|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
The Amazing Race 9 is the ninth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on February 28, 2006 and ended on May 17, 2006 on CBS.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 9 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|BJ & Tyler||Best Friends||2nd||1st||4th/2nd||1st||2nd||5th2||5th||3rd||4th>||1stƒ||1st||1st||6-5|
|*Eric & Jeremy||Friends||1st||2nd||1st/1st||2nd||1st||1stƒ||4th||1st||2nd||2nd||2nd||2nd||6-5|
|Ray & Yolanda||Dating||7th||5th||3rd/7th||7th||6th||3rd2||3rd||4th||1st||3rd||3rd||3rd||6-53|
|Joseph & Monica||Dating||6th||3rd||8th/6th||3rd||3rd||2nd||2nd||2nd||3rd<||4th||Eliminated 8th||5-5|
|Fran & Barry||Married 40 Years||8th||9th||5th/4th||4th||4th||4th||1st||5th||Eliminated 7th||4-4|
|Lake & Michelle||Married Parents||5th||7th||2nd/3rd||5th>||5th||6th2||Eliminated 6th||4-2|
|Dave & Lori||Dating||4th||4th||9th/5th||6th||7th||Eliminated 5th||3-2|
|*Danielle & Dani||Childhood Friends||9th||8th||6th/8th||8th<||Eliminated 4th||1-3|
|Wanda & Desiree||Mother/Daughter||3rd||6th||7th/9th||Eliminated 3rd||1-2|
|Lisa & Joni||Sisters||10th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||0-1|
|John & Scott||Lifelong Friends||11th||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Leg 3 was double-length, with two Detours and two Roadblocks, shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the leg's halfway point.
Note 2: Ray & Yolanda (who initially arrived 2nd) and BJ & Tyler (5th) were each issued a 15-minute penalty for taking a bus instead of a train all the way to the Isthmos Train Station. While the penalty resulted in Ray & Yolanda dropping to 3rd, BJ & Tyler's placement was not affected. Lake & Michelle were eligible to be penalized for the same infraction, but they were the last team to arrive to the pit stop, resulting in their elimination.
Note 3: While neither Ray nor Yolanda was shown performing the Roadblock on the final leg before arriving at the Finish Line, a montage shown on The Early Show the next day showed Yolanda as the member who had done the Roadblock task. This is included in the Roadblock count.
The episode titles are:
- "Here We Go, Baby, Off to Win a Million Bucks!" – John
- "I'm Filthy And I Love It" – Monica
- "I'm In Russia Playing With Dolls" – Jeremy
- "It's Not Over Until The Phil Sings" – Tyler
- "Good Thing I Took That Human Anatomy Class in High School" – Tyler
- "Sleep Deprivation Is Really Starting to Irritate Me" – Lake
- "Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes" – Tyler
- "Here Comes The Bedouin" – Fran
- "Do You Know How Much Running I Did Today, Phil?" – Jeremy
- "Man, They Should Have Used Their Fake Names" – Eric
- "I Think This Monkey Likes Me" – Eric
- "5 Continents, 9 Countries, More Than 59,000 Miles" – Phil Keoghan
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → Brazil)Edit
- Morrison, Colorado, USA (Red Rocks Amphitheatre) (Starting Line)
- Denver (Denver International Airport) to São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil (Guarulhos International Airport)
- São Paulo (Hotel Unique)
- São Paulo (Viaduto Santa Efigênia)
- São Paulo (Santa Cecilia - 114A Rua Frederico Abranches)
- São Paulo (Estádio Municipal Paulo Machado de Carvalho)
The first Detour of the Race was Rotor Head or Motor Head. In Rotor Head, teams had to travel to Campo de Marte Airport and locate one of three buildings varied in distance and each location had a limited number of tickets. Teams are need to find the closest building from a flight directory (Edificio São Luis Gonzaga, Atrium V and Hotel Meliá), then travel by helicopter to the rooftop of that building to search the designated area for their next clue. There are limited number of flights available to any one of these given buildings. Eric and Jeremy, BJ and Tyler, Dave and Lori, Wanda and Desiree, Joseph and Monica, Danielle and Dani, Fran and Barry, Lisa and Joni, and John and Scott completed this option. In Motor Head, teams had to travel to a motorcycle shop named Caverna Moto Peças and assemble a motorcycle, using an assembled motorcycle as a model. Then, using the parts provided and finished model for reference. When the motorcycle is properly assembled, the mechanic could start the bike and he would receive their next clue. Lake and Michelle and Ray and Yolanda completed this option.
- Additional Tasks
- At the sanctuary, teams had to witness a traditional ceremony and light a white candle to receive their next clue.
Leg 2 (Brazil)Edit
- São Paulo (Edifício Copan - Bloco F)
- São Paulo (Terminal Rodoviário Barra Funda - Terminal Turístico) to Brotas, Sao Paulo (Terminal Rodoviário de Brotas)
- Brotas (Volkswagen Beetle Terminal Rodoviário de Brotas Parking Lot)
- Brotas (Fazenda Primavera da Serra)
In the first Roadblock of the race, teams had to climb one of three stairwells 400 feet on a fire escape of the Edificio Copan. Once on the top, they would put harness and rappel down the building. But in order which they arrived at the top would determine the order in which they would descend. The Detour choices were Press It or Climb It. In Press It, teams drive to Camping Bela Vista to process raw sugar cane and distill its juice. Then, teams have to make 500 ml of ethanol to fuel their cars as an alternative fuel source. After completing the task, teams would had pour to newly created ethanol in their car to continuing on. Dave and Lori, Wanda and Desiree, and Lisa and Joni completed this option. In Climb It, teams travel to Usina Jacaré and hike to a nearby waterfall where they climb 90 feet up a waterfall using mechanical ascenders. BJ and Tyler, Eric and Jeremy, Joseph and Monica, Ray and Yolanda, Lake and Michelle, Fran and Barry, and Danielle and Dani completed this option.
Leg 3 (Brazil → Russia → Germany) Edit
- Moscow (Sheremetyevo International Airport) to Frankfurt, Germany (Frankfurt International Airport)
- Frankfurt, Germany (Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof station) to Stuttgart, Germany (Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof station)
- Stuttgart (Mercedes-Benz Werk Untertürkheim or Mercedes-Benz Factory)
- Bad Tölz (Ellbach Field)
- Grünwald (Bavaria Film Studios)
- Munich (Siegestor)
The Detour for the first half of the leg was Scour or Scrub. In Scour, teams had to travel to Dubrovka Theatre to search among 1,500 pieces of Russian nesting dolls to find one of 10 microscopic clues hidden inside the doll. Eric and Jeremy, Lake and Michelle, Ray and Yolanda, BJ and Tyler, and Fran and Barry completed this option. In Scrub, teams had to travel to a trolley bus depot at 8 Trolley Park to thoroughly wash a Russian public trolley bus. When the bus was cleaned, a bus driver would give them their next clue. Wanda and Desiree, Danielle and Dani, Joseph and Monica, and Dave and Lori completed this option.
The Roadblock from the second half of the leg required had to search a large field where one team member had to find 150 hats and feet around the field into one of nine Travelocity gnomes hidden underneath 11 hats and feet would be a gnome itself for their next clue. The Detour for the second half of the leg is either Slap It or Break It. In Slap It, teams learn and perform German folk dance and correctly perform to get it right for their directions. But teams with the right rhythm could finish fast. When the folk dance is properly correct, the actor would get their next clue. Fran and Barry, Joseph and Monica, Ray and Yolanda, Danielle and Dani, and Wanda and Desiree completed this option. In Break It, teams took either to break a table full of stunt bottles over each others' heads until they find prost, the German word for Cheers written on the back of the label. However, they could only smash one bottle per cuckoo from a traditional German cuckoo clock. Eric and Jeremy, Lake and Michelle, BJ and Tyler and Dave and Lori completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- At Kilometer 114, teams had to take a zipline from the top of the hill to the bottom for getting the next clue.
- At the Mercedes-Benz headquarters, teams chose a Mercedes-Benz vehicle and chose a driver for their thrilling ride on the test track. After taking a spin in the high-speed over 170 kilometers per hour when their cars turned to an almost 90 degree angle, they would receive their next clue.
Leg 4 (Germany → Italy)Edit
- Munich, Germany (Munich International Airport) to Palermo, Italy (Palermo International Airport)
- Palermo (Teatro Massimo or Opera Theater)
- Castellammare del Golfo or Castell Fortress (Fortress - Seaside Terrace)
- Segesta (Teatro di Segesta or Theater of Segesta)
- Segesta (Tempio di Segesta or Temple of Segesta)
In this Detour for this leg, teams need to choose between Laundry or Foundry. In Laundry, teams need to find Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi to search through over 2,400 items of laundry for one of sixteen items of clothing bearing a red and yellow tag. If the red and yellow tag is found, a laundry lady would get their next clue. BJ and Tyler, Eric and Jeremy, Fran and Barry, Dave and Lori, Lake and Michelle, and Danielle and Dani completed this option. In Foundry, teams had to walk a nearby metal works named Premiata Fonderia Birrione Campane at 8 Via Renda to pick up a 110 pound church bell. Then using a vehicle known as Ape, they have to drive the bell, drop-off at Via Don Leonardo Zangara and delivered it to Chiesa Maria Del Soccorso for a priest to get their next clue. Joseph and Monica and Ray and Yolanda completed this option. For the Roadblock, teams had to correctly piece together of a classical Greek statue; racers were not told that there were two extra pieces that did not belong.
Leg 5 (Italy)Edit
- Catania, Sicily (Anfiteatro Romano or Roman Amphitheater)
- Catania (Storico la Pescheria or The Pescheria Market)
- Siracusa (Ponte Umbertino or Kayak Polo Club)
- Siracusa (Fonte Aretusa or Heavenly Natural Spring)
In the Detour for this leg, teams chose between Little Fish or Big Fish. In Big Fish, teams have need to carry a 17 kilogram swordfish from a street vendor in Via Alessi, then carry another sixth of a mile to Storico la Pescheria. At the market, teams had to find Jagino, the fish market vendor to receive their next clue. BJ and Tyler, Eric and Jeremy, Joseph and Monica, Lake and Michelle, Ray and Yolanda, and Dave and Lori completed this option. In Little Fish, teams must travel by foot to the same fish market and sell 4 kilograms of a small fish known as Triglia. Fran and Barry completed this option. For the Roadblock, one team member must perform a popular Italian sport, kayak polo. They would join a professional team and participate in an ongoing match. Once the team was goaled, a coach get their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the Amphitheater, teams had to count the statue heads on the fence posts surrounding the grounds of the amphitheater. If they were correct, they would receive their next clue.
Leg 6 (Italy → Greece)Edit
- Siracusa (Stazione di Siracusa) then Siracusa (Siracusa Ferrio Termini) to Rome (Roma Termini station)
- Rome (Trevi Fountain)
- Rome (Spanish Steps)
- Rome, Italy (Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport) to Athens, Greece (Athens International Airport)
- Athens (Ancient Agora)
Plaka, Athens (Stamatopoulos Taverna)
- Agioi Anargyroi, Athens (Agioi Anargyroi Railway Station) to Corinth (Isthmos Railway Station)
- Corinth (Corinth Canal)
- Nemea (Ancient Stadium)
- Rio (Fortress of Rion)
In this Fast Forward, teams had to travel on foot less than a mile to a restaurant and took part in traditional Greek method of mischievous spirits: plate breaking. Teams had to break plates and find a little clue flag that was baked into one plate, when that team finds the flag, they would win the Fast Forward. Eric and Jeremy won this Fast Forward. For this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to complete a 240 foot bungee jump into Corinth Canal organized by the Zulu Bungy. The Detour for this leg, teams chose between It's All Greek To Me or Herculean Effort. In It's All Greek To Me, teams had enter an archeological site to search a specific section for the nine pieces of pottery containing Greek letters. Then, they will help to translate from Greek to English letters and unscramble them and order the spell of the location of Greek map, Dimitsana. Fran and Barry and Lake and Michelle completed this option. In Herculean Effort, teams had to compete three events from ancient Olympic events. One team to do discus throw in an competitive distance. While the other team to do javelin throw in a same distance. Finally, both teams have to participate professional wrestling of a 20 foot circle. Joseph and Monica, Ray and Yolanda, and BJ and Tyler completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- At the Trevi Fountain, teams received one half of Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man drawing.
- At the Spanish Steps, teams had to search the horse carriages for a black leather portfolio. Then, find the other half of the Vitruvian Man drawing which is based on The Da Vinci Code. The first team to arrive at the Pit Stop with the whole drawing won a prize.
Leg 7 (Greece → Oman)Edit
- Rio, Patras (Rio-Antirrio Bridge - Chartered Bus) to Athens (Athens International Airport)
- Athens (Athens International Airport) to Muscat, Oman (Seeb International Airport)
- Muscat (Riyam Park)
- Sur (Baith Al Battha)
- Al Hawiyah (Shuwa Area)
- Jabrin (Jabreen Castle)
This leg's Detour was either Watchtower or Camel. In Watchtower, teams had to cross the river and search among three towers for a Sunducal Raciale Arabic for Message Box. However, not all watchtowers contained a Message Box. After they found a scroll, they had to travel one mile equivalent to 1.6 km to a silver shop named Al-Sayegh Silver & Gold Smith to give it to a man called Mubarek to receive their next clue. Fran and Barry and BJ and Tyler completed this option. In Camel, teams first to made way across the creek on a ferry to opposite bank, which they had to lift a camel into a pickup truck using a winch. Then, they had to use a map to drive one mile and deliver the camel in Bedouin camp to receive their next clue. Joseph and Monica, Eric and Jeremy, and Ray and Yolanda completed this option. The Roadblock was to dig any of 117 sand dunes to find one of 6 shuwas, Omani underground ovens. Inside it was a woven pouch with a meal of lamb is wrapped in a dried palm leaf bag and steamed in an underground oven, which they would have for dinner. Once they found the shuwa, the Bedouin would get their next clue.
Leg 8 (Oman → Australia)Edit
- Muscat (Seeb International Airport) to Perth, Western Teritory, Australia (Perth Airport)
- Perth (Kings Park War Memorial and Eternal Flame)
- Fremantle (Rottnest Express) to Rottnest Island
- Rottnest Island (Wadjemup Lighthouse)
- Rottnest Island (Salmon Bay)
- Fremantle (South Breakwater, Fremantle Sailing Club)
Before doing it teams had to ride tandem bikes from Wadjemup Hill to Salmon Bay Beach. The Detour for this leg of the race offered teams the choice of Sea or Sand. In Sea, teams searched among 50 underwater crayfish traps for those with live Western rock lobsters; each team member had to retrieve one rock lobster. Eric and Jeremy and Joseph and Monica completed this option. In Sand, teams had to drag 40 branches and drag them 126 yards to a marked sand dune, an activity known as "brushing the beach," which helps prevent erosion. BJ and Tyler, Fran and Barry, and Ray and Yolanda completed this option. This leg's Roadblock required one team to involved searching a black of Fremantle Prison for several cells within Division 4 to contain Duracell coppertop batteries and a flashlight, which will send them into the entrance in darkened cavern then they have to descend underground and search in either wet or dry tunnels in this tunnel system for a clue.
- Additional task
- Upon arriving at Rottnest Island, teams had to ride tandem bikes from Wadjemup Hill to Salmon Bay. After the detour, they ride it back.
Leg 9 (Australia)Edit
- Perth (Swan Bells Tower)
- Perth, Australia (Perth Airport) to Darwin, Northern Territory Australia (Darwin International Airport)
- Darwin (Crocodylus Park)
- Batchelor (Batchelor Airstrip - Darwin Parachute Club)
- near Batchelor (Litchfield National Park - Magnetic Termite Mounds)
- Darwin (Lake Bennett Wilderness Resort)
At the Batchelor Airstrip was the second of two Yields hidden on the race. The Roadblock for this leg of the race saw one member of each team had to choose a plane and flying to a height of 12000 feet then tandem skydive to the ground below. The instructor hands over to get their next clue. This leg's Detour offered teams the choice of Wet or Dry. In Wet, teams drove 6 miles to a swimming hole called Buley Rockhole, then hiked and swam 1 mile down a river infested with "spiders and poisonous plants" to receive their next clue. BJ and Tyler and Eric and Jeremy completed this option. In Dry, teams drove 6 miles on the road but then another 6 miles off that road to a rock formation known as The Lost City. Once there, teams must selected a didgeridoo and following the sound of music in the air from a locate from a nearby aboriginine. Then, they had to find an Aboriginal musician with a matching didgeridoo and each team member had to play a note to receive the next clue. Ray and Yolanda and Joseph and Monica completed this option.
- Additional task
- At Crocodylus Park, teams had to wade into a pond full of crocodiles to retrieve their next clue dangling above from crocodiles.
Leg 10 (Australia → Thailand)Edit
- Darwin (Darwin International Airport) to Bangkok, Thailand (Don Mueang International Airport)
- Bangkok (Mo Chit Mai) to Lopburi
- Lopburi (Prang Sam Yot)
- Pak Kret (Wat Sanam Nua Pier) to Ko Kret Island (Wat Poramaiyikawas Pier)
- Ko Kret Island (Buddha Garden)
- Bangkok (Marble Temple)
In this Fast Forward, teams traveled to a town outside of Lop Buri to try a favorite local after-school activity from a nearby restaurant: to eat a bowl of fried Crickets and grasshoppers, when completed, that team would win the Fast Forward. BJ and Tyler won this Fast Forward. The Roadblock required one team member to make a ceremonial feast for monkeys at the temple and give it to them during an annual festival. Following a demo that has already been set up. When it is finished and offered it to the monkeys, they would get their next clue. The Detour was either Move It or Altar It. In Move It, teams had their make way on foot to Jom Jam Pottery Factory to transport 72 clay pots through the streets of a market to docked boat by balancing them on a wooden boards balanced on their shoulders. Joseph and Monica completed this option. In Altar It, teams made their way by foot to Wat Chimphi temple and required to assemble a shrine, including gold leafing a small Buddha statue for the shrine. Eric and Jeremy and Ray and Yolanda completed this option.
Leg 11 (Thailand → Japan)Edit
- Ayutthaya Province (Royal Elephant Kraal)
- Bangkok (Don Mueang International Airport) to Tokyo, Japan (Narita International Airport)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Sakamoto Building)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Shibuya Scramble)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Hachikō Statue)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Capsule Land Hotel) (Overnight Rest)
- Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi Prefecture (Fujikyu Highland Amusement Park)
- Yamanakako, Yamanashi Prefecture (Lake Yamanaka)
The Detour was Maiden or Messenger. In Maiden, teams had travel to Hamarikyu Gardens to transport a young Japanese woman in a traditional Japanese palanquin for 1/3 mile to a tea ceremony pavilion. Eric and Jeremy and Ray and Yolanda completed this option. In Messenger, teams traveled by foot to 200 yard parking lot around Sankusu Street. Which each person had to construct a foldable bicycle, ride their bikes through the streets of Tokyo, and deliver packages to Shinjuku Park Tower and Shinjuku Chuo Koen Building in Shinjuku. Where they had delivered the packages, teams must return to a parking lot. BJ and Tyler completed this option. The Roadblock required one team member to ride on three extreme rides in the Fujikyu Highland Amusement Park in the following order: The Pizza, Dodonpa, and Fujiyama. While riding the rides, they had to look for a man holding a sign. Upon completion of their third ride, they had to tell the park manager what was written on the sign to receive their next clue. If they didn't see the sign they would have to go on all three rides again.
- Additional tasks
- At the Royal Elephant Kraal, teams received T-Mobile Sidekicks displaying their next clue from the elephants.
- At the Shibuya Crossing, teams had to find a message on display that would lead them to their next clue ("Find Hachiko!").
- At the Capsule Land Hotel, teams had to check three different times in each team and stay overnight to receive the next clue the following day.
- At Lake Yamanaka, teams had to take a swan boat and paddle out to the Pit Stop: the big swan.
Leg 12 (Japan → United States)Edit
- Tokyo (Narita International Airport) to Anchorage, Alaska, USA (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport)
- Anchorage (Mirror Lake)
- Anchorage (Kincaid Park)
- Anchorage, Alaska (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport) to Denver, Colorado (Denver International Airport)
- Golden (Clear Creek History Park)
- Denver (Red Rocks Park)
In the Detour teams had to choose between Drill It and Deliver It. In Drill It, teams had to drill 10 holes in the ice, push an ice fishing shack to their holes and properly position the shack over at least two of the holes. Eric and Jeremy, BJ and Tyler, and Ray and Yolanda completed this option. In Deliver It, teams had to load a bush plane with medical supplies, fly with a pilot over 75 miles to Girdwood to deliver the supplies and fly back. Due to poor weather conditions, Deliver It was subject to an indefinite delay. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock required one team member to retrieve one of 285 flags for each destination country they traveled to during the race, other than the United States, and place the flags in the order which they visited each country. The other team member was allowed to assist but not physically participate. Teams had a reference board with the flags of each destination country and three incorrect flags. After finishing the Roadblock, teams were allowed to run to the Finish Line.
- Additional tasks
- At Kincaid Park, teams had to search the park to find their next clue using provided directions and with snow shoes on.
- At Clear Creek History Park, teams had to search the park to find their next clue.
- Danielle & Dani got yielded by Lake & Michelle.
- Monica breaking down at the Detour in Leg 10.
- This season marks the number of 100 teams to ever participate in the American version of the Amazing Race.
- First season to have two male teams to come in 1st and 2nd respectively.
- First time the finish line is at the same location as the starting line.
- First time the finish line took place in the snow.
- BJ & Tyler
- First winning team to use both the Fast Forward and the Yield.
- Eric & Jeremy
- First male team to finish in 2nd.
- Ray & Yolanda
- Joseph & Monica
- Fran & Barry
- Oldest team to win a leg.
- Lake & Michelle
- Dave & Lori
- Danielle & Dani
- First team to be yielded and be eliminated in the same leg.
- Wanda & Desiree
- Lisa & Joni
- John & Scott
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)