditional song.
- Sell: Teams had to sell (or eat) 15 bowls of bakso, each with a minimum selling price of Rp 2,000 to get their next clue.
- National Monument, Jakarta
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Indonesia)Edit
Title: "Give Me The Strength, Give Me The Strength" - Howard
- Flight from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, Jakarta to Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
- Kuta Beach, Kuta
- One team member had to dig in a marked area of sand on the beach for a small wooden surfboard token hidden up to 40 cm beneath the sand.
- Internet Outpost Travellers Lounge, Kuta
- Teams must access the MSN Search website at the internet cafe's computers and search for the words "Amazing Race Asia" to find their next clue, which they may print out or received from an attendant.
- Ubud Monkey Forest, Ubud
- Wet: Teams had to traverse down 500 steps to the Ayung River, ride through the white water rapids and complete a two-mile course on the water by Bali Adventure Rafting.
- Dry: Teams had to ride on an elephant and go through a course after which they will be given the next clue in Elephant Safari Park.
- Uluwatu Caves, Uluwatu
- Tanah Lot Temple, Tabanan
- Howard & Sahran won a Sony High-Definition Handycam for each of them for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Indonesia → Australia)Edit
Title: "Just Shut Up And Do It" - Mardy
- Flight from Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali to Sydney Airport, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Dawes Point - Pier 1, Sydney
- Elevation: Teams climbed up a large number of steps to get to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, where they received their next clue.
- Crustacean: Teams made their way on foot to Circular Quay, where they searched for the seafood restaurant Doyle's at the Quay. Once there, they shelled 14 kilograms of cold prawns. They had to ensure that the tail, the head and the back were properly removed. Once the restaurant chef/waiter gave his approval, they received their next clue, on a silver platter.
- Mrs Macquarie's Chair, Sydney
- World Square - SonyCentral, Sydney
- Teams had to take a Sony HD Camera and use it to record a video of someone singing a local bush ballad, titled "Click Go the Shears". Once they were done, they had to go back to SonyCentral and have the video be played on a television. If the person they filmed had sung the lyrics to the correct tune, the staff at SonyCentral would hand them their next clue. If not, they would have to re-do the task.
- From Circular Quay wharf, Sydney to Manly wharf, Manly by Sydney Ferries
- Oceanworld Manly, Manly
- One team member had to dive into the Aquarium in Oceanworld Manly, where they had to swim with sharks, stingrays, turtles, fishes, etc. Once inside, they had to look for their clue underwater and swim to it in order to retrieve it.
- From Manly wharf, Manly to Circular Quay wharf, Sydney
- Teams must take a water taxi to the pit stop at The Tall Bounty in Cirqular Quay.
- Circular Quay - The Tall Bounty, Sydney
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Australia → New Zealand)Edit
Title: "It's Blowing Like Your Mum's Pants On A Windy Day" - Howard
- Flight from Sydney Airport, Sydney to Auckland Airport, Auckland, New Zealand
- From Auckland Ferry Terminal, Auckland to Devenport Ferry Terminal, Devonport, Auckland
- Devonport Ferry Terminal, Devonport
- Teams had to search near the Devonport Terminal for a child on a swing. She would hand them their next clue.
- From Devonport Ferry Terminal, Devonport to Auckland Ferry Terminal, Auckland
- Victoria Park, Auckland/Westhaven Marina, Auckland
- Rugby: Teams have to take a taxi to Victoria Park. Once there, they will have put on rugby jerseys and kick rugby balls to score 3 goals. The goals would only be counted if the rugby ball is kicked into the enclosed posts and is 22 metres and above.
- Rigging: Teams would have to travel to Westhaven Marina and find the yachts. Once there, the instructor will give the teams instructions on how to use ropes and knots to get the sail up. Once everything is done correctly and the instructor is happy, teams will receive their next clue.
- Sky Tower, Auckland
- Before the Roadblock, teams had to put on orange jumpsuits and perform the Sky City Vertigo Climb. This task involved teams having to climb up a ladder to the top of the Sky Tower where they would have the nicest view of Auckland. Their next clue will be handed to them only after they have completed the climb. Teams then make their way to a platform on level 53.
- For the Roadblock, one team member had to jump 192 metres off the Sky Jump while their teammate, who is below, uses a Sony Ericsson Cybershot camera to take a picture of them doing this task.
- Auckland Museum, Auckland
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (New Zealand)Edit
Title: "What Have You Been Eating!" - Zabrina
- Flight from Auckland Airport, Auckland to Dunedin International Airport, Dunedin, Otago
- Caltex Petrol Kiosk, Queenstown
- Teams had to fill up their vehicles with fuel and pay for it using a Caltex Cash Card.
- Skyline Gondola, Bob's Peak
- Ledge: Each team member will take turns performing the ledge swing, which hurls them 400m above Queenstown.
- Luge: Each team member must complete a 830m circuit on a luge 4 times before getting their next clue.
- Chinese Settlement, Arrowtown
- Offroad Adventures, Queenstown
- Teams had to drive in Quad Bikes around a tricky and muddy course to get to their next clue.
- Nevis Highwire Platform, Queenstown
- One team member will have to bungee jump 134 metres (440 ft) over Nevis Valley, reputedly the world’s wildest bungee jump. They only have 2 minutes after they step on the platform to do so, or forfeit their turn.
- Chard Farm Winery, Gibbston, Queenstown
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (New Zealand → Singapore → Thailand)Edit
Title: "Don't Stand There Doing Nothing!" - Andy
- Flight from Queenstown Airport, Queenstown to Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore
- MacPherson - Caltex Petrol Station, Singapore
- Each team had to clean up an extremely dirty Ford Focus car until the Caltex employee in charge is satisfied.
- Suntec City - Fountain of Wealth
- Flight from Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore to Don Mueang International Airport, Bangkok, Thailand
- Wat Niwet Thamaprawat, Ayutthaya Province
- Teams had to take a cable car over the river and then search the temple grounds for several clue boxes. Only one of these clue boxes would contain the right clue. Teams then had to figure out that their next destination is the Golden Mount, by finding out the monument on the Thai 2 Baht coin enclosed in their clue envelope.
- Golden Mount, Bangkok
- One team member of each team has to climb to the top of the temple and then search through 560 golden bells for 100 clue capsules containing silver slips of paper. Out of the 100 silver slips of paper, only 6 would contain the correct slip of paper. They would have to show it to a temple worker, who will give them the teams their next clue if it is indeed the correct clue.
- Memorial for People Born in the Year of Pig/Pig Monument, Bangkok
- Bacon: Teams would have to find marked Tuk-Tuks on Larn Luang Road and then direct their Tuk-Tuk drivers to drive them to the Memorial for People Born in the Year of Pig (called Pig Monument by the racers). Teams are allowed to seek directions from locals, but must not get assistance from the driver.
- Eggs: Teams would have to travel to an egg stall and using a trolley, deliver 26 trays of eggs to a nearby egg market. However, if any eggs are delivered broken, the stall owner would instruct the teams to re-deliver that number of unbroken eggs.
- Wat Pho, Bangkok
- Andy & Laura won a year's supply of an engine-cleaning fuel with Caltex for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Thailand)Edit
Title: "My Legs Are Shaking Like Jelly" - Andrew
- From Southern Bus Terminal, Bangkok to Krabi Bus Terminal, Krabi City, Krabi
- Hat Nopparat Thara National Park, Krabi
- Starting from here, teams will take a long-tail boat to their next destinations for the rest of the Leg.
- Ao Nang, Krabi
- Teams had to find a kayak on Pranang Bay and then using it to look for the Fast Forward clue in one of the many hidden caves near the area.
- Koh Poda/Poda Island, Krabi
- Smash: Teams would have to smash 75 coconuts with a hammer to find one with red ink inside it.
- Grab: Teams would have to snorkel and swim around 100 buoys which contain 100 clues, only ten of which are the correct clue.
- Railay Beach, Krabi
- One team member will have to climb up the face of Railay East 123 Wall in order to retrieve the next clue.
- Koh Hong Lagoon, Krabi
- Koh Pak Bia, Krabi
Leg 9 - Episodes 9 & 10 (Thailand → India)Edit
Title: "This Is Totally, Totally Out Of This World!" - Marsio
- Flight from Krabi Airport, Krabi to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- St. Teresa of Avila Church, Kolkata
- Teams were given the option to also light a candle.
- Tollygunge Metro Train Station, Kolkata
- One team member polish 7 bystanders' shoes and charge at least 5 for their service. Once they are done, the professional would hand them their next clue.
- Peerless Inn Hotel – Aaheli Restaurant, Kolkata
- Teams had to eat a traditional Bengali Indian meal. Only when they have eaten it the waiters/chef would hand them their next clue.
- Kanishka's Sari Boutique
- Teams had to search for Kanishka's Sari Boutique for their next clue hidden amongst hundreds of saris and silks.
- West Bengal Kabaddi Association, Kolkata/Maniktala Bazar, Kolkata
- Carry: Teams would have to deliver 80 litres of milk by carrying the jugs on their heads and pour them into a metal bucket a distance away. Once all the milk have been delivered, teams would receive their next clue.
- Count: Teams would have to go to a market and then count the number of betel nuts in a basket. Teams can only guess once per time they are seen counting the entire basket of nuts.
- →→ Kolay Market - Indian Overseas Bank in Bepin Behari Ganguly Street, Kolkata
Title: "War Has Begun!" - Andy
- From Sealdah Railway Station, Kolkata to New Delhi Railway Station, Delhi
- Red Fort, Delhi
- Sunny International Spice Shop in Gadodia Market, Khari Baoli, Delhi/Chandni Chowk and Lahore Gate Crossing, Delhi
- Deliver: Teams would have to carry sacks of spices and deliver them to a spice shop which they only have a picture for reference.
- Donkey: Teams would have to transport onions using a donkey and walk it to the onion store before the vendor will hand teams their next clue.
- Tibetan Monastery Market - Garib Guashala, Delhi
- One team member from each team had to carry pails of cow manure and then use it to make dung cakes by adding water and sticking them onto the wall. If they drop, teams would have to re-do that one.
- Jain Mandir Dada Bari, Delhi
- Sandy & Francesca won a holiday to Langkawi, Malaysia, courtesy of AirAsia for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 11 (India → United Arab Emirates)Edit
Title: "This Is Going To Be Embarrassing!" - Zabrina
- Flight from Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi to Dubai International Airport, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Abra Station, Dubai
- No one used the Yield in this leg.
- Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club, Dubai
- One team member to complete a 9-hole golf course using only a putter and a club. A lost ball or a broken club requires the player to return to the first tee for a replacement.
- Dubai International Marine Club - Leopard of Dubai, Dubai
- Mall of the Emirates - Ski Dubai, Dubai
- Hack: Teams had to chisel their way through a 150 kg block of ice to release their next clue, using only a chisel and a hammer.
- Hike: Teams had to climb the steepest slope in Ski Dubai while carrying 25 kg worth of skiing equipment. Their next clue would be collected at the top of the slope.
- Gold Souk - Modern Jewellery Shop, Dubai
- Margham Desert Camp, Dubai
Leg 11 - Episode 12 (United Arab Emirates)Edit
Title: "Oh My Goodness, I Have To Eat A Brain!" - Syeon
- Big Red Al Hamar - Desert Area 53, Dubai
- Ride: Teams had to sit on a camel and guide it through a marked course and collect five flags while using only a camel stick.
- Seek: Teams must find a souvenir in a marked plot of sand, using a metal detector.
- Eye of the Emirates, Sharjah
- Teams had to choose one of the 42 cabins on the Eye of the Emirates that held a clue, with only five of the cabins containing their actual correct clue. The other cabins held clues that read "Sorry, try again" and teams had to complete one revolution of the ferris wheel before they could pick again.
- Raghdan Restaurant, Dubai
- One team member had to eat an Arabian specialty dish, which consisted of brains and bread.
- Saeed Al Maktoum House, Dubai
- Wild Wadi Water Park - Jumeirah Sceirah, Jumeirah, Dubai
- Team members had to take turns to ride the Jumeirah Sceirah, the tallest and fastest free-fall water slide outside of North America.
- Mina A' Salam Beach, Jumeirah, Dubai
- Andrew & Syeon won a holiday to Gold Coast, Australia, courtesy of Caltex for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 12 - Episode 13 (United Arab Emirates → Malaysia)Edit
Title: "24 Days, 15 Cities, 39,000 Kilometres And It Comes Down To This" - Allan Wu (Host, non-racer)
- Mina A' Salam Beach, Dubai
- Prior to departure from the Pit Stop, teams had to complete a jigsaw puzzle to reveal the country of their next location.
- Flight from Dubai International Airport, Dubai to Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Sepang, Selangor, Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur Tower, Kuala Lumpur
- Flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Sepang to Kuching International Airport, Kuching, Sarawak
- Upon arrival at Kuching, teams had to find a specific cat statue.
- Cat Statue, Kuching
- Old Courthouse, Kuching
- Brain: Teams had to assemble a bench using only a Sony Cybershot picture as reference.
- Brawn: Teams had to go to a wet market and use traditional methods to carry 30 kg of fruits a certain distance.
- Sarawak Cultural Village, Kuching
- Teams had to search for their next clue hidden inside one of the longhouses. Their next clue instructed each team member must hit three coloured pineapples each using darts and a blowpipe.
- Permai Rainforest Resort, Kuching
- One team member must complete a rope-based obstacle course.
- Finish Line: Bako National Park, Kuching
- Zabrina & Joe Jer won US$100,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- First all-female team to win, Zabrina & Joe Jer.
- First time visit to Indonesia.
- First international version to visit Asia and Oceania.
- First season to not have parent-child teams.
- First time ever to peg the first leg as a non-elimination leg.
- Only season to have episode titles.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24)
Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, Survivor: Wikia - Sardinia!