|The Amazing Race 5|
|Distance traveled||72,000 miles (116,000 km)|
|Starting line||Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, California|
|Finish line||Trammell Crow Park, Dallas, Texas|
|Filming dates||January 30, 2004 - February 27, 2004|
|Season run||July 6, 2004 - September 21, 2004|
|Number of legs||13|
|Number of teams||11|
|Winning team||Chip & Kim|
|Runner(s)-up|| Colin & Christie|
Brandon & Nicole
|Previous Season||The Amazing Race 4|
|Next Season||The Amazing Race 6|
The Amazing Race 5 is the fifth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on July 6, 2004 and ended on September 21, 2004 on CBS.
The fifth season of The Amazing Race was filmed between January and February 2004 for which they traveled 72,000 miles (116,000 km), spanning 11 different countries in six continents. As it with its preceding season, this season aired in the summer. This time the show aired Tuesdays 10 p.m.
The season also implement permanent changes that would last for the rest of series. The first was adding a penalty for the team coming last in the non-elimination legs. The other was limiting Fast Forwards to only certain legs.
American Airlines was the ony official sponsors of the season and would provide the prizes awarded to first place teams on certain legs.
|Episode #||Leg #||Title||Air Date||Destination||First Place||Last Place||Finish|| Viewership|
|1||1||"Clearly, I'm More Intelligent than You"||July 6, 2004||United States → Uruguay||Alison & Donny||Dennis & Erika|| 1st Eliminated|
|2||2||"It Turned Ugly Just Now"||July 13, 2004||Uruguay → Argentina||Brandon & Nicole||Alison & Donny|| 2nd Eliminated|
|3||3||"I Got Electrocuted"||July 20, 2004||Argentina||Colin & Christie||Jim & Marsha|| 3rd Eliminated|
|4||4||"Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?"||July 27, 2004||Argentina → Russia||Chip & Kim||Bob & Joyce|| 4th Eliminated|
|5||5||"Are You Good at Puzzles?"||August 3, 2004||Russia → Egypt||Colin & Christie||Linda & Karen|| Non-Elimination|
|6||6||"Why Can't We Get a Camel?"||August 10, 2004||Egypt||Colin & Christie||Marshall & Lance|| Quit|
|7||7||"Are You Sure This is Safe?"||August 17, 2004||Egypt → Kenya → Tanzania||Chip & Kim||Charla & Mirna|| 5th Eliminated|
|8||8||"I'm Going to Jail"||August 24, 2004||Tanzania → United Arab Emirates||Colin & Christie||Kami & Karli|| Non-Elimination|
|9||9||"If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut Up!"||August 31, 2004||United Arab Emirates → India||Colin & Christie||Brandon & Nicole|| Non-Elimination|
|10||10||"If They're Screwing the Helmet to My Head, It Can't Be Good"||September 7, 2004||India → New Zealand||Colin & Christie||Kami & Karli|| 6th Eliminated|
|11||11||"It's Okay, Run Them Over!"||September 14, 2004||New Zealand → The Philippines||Chip & Kim||Colin & Christie|| Non-Elimination|
|12||12||"You've Just Made Me a Millionaire"||September 21, 2004||The Philippines||Brandon & Nicole||Linda & Karen|| 7th Eliminated|
|13||The Philippines → Canada → United States||Chip & Kim||Brandon & Nicole||3rd Place|
|Colin & Christie||2nd Place|
This chart shows each teams ranking per leg according to their official check in at the Pit Stop. However, time penalties issued before the start of the next leg due to improperly performed tasks are not reflected here.
|Place||Team||Leg 1||Leg 2||Leg 3||Leg 4||Leg 5||Leg 6||Leg 7||Leg 8||Leg 9||Leg 10||Leg 11||Leg 12||Leg 13||Average|
|1||Chip & Kim||8||8||7||1||4||2||1||3||2||4||1>||2||1||3.38||11-1|
|2||Colin & Christie||7||6||1||2||1►||1||2||1||1||1||4<||3||2||2.46||10-1|
|3||Brandon & Nicole||6||1||3||5||3||4||4||2||5||3||3||1||3||3.31||11-1|
|4||Linda & Karen||3||4||6||6||7||6||3||4||3||2||2||4||4.17||5-6|
|5||Kami & Karli||9||9||5||7||6||3||5||5||4||5||5.80||5-3|
|6||Charla & Mirna||5||2||2||4||2||5||6||3.71||4-2|
|7||Marshall & Lance||2||7||8||3||5||7||5.33||1-4|
|8||Bob & Joyce||4||5||4||8||5.25||1-2|
|9||Jim & Marsha||10||3||9||7.33||1-1|
|10||Alison & Donny||1||10||5.50||0-1|
|11||Dennis & Erika||11||11.00||0-0|
1: Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli initially arrived 1st and 2nd, respectively, but they had missed the clue to the Detour, having simply arrived by chance at one of the options. They had to go back and retrieve the clue before checking in, causing them to fall to 8th and 9th, respectively.
2: Marshall & Lance, exhausted and already in dead last, decided to quit the race during the Roadblock, marking the first time ever that host Phil Keoghan had to eliminate a team still on the race course.
3: Leg 8 had an unaired Roadblock that involved buying and delivering nuts. Only Chip and Linda have confirmed to participated in this Roadblock.
4: Leg 13 had an unaired Roadblock that involved pitching a teepee. All three teams have confirmed members performing the task.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- First season to visit all six inhabitable continents.
- Longest route: 72,000 miles (116,000 km)
- First time visits to Uruguay, Argentina, Russia, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, Philippines, and Canada.
- First introduction of the Yield which allows any one team to force another team to stop racing for a predetermined amount of time.
- Only season to have a Yield available on every leg of the race.
- First season where all the final three teams are co-ed teams.
- Coincidentally, all the final three teams were in love relationships.
- Last standard-format season where there was no limitation on the number of Roadblocks each individual performs.
- First season to implement a penalty for the last team to arrive at the Pit Stop in a non-elimination leg.
- First season to require teams finishing last on non-elimination legs to turn over all the money they accumulated throughout the race and also not receive any money on the next leg.
- First season to only have one same-gender team of a single gender, one male team.
- First season that a same-gender team did not win a leg.
- First season to have three female teams finish in the top 6.
- Second season to have back-to-back non-elimination legs after Season 3.
- For the first time, a single-member in each of the the final 3 team (Kim, Christie and Nicole) performed only 1 Roadblock on the entire race, making them the second, third and fourth (last) person to perform only a single Roadblock to reach the final 3.
- Flo had performed only 1 Roadblock on Season 3.
- First season that the Finish Line was located in a Southern state of the United States.
- First time also the race did not end on the West Coast nor the East Coast.
- Zap2it (04/06/2004): "CBS' summer loaded with reality series"
- John Crook at Los Angeles Times (07/04/2004): "Teamwork and tantrums on Amazing Race"
- John Deiner at Washington Post (07/04/2004): "Amazing Race: It's Travelicious"
- Hal Boedeker at Orlando Sentinel (07/04/2004): "CBS' 'Race' Outdistances Reality Rivals"
- Washington Post (07/05/2004): "Off and running: Amazing Race' launches 5th season of global trek"
- Steve Johnson at Chicago Tribune (07/06/2004): "Amazing Race': All adrenaline, all the time"
- Joe Rhodes at New York Times (11/16/2004): "An Audience Finally Catches Up to The Amazing Race"
- Joe Reid at Decider (02/11/2016): "Stream the Season: Why You Should Make 'The Amazing Race 5' Your Next TV Binge"
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
|United States|| 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 ·|
16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ·
28 · 29
|Asia||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5|
|Australia||1 · 2 · 3|
|Canada||1 · 2 · 3 · 4|
|China||1 · 2 · 3|
|China Rush||1 · 2 · 3|
|Israel||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5|
|Latin America||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6|
|Norway||1 · 2|
|The Philippines||1 · 2|
|Vietnam||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5|