|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
The Amazing Race 5 is the fifth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on July 6, 2004 and ended on September 21, 2004 on CBS.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 5 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Chip & Kim||Married Parents||8th2||8th||7th||1st||4th||2nd||1st||3rd||2nd||4th||1st>||2nd||1st||9-1|
|Colin & Christie||Dating||7th||6th||1st||2nd||1stƒ||1st||2nd||1st||1st||1st||4th<||3rd||2nd||8-1|
|Brandon & Nicole||Dating Models||6th||1st||3rd||5th||3rd||4th||4th||2nd||5th||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||9-1|
|Linda & Karen||Bowling Moms||3rd||4th||6th||6th||7th||6th||3rd||4th||3rd||2nd||2nd||4th||Eliminated 8th||4-6|
|Kami & Karli||Twins||9th2||9th||5th||7th||6th||3rd||5th||5th||4th||5th||Eliminated 7th||5-3|
|Charla & Mirna*||Cousins||5th||2nd||2nd||4th||2nd||5th||6th||Eliminated 6th||4-2|
|Marshall & Lance||Brothers||2nd||7th||8th||3rd||5th||7th3||Eliminated 5th||1-4|
|Bob & Joyce||Internet Dating Couple||4th||5th||4th||8th||Eliminated 4th||1-2|
|Jim & Marsha||Military Dad and Daughter||10th||3rd||9th||Eliminated 3rd||1-1|
|Alison & Donny||Dating||1st||10th||Eliminated 2nd||0-1|
|Dennis & Erika||Once Engaged||11th||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: The Roadblock count does not include the results of any unaired Roadblocks.
Note 2: Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli initially arrived 1st and 2nd, respectively, but they had missed the clue to the Detour, having simply arrived by chance at one of the options. They had to go back and retrieve the clue before checking in, causing them to fall to 8th and 9th, respectively.
Note 3: Marshall & Lance, exhausted and already in dead last, decided to quit the race during the Roadblock, marking the first time ever that host Phil Keoghan had to eliminate a team still on the race course.
The episode titles are:
- "Clearly, I'm More Intelligent than You" – Alison
- "It Turned Ugly Just Now" – Kami
- "I Got Electrocuted" – Charla
- "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?" – Brandon
- "Are You Good at Puzzles?" – Brandon
- "Why Can't We Get a Camel?" – Marshall
- "Are You Sure This is Safe?" – Nicole
- "I'm Going to Jail" – Colin
- "If You're Going to Whine, Just Shut Up!" – Karen
- "If They're Screwing the Helmet to My Head, It Can't Be Good!" – Linda
- "It's Okay, Run Them Over!" – Christie
- "You've Just Made Me a Millionaire" – Chip
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → Uruguay)Edit
- Santa Monica, California, United States (Santa Monica Pier) (Starting Point)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Punta del Este, Uruguay
- Punta del Este (The Hand in the Sand)
- Gorriti Island  (Overnight Rest)
- Punta del Este (Dock)
- Maldonado (Meat Warehouse)
- Punta del Este (Conrad Hotel)
- Punta Ballena (Casapueblo)
The Detour for this Leg of the Race was Zips or Chips. In both detours, teams must get in the hotel. In Zips, teams had to ascend into a penthouse of the hotel across and travel by zip-line 210 feet above the ground, then take a second zip line 18 stories down to the hotel pool to receive their next clue. Alison and Donny, Linda and Karen, Bob and Joyce, Brandon and Nicole, Colin and Christie, Jim and Marsha, and Dennis and Erika completed this option. In Chips, teams had to play roulette in the hotel casino with 20 chips and would receive their clue if they won a game. If they lost all of their chips, they would have to do the Zips task. Kami and Karli, Marshall and Lance, Chip and Kim, and Charla and Mirna completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- Teams had a choice to take one of two flights from Los Angeles to Montevideo and then take a bus to Punta del Este, Uruguay.
- At the Gorriti Island, teams had to search for three different departure times hidden on 11 trees.
- At the Meat Warehouse, teams had to carry a 55 pound slab of meat, 10 miles from the meat warehouse, to a butcher.
Leg 2 (Uruguay → Argentina)Edit
- Montevideo (Shake Mega Disco)
- Colonia del Sacramento (Ferry Station) to Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Buenos Aires (Recoleta Cemetery - Grave of Evita Perón)
- San Antonio de Areco (La Estancia La Invernada)
- San Antonio de Areco (La Porteña)
The second Detour was Perro or Tango. In Perro, teams must take on the extremely popular job of dog walking. They had to walk eight dogs on a 1-mile course, while using a provided map to navigate past a series of checkpoints to their final destination, La Flor. They were able to begin the task outside the cemetery. Kami and Karli and Bob and Joyce completed this option. In Tango, teams had to travel to crowded streets across the city to a theater, which was filled with tango dancers, who looked similar to each other. Teams were given a photo of a tango dancer; their task was to find the dancer who matched their photo. If the teams gave it to the wrong dancer, the dancer would take the photo. If they were unsuccessful, they would have to get a new picture and try again. Charla and Mirna, Brandon and Nicole, Marshall and Lance, Alison and Donny, Jim and Marsha, Colin and Christie, Linda and Karen, and Chip and Kim completed this option. The first Roadblock of the race was to play a game traditionally played by children in a ranch, ribbon roping. One team member must enter a corral and attempt to remove a bandana from the neck of one of the calves. Since they were not allowed to tackle or pull the animals, the task could prove frustrating. A gaucho woman would give them their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At the start of the leg, teams had to rip open a foam ball to get the clue inside.
- Teams had arrive in Buenos Aires and needed to find the correct grave of former Argentine first lady Evita Perón which the correct location is Recoleta Cemetery and the next clue is located.
Leg 3 (Argentina)Edit
- Buenos Aires (Jorge Newbery Domestic Airport) to San Carlos de Bariloche (Teniente Luis Candelaria International Airport)
- San Carlos de Bariloche (Civic Center)
- San Carlos de Bariloche (Del Turista Chocolate Factory)
- San Carlos de Bariloche (Villa Catedral)
- Bahia Lopez
The Roadblock required one team member to search through 11,000 chocolates (by biting into them) until they located one with a white center. Of these 11,000 chocolates, 20 of them had a white center. When the white center is found, they would get their next clue. The Detour was Smooth Sailing or Rough Riding. In Smooth Sailing, each teammate had to paraglide in tandem with an instructor off a 5000 foot mountain. When they successfully landed, they would get their next clue. Colin and Christie, Charla and Mirna, Brandon and Nicole, Bob and Joyce, Kami and Karli, Chip and Kim, Linda and Karen, Marshall and Lance, and Jim and Marsha completed this option. In Rough Riding, each team must ride a mountain bike on a 6 mile course down the mountain. When they had completed the course, they would receive their next clue. No teams completed this option.
- Additional task
- At the Civic Center, teams had to find the mayor.
Leg 4 (Argentina → Russia)Edit
- San Carlos de Bariloche (Bariloche Bus Station) to Buenos Aires
- Buenos Aires (Ministro Pistarini International Airport) to Saint Petersburg, Russia (Pulkovo Airport)
- Saint Petersburg (Battleship Aurora)
- Saint Petersburg (Bronze Horseman)
- Pushkin (Old Tower Restaurant)
- Pushkin (Catherine's Palace)
This leg's Detour was Block 5 Shots or Drink 1 Shot. In Block 5 Shots, teams had to travel to an ice hockey rink, put on a protective gear and step to the goal's position to block five slap shots by professional hockey players. If the shots are blocked, a coach would get their next clue. Brandon and Nicole, Charla and Mirna, and Bob and Joyce completed this option. In Drink 1 Shot, teams had to travel to Archikov Palace, and perform a cossack ritual: Balance a shot glass of vodka on the blade of a saber, and tilt the sword to drink the vodka, without dropping the glass. When they are done, they would receive their next clue. Colin and Christie, Marshall and Lance, Chip and Kim, Kami and Karli, and Linda and Karen completed this option. The Roadblock required one team member to eat 1 kilogram of caviar. When the caviar is successfully eaten, a waiter would get their next clue.
Leg 5 (Russia → Egypt)Edit
- Pushkin to Saint Petersburg (Vitebsky Rail Terminal)
- Saint Petersburg (Hermitage Museum)
- Saint Petersburg (Pulkovo Airport) to Cairo, Egypt (Cairo International Airport)
- Cairo (Tower of Cairo)
- Cairo (Pharaonic Village)
- Giza (Giza pyramid complex - Osiris Shaft)
- Giza (Base of the Pyramid)
- Giza (Sphinx)
In this Fast Forward, teams had to carry a sarcophagus and transport it via ferry into the temple and deliver it to the priest to win the Fast Forward. Colin and Christie completed this Fast Forward. In the Roadblock for this leg of the race, one team member had to descend down a series of ladders into Osiris Shaft 140 feet below sea level. Next, they retrieve a satchel containing puzzle pieces and which presented it to an Egyptologist for getting the next clue. The Detour was Rock & Roll or Hump & Ride. In Rock & Roll, teams had to use traditional techniques to transport 600 pounds of two-stone rock across an area the size of football field. Chip and Kim, Brandon and Nicole, Marshall and Lance, Kami and Karli, and Linda and Karen completed this option. In Hump & Ride, teams had to pick a pair of horse and two camels loaded with carpets to a merchant. Charla and Mirna completed this option.
- Additional task
- At the Hermitage Museum, teams had to find the painting of the Return of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt.
- Teams had to use the puzzle pieces in the satchel collected at the Roadblock and a map to figure out their next destination. If teams placed their puzzle pieces onto the map, a hole in the puzzle would show them where to go.
Leg 6 (Egypt)Edit
- Giza (Great Pyramids)
- Cairo (Old Cairo Airport) to Luxor (Luxor International Airport)
- Luxor (Karnak Temple)
- Luxor (Habu Temple)
The Detour for this leg of the Race was Herd It or Haul It. In both detours, teams have travel by kalesh, a traditional carriage. In Herd It, teams had travel to Banana Island for load ten goats into a sailboat and deliver them to a shepherd on the other side of the Nile River and give the animals to a waiting shepherd for exchange in their next clue. Chip and Kim, Linda and Karen, Kami and Karli, Charla and Mirna, and Marshall and Lance completed this option. In Haul It, teams travel 3 miles to a pigeon farm and use a traditional device to haul water from the Nile into an urn and transport it by donkey to fill a cistern. When it is filled in a correct mark, they will get their next clue. Colin and Christie and Brandon and Nicole completed this option. In the Roadblock, one team member had to choose a large dig site to use archeological tools to dig, in a plot of sand, for unearth a scarab, a beetle stone carving which is a part of Egyptian mythology. When the scarab is found, an archeologist will give them their next clue.
Leg 7 (Egypt → Kenya → Tanzania)Edit
- Luxor or Cairo, Egypt (Luxor or Cairo International Airport) to Nairobi, Kenya (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport)
- Nairobi, Kenya (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport - Z. Boskovic Air Charters) to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (Kilimanjaro International Airport)
- Kilimanjaro (Bus station) to Mto wa Mbu
- Kibaoni (Kavishe Hotel)
- Lake Manyara (Lookout)
The Detour was Buzzing or Busy. In Buzzing, teams had to travel by bicycle to a local honey farm, put on a beekeeper suits and harvest 2 kilograms of honey from traditional African hives. When its successful, they would receive their next clue. No teams completed this option. In Busy, teams had to travel to a furniture store and deliver two chairs to a specified house. When the chairs are delivered in a right address could take a long time, the house owner would give teams a receipt. Teams then have to return to the shopkeeper and give him the receipt to get their clue. Colin and Christie, Chip and Kim, Kami and Karli, Brandon and Nicole, Linda and Karen, and Charla and Mirna completed this option.The Roadblock required one team member to eat an ostrich egg, cook a portion of it equal to two dozen chicken eggs and eat it to get their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the Z. Boskovic Air Charters, teams signed up for a charter flight to Tanzania. The flights were at 8.00am, 8.45am and 9.30am.
- After the Roadblock, Teams must do the zip line known as Flying Fox, over the gorge 230 feet below to proceed the next pit stop, Lake Manyara.
Leg 8 (Tanzania → Kenya → United Arab Emirates)Edit
- Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (Kilimanjaro International Airport) to Nairobi, Kenya (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport) to Dubai, United Arab Emirates (Dubai International Airport)
- Dubai (Burj al-Arab)
- Dubai (Bur Dubai Abra Port)
- near Dubai (Desert Oasis)
The unaired Roadblock involved one team member to buying nuts in the market and delivering them to a ship. The Detour was Off Plane or Off Road. In Off Plane, teams had to travel to the Al Quwain Aero Club and tandem skydive 10000 feet with an instructor to a landing site in the Margham Dunes. When they had successfully landed in correct zone, they would get their next clue. Brandon and Nicole and Kami and Karli completed this option. Off Road, teams had to travel directly to the Margham Dunes, where they must drive a marked 4x4 over a 6 mile course to the desert and ending at the skydiving landing site. Teams could get stuck in the sand, forcing them to radio for help, which could take a long time. Colin and Christie, Chip and Kim, and Linda and Karen completed this option.
- Additional task
- During the start of the leg, teams must sign up one of the three designated times to a charter flight in Nairobi, Kenya.
Leg 9 (United Arab Emirates → India)Edit
- Dubai (Wild Wadi)
- Dubai (Dubai International Airport) to Kolkata, West Bengal, India (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport)
- Kolkata (Sahid Minar)
- Kolkata (Hindu Temple)
- Garia (Globe Brick Factory)
- Kolkata (Victoria Memorial)
The Fast Forward instructed teams to travel 7 miles to a temple and engage in head shaving, a traditional Hindu ritual. Once both team members were completely bald, they would win the Fast Forward clue. Brandon and Nicole considered using the Fast Forward, but when they discovered that they had to shave their heads to win the Fast Forward, they decided not to do it. This Fast Forward reappeared in season 7. For the Roadblock, one team member was required to use a traditional Indian mold to make 20 mud bricks. If they weren't filled in the correct way, they fell apart. Once the factory worker determined that they were all properly formed, they would receive their next clue. The Detour required a choice between Heavy but Short or Light but Long. In Heavy but Short, teams had to travel over 10 miles to Landsdowne to transport a taxi a half-mile to a local garage. The taxis have no engines, so teams had to push the taxi in a short distance, where the owner will hand them their next clue. Colin and Christie, Chip and Kim, Linda and Karen, Kami and Karli, and Brandon and Nicole completed this option. In Light but Long, teams had to travel to Kolkata's largest flower market to find a particular stall and receive a garland, which they must then release into the Ganges River for good luck to receive their next clue. No teams completed this option.
- Additional task
- Upon the opening of Wild Wadi, team members had to take turns riding a free waterfall slide.
Leg 10 (India → New Zealand)Edit
- Kolkata (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport) to Auckland, New Zealand (Auckland Airport)
- Rotorua, Waikato (Rotorua Museum)
- Paengaroa (Matapara Farms)
The Detour was Clean or Dirty. In Clean, teams had to drive 13 miles to Okere Falls and perform an adventure sport called river sledging. With the help of the two guides, teams must complete 1 mile course with only a small board, called a sledge for protection. Colin and Christy, Linda and Karen, and Chip and Kim completed this option. In Dirty, teams had to travel ten miles (16 km) to Hell's Gate and search for clues buried in a hot mud pit. Brandon and Nicole and Kami and Karli completed this option. In the Roadblock, one team member had to inflate a Zorb and ride it bouncing down to a hillside. It has a water inside to protect against scraping from plastic. At the bottom of the hill, the rider had to walk the Zorb a short distance to cross a finish line, then get out and join his/her teammate and run to the Pit Stop.
Leg 11 (New Zealand → Philippines)Edit
- Auckland (Westhaven Marina)
- Auckland (Auckland Airport) to Manila, Philippines (Ninoy Aquino International Airport)
- Cavite (Malagueña Motors)
- Victoria, Laguna (Field Behind Giant Duck)
- Manila (Coconut Palace)
In the Roadblock for this leg, one team member had travel to Auckland Harbour Bridge and climb a 75 foot ladder to the girders beneath the roadway. From there, he or she had to walk along the girders until they reached the clue on the other side. They were then lowered to a waiting boat below. The Detour was Plow or Fowl. In Plow, teams had to choose a marked field and use an ox-drawn plow to till the soil, until the plow caught on a buried rope attached to a hidden clue. Brandon and Nicole, Linda and Karen, Chip and Kim, and Colin and Christie completed this option. In Fowl, teams had to work together and herd 1,000 ducks from one pen to another 50 yards away. No teams completed this option.
- Additional task
- At Malagueña Motors in Cavite province, Teams must decorate a jeepney completely. When it's finished, Teams will get their next clue.
Leg 12 (Philippines)Edit
- Manila (Rizal Park)
- Manila (A Soriano Aviation)
- Manila (Ninoy Aquino International Airport) to El Nido, Palawan (El Nido Airport)
- El Nido (El Nido Pier)
- El Nido (Island with Philippine flag)
- El Nido (Giant clam)
- El Nido (Lagen Wall)
- El Nido (Lagen Island)
In the one aired choice for the Detour, teams had to put on snorkel gear and search underwater for one of four giant clams containing their next clue. The Roadblock for this leg was for one team member to climb a 150 foot rock wall using an ascender. Upon completing the ascent, he/she would get the next clue and rappel down back to his/her partner.
- Additional tasks
- At A. Sorano Aviation, teams caught one of two charter flights to El Nido at 10.45am or 11.30am.
- Upon arriving at the islands located near El Nido, teams used binoculars and searched the shore of three islands for an island with the Philippine flag. If teams chose an incorrect island, they had to try again. When the correct flag was found, they got their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams had to paddle themselves in a kayak to the pit stop on Lagen Island.
Leg 13 (Philippines → Canada → United States)Edit
- El Nido Palawan, Philippines (El Nido Palawan Airport) to Manila, Philippines (Ninoy Aquino International Airport) to Calgary or Alberta, Canada (Calgary International Airport)
- Banff (Shopping task, unaired)
- Banff National Park (Outside Banff Springs Hotel)
- Sunshine Village (Lookout Mountain-Continental Divide)
- Calgary (Canada Olympic Park)
- Calgary or Alberta, Canada (Calgary International Airport) to Dallas, Texas, United States of America (Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport)
- Fort Worth (Fort Worth Stockyards)
- Dallas (Trammell Crow Park)
There was a final Roadblock of this race, which went unaired, that required one team member to build a teepee outside the Banff Springs Hotel. The final Detour was Slide or Ride. In Slide, teams had to complete the Olympic course on a two-man luge at speeds up to 40 miles per hour, needs to complete the course in 34 seconds or less. If they failed, they had to keep trying until they hit the target time. Colin and Christie, Brandon and Nicole, and Chip and Kim completed this option. In Ride, teams had to use mountain bikes to complete the Olympic slalom course in three minutes or less. If they failed to finish in required time, they must keep trying to complete the time for receiving the clue. No teams completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- At the Shopping center, in an unaired task, teams had to pick an article of winter clothing (either jacket or gloves) for the rest of the leg.
- At the Fort Worth Stockyards, teams had to go into the giant maze to find 4 wooden boxes with their names on it, each containing a picture of a place previously visited on the Race (for example, the Canada Olympic Park), using the four keys provided on their respective boards. Then they must take the picture, find their way out of the maze and place it on the board. They must repeat the process for the other two locations with pictures, one at a time, in numerical order. The fourth and last given key from the board will open a wooden box which contains another key that will unlock the glass box on the board, which contains their final clue. (The episode only showed teams finding for one box with the picture of the Canada Olympic Park instead and then find another box with the key to unlock the glass box immediately.)
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- Colin almost getting thrown in jail.
- Least number of male teams, 1 (tied with Season 6 and Season 12).
- Most number of Roadblocks performed by a single person: tie (Chip and Brandon at 9 each)
- First season to only have one same-gender team.
- First time the final three consisted of mixed-gender teams.
- First season to have three female teams finish in the top 6.
- Chip & Kim
- First African-American team to win the race.
- Oldest team to win the race.
- First team to use the Yield, coincidentally the first winning team to do so.
- Colin & Christie
- First team to win six legs in a season.
- Brandon & Nicole
- Linda & Karen
- First female team to make it past 11 legs.
- First female team to finish in 4th place.
- Kami & Karli
- First team of female twins
- Charla & Mirna
- Charla, the first dwarf to participate in the race
- Marshall & Lance
- First team to quit.
- Bob & Joyce
- Jim & Marsha
- First father/daugther team.
- Alison & Donny
- Alison, First person to participate in the race that competed in a previous reality show.
- Alison, The first person from Big Brother.
- Dennis & Erika
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)