|The Amazing Race 4|
|Distance traveled||44,000 miles (71,000 km)|
|Starting line||Los Angeles, California|
|Finish line||Phoenix, Arizona|
|Filming dates||January 18, 2003 - February 14, 2003|
|Season run||May 29, 2003 - August 21, 2003|
|Number of legs||13|
|Number of teams||12|
|Winning team||Reichen & Chip|
|Runner(s)-up|| Kelly & Jon|
David & Jeff
|Previous Season||The Amazing Race 3|
|Next Season||The Amazing Race 5|
The Amazing Race 4 is the fourth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on May 23, 2003 and ended on August 21, 2003 on CBS.
|Episode #||Leg #||Title||Air Date||Destination||First Place||Last Place||Finish|| Viewership|
|1||1||"Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!"||May 29, 2003||United States → Italy||Amanda & Chris||Debra & Steve||1st Eliminated|
|Millie & Chuck|
|Steve & Josh|
|2||2||"It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come, First Served - and We're Bigger"||June 5, 2003||Italy||Steve & Dave||Amanda & Chris|| 2nd Eliminated|
|3||3||"I Wasn't Even Going to Touch You Until You Slammed My Head Backwards!"||June 12, 2003||Italy → Austria||Steve & Josh||Russell & Cindy|| 3rd Eliminated|
|4||4||"Check Your Tires Because... Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!"||June 19, 2003||Austria → France||Tian & Jaree||Steve & Josh|| 4th Eliminated|
|5||5||"You Are Just Deliberately Trying To Make Us Lose!"||June 26, 2003||France → The Netherlands||Millie & Chuck||Steve & Dave|| 5th Eliminated|
|6||6||"I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now"||July 3, 2003||The Netherlands → India||David & Jeff||Monica & Sheree|| 6th Eliminated|
|7||7||"We're Going Down The Wrong Side Of The Freeway...And The Lights Are Off!"||July 10, 2003||India||David & Jeff||Tian & Jaree|| 7th Eliminated|
|8||8||"The Princess Reminded Me of My Grandmother"||July 17, 2003||India → Malaysia||Jon & Al||Kelly & Jon|| Non-Elimination|
|9||9||"We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing"||July 24, 2003||Malaysia||Reichen & Chip||Millie & Chuck|| 8th Eliminated|
|10||10||"That's Me. That's My Face. Just Hit My Face. Hit My Face!"||July 31, 2003||Malaysia → South Korea||Kelly & Jon||David & Jeff|| Non-Elimination|
|11||11||"Such a Nice Pheromone Smell to You; Just Makes Me Want to Stay Close"||August 7, 2003||South Korea → Australia||David & Jeff||Jon & Al|| 9th Eliminated|
|12||12||"He's A Couple Of Ticks Away From Having A Heart Attack"||August 14, 2003||Australia||David & Jeff||Kelly & Jon|| Non-Elimination|
|13||13||"It's Like Adam Building His First House!"||August 21, 2003||Australia → United States||Reichen & Chip||David & Jeff||3rd place|
|Kelly & Jon||2nd place|
This chart shows each teams ranking per leg according to their official check in at the Pit Stop. However, time penalties issued before the start of the next leg due to improperly performed tasks are not reflected here.
|Place||Team||Leg 1||Leg 2||Leg 3||Leg 4||Leg 5||Leg 6||Leg 7||Leg 8||Leg 9||Leg 10||Leg 11||Leg 12||Leg 13||Average|
|1||Reichen & Chip||9||2||3||5||4||2||5||2||1►||2||3||2||1||3.15||4-7|
|2||Kelly & Jon||6||3||8||7||3||3||3||5||4||1||2||3||2||3.85||2-10|
|3||David & Jeff||10||5||7||6||6||1||1||4||3||4||1►||1||3||4.00||5-6|
|4||Jon & Al||7||6||6||2||2||6||2||1||2||3||4||3.72||5-5|
|5||Millie & Chuck||1||8||5||2||1►||4||4||3||5||3.67||2-5|
|6||Tian & Jaree||11||4||4||1►||7||5||6||5.43||6-0|
|7||Monica & Sheree||4►||10||2||4||5||7||5.33||3-2|
|8||Steve & Dave||5||1►||9||8||8||6.20||2-1|
|9||Steve & Josh||1||9||1►||9||5.00||0-2|
|10||Russell & Cindy||8||7||10||8.33||2-0|
|11||Amanda & Chris||1||11||6.00||0-1|
|12||Debra & Steve||12||12.00||0-0|
1: Millie & Chuck, Steve & Josh, and Amanda & Chris all agreed to a three-way tie for 1st place after the three teams stepped on the Pit Stop mat at the same time.
2: Jon & Al and Millie & Chuck both agreed to a 2nd place tie after both teams stepped on the Pit Stop mat at the same time.
3: Reichen & Chip initially arrived 2nd, but they drove to the Pit Stop instead of traveling on foot and were issued a 35-minute penalty. As Reichen & Chip were waiting out their penalty, Kelly & Jon checked in, dropping Reichen & Chip to 3rd.
4: David & Jeff had fallen so far behind that they were unable to complete the final leg. Once David & Jeff reached Hawaii and arrived at the first route marker, they were informed that the race was over.
The episode titles are:
- "Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!" – Sheree
- "It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come First Served...And We're Bigger" -Reichen
- "I Wasn't Even Going To Touch You Until You Slammed My Head Backwards" – Millie
- "Check Your Tires Because...Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!" – Steve (of Steve & Dave)
- "You Are Just Deliberately Trying To Make Us Lose!" – Jaree
- "I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now" – Reichen
- "We're Going Down The Wrong Side Of The Freeway...And The Lights Are Off!" -Tian
- "The Princess Reminded Me of My Grandmother" – David (misquoted, as he actually referred to the "priestess")
- "We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "That's Me. That's My Face. Just Hit My Face. Hit My Face!" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "Such a Nice Pheromone Smell to You; Just Makes Me Want to Stay Close" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "He's A Couple Of Ticks Away From Having A Heart Attack" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "It's Like Adam Building His First House!" – Kelly
Route Information • Detour • Roadblock • Fast Forward • Yield • Intersection • U-Turn •
Speed Bump • Hazard • Pit Stop
Means of Transportation Required:
Leg 1 (United States → Italy)Edit
- Los Angeles, California, USA (Dodger Stadium) (Starting Line)
- Los Angeles, California, USA (Los Angeles International Airport) to Milan, Italy (Malpensa International Airport)
- Milan, (Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Church of St. Filippo and Giacomo)
- Pocol, Cortina d'Ampezzo (Passo Giau)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Cinque Torri)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Hotel Lajadira)
The Fast Forward had teams put on snowshoes and trek to the top of a snowy hill. Monica and Sheree completed this Fast Forward. The Detour on this leg was Search or Rescue. In Search teams use a locator beacon to search the snow for keys which they would use to drive a snowmobile to the next clue. No teams completed this option. In Rescue teams crossed a rescue bridge of 4 steel cables then use a zipline to cross a ravine. Amanda and Chris, Millie and Chuck, Steve and Josh, Steve and Dave, Kelly and Jon, Jon and Al, Russel and Cyndi, Reichen and Chip, David and Jeff, Tian and Jaree, and Debra and Steve completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- At the Galleria, Teams must search for bus tickets with different departure times leaving the next day.
Leg 2 (Italy)Edit
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Trampolino Olimpico)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Calalzo Train Station / Alpi Train Station) to Venice (Stazione Ferroviaría di Venezia Santa Lucia)
- Venice (Ponte delle Guglie)
- Venice (Rialto Bridge)
- Venice (Palazzo da Mosto)
- Venice (Citta di Padova Boat, Laguna Veneta)
The Detour on this leg was Waterway or Pathway. In Waterway teams travel by gondola to a small plaza using a map but could not ask for help. Amanda and Chris, Jon and Al, Steve and Josh, Monica and Sheree, Reichen and Chip, Russel and Cyndi, David and Jeff, Steve and Dave, and Tian and Jaree completed this option. In Pathway teams walked to the plaza without a map but could ask for directions. Millie and Chuck and Kelly and Jon completed this option. The plaza name of both detour is Campo Querini Stampalia. The Fast Forward was to perform with a group of traveling players until the Fast Forward clue appeared in the skit. Once the team saw it, they could claim it. Steve and Dave completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to use a photo of a mask and find the person in Palazzo da Mosto wearing the mask.
- Additional task
- At the Trampolino Olimpico, Teams must use snow raft, with a large inflatable raft, down the hill.
Leg 3 (Italy → Austria)Edit
- Venice (Stazione Ferroviaría di Venezia Santa Lucia) to Vienna, Austria (Wien Südbahnhof)
- Vienna (Wien Kanal - intersection of Friedrichstraße and Operngasse exit to Heumarkt)
- Vienna (Johann Strauß II Monument at Stadtpark)
- Vienna (Schönbrunn Palace)
- Vienna (Donauturm)
The Detour on this leg was Mozart or Beethoven. In Mozart teams carried a string bass 6 miles to the house where Mozart wrote "The Marriage of Figaro". Tian and Jaree, Monica and Sheree, Millie and Chuck, Reichen and Chip, Jon and Al, Russel and Cindy, David and Jeff, and Steve and Dave completed this option. In Beethoven teams carry sheet music 11 miles to the house where Beethoven wrote "The Heiligenstadt Testaments". Kelly and Jon completed this option. The Fast Forward was to carry a tray of glasses through ballroom of waltzing couples without dropping any. Steve and Josh completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to bungee jump 460 feet off the Donauturm tower.
Leg 4 (Austria → France)Edit
- Salzberg, Austria (Salzburg Airport)--> to Paris, France (Charles de Gaulle International Airport)
- Paris (Gare Montparnasse) to Le Mans (Gare du Mans)
- Le Mans (Circuit Bugatti)
- Marseille (Porte 4 Cap Janet of Port autonome de Marseille to Phare de Sainte Marie)
- Bagnols-en-Forêt (Gorges du Blavet)
- Aix-en-Provence (Musée de Tapisseries)
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence (Chateau des Alpilles)
The Roadblock was to put four wheels on a racecar then do a lap with the driver. The Detour on this leg was Slopes or Ropes. In Slopes teams took a sloping trail to the route marker also. None of the teams completed this option. In Ropes teams rappelled 230 feet down the side of these cliffs to a route marker below. Jon and Al, Kelly and Jon, Millie and Chuck, David and Jeff, Monica and Sheree, Reichen and Chip, Steve and Dave and Steve and Josh completed this option. The Fast Forward was to put together a puzzle of the Pit Stop. Tian and Jaree completed this Fast Forward.
++ Steve & Josh, Monica & Sheree, Tian & Jaree, Reichen & Chip, Kelly & Jon & Steve & Dave used Salzburg Airport at Salzburg, Austria
++ David & Jeff, Millie & Chuck, Jon & Al used Munich Airport at Munich, Germany
Leg 5 (France → Netherlands)Edit
- Marseille (Marseille Provençe Airport) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (Amsterdam ShipHole Airport)
- Amsterdam (Magere Brug)
- Amsterdam (Scheepvaart Museum)
- Amsterdam (Molen Van Sloten)
- Monnickendam (Smoker Statue)
- Muiden (Kastel Muiderslot)
The Detour on this leg was 500 Kilograms or 15 Feet. In 500 kilograms teams use a wooden stretcher to carry cheese to scale until it weighed in at 500 kilograms. Reichen and Chip and Steve and Dave completed this option. In 15 feet teams searched barehanded through 15 feet of cow manure for the next clue. Jon and Al, Kelly and Jon, Monica and Sheree, David and Jeff, and Tian and Jaree completed this option. In the Fast Forward, teams had to ride on a windmill sail for 10 revolutions. Millie and Chuck completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to catch 25 eels and place them in a container.
Leg 6 (Netherlands → India)Edit
- Amsterdam, Netherlands (Amsterdam ShipHole Airport) to Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport)
- Mumbai (Film City - Studio 10)
- Mumbai (Sassoon Docks - Indo Universal Engineering)
- Mumbai (Gateway of India)
The Detour on this leg was Suds or Duds. In Suds teams washed a bundle of clothing by hand until they found a piece of clothing with the clue printed on it. Reichen and Chip, David and Jeff, Kelly and Jon, Tian and Jaree, Millie and Chuck, and Monica and Sheree completed this option. In Duds teams needed to find a clothing shop and search through hundreds of saris for one with the clue printed on it. Jon and Al completed this option. The Suds detour is located in Dhobi Ghat in Saat Rasta near Mahalaxmi Railway Station and the sari stop is called P. Amarlel which is near Kalbadevi Road. The Roadblock was to carry 20 Palai fish through a fish market to the manager.
Leg 7 (India)Edit
- Alleppey (Sports Field near Pallathuruthy Bridge at Alappuzha-Changanassery Highway)
- Alleppey (Beach Road)
- Alleppey (Punnamada - The Finishing Point)
The Roadblock was to ride bulls at top speed across a mud course the size of a football field. The Detour on this leg was Trunks or Baskets. In Trunks teams load 2 bales of coir on to an elephant and ride it to the coir shop. David and Jeff, Jon and Al, Millie and Chuck, Kelly and Jon, and Tian and Jaree completed this option. In Baskets teams had to load 10 chickens into baskets on a bicycle-powered wagon and take it to a farm. Reichen and Chip completed this option.
- Additional task
- At the National Highway 47, Teams must find a big billboard with a yellow and red marker for find the next clue.
Leg 8 (India → Malaysia)Edit
- Cochin (Cochin International Airport) to Kota Kinabalu, West Coast Division, Sabah, Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu International Airport)
- Penampang (Monsopiad Cultural Village)
- Kota Kinabalu (Jesselton Point Jetty)
- Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (Manukan Island)
The Detour on this leg was Trap or Net. In Trap teams took their boat to a group of lobster boats and pull weighted lobster traps out. Jon and Al and Reichen and Chip completed this option. In Net teams took their boat to a fishing platform and use a net to catch 15 fish in a pen. Millie and Chuck, David and Jeff, and Kelly and Jon completed this option. The Roadblock was to hit 3 different targets with 3 weapons a bow and arrow, a blowpipe and a spear then they could run to the Pit Stop.
Leg 9 (Malaysia)Edit
- Ranau (Poring Hot Springs)
- Sandakan, Sandakan Division (Trushidup Palm Oil Plantation)
- Sepilok (Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary)
- Kinabatangan (Gomantong Caves)
- Sepilok (Sepilok Nature Resort)
The Detour on this leg was Haul or Chop. In Haul teams used a wheelbarrow to carry 25 nut bunches to a truck. Jon and Al, David and Jeff, and Millie and Chuck completed this option. In Chop teams had to use local tools to chop down palm nut bunches with a clue envelope attached. Kelly and Jon completed this option. The Fast Forward was to find a feeding station in the jungle and feed two pieces of fruit to an orangutan. Reichen and Chip completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to climb a rattan ladder to 50 feet above the stone cave's floor and grab a hanging clue.
Leg 10 (Malaysia → South Korea)Edit
- Sandakan (Puu Jih Shih Temple)
- Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu Airport) to Seoul, South Korea ( Seoul International Airport)
- Seoul (Namsan Park - N Seoul Tower)
- Cheorwon (Hantan River, Sundam Valley - Rafting Korea)
- Seoul (Subway Station 228)
- Seoul (Gyeongbokgung Palace at Geunjeongjeon Hall)
The Roadblock was to plunge into the icy river and swim under the ice to an exit hole. The Detour choices in this leg were Strong Stomach or Strong Hands. In Strong Stomach, teams had to go to a restaurant where they had to order and eat a Korean delicacy. What they didn't know until it was given to them is that the delicacy was a large bowl of live octopuses. Reichen and Chip completed this option. In Strong Hands, teams had to go to a local Tae Kwon Do dojang and break three boards before being receiving their clue. Kelly and Jon, Jon and Al, and David and Jeff completed this option.
- Additional task
- At the Temple, Teams must search through thousands of tiny Buddha figurines for the one with their names on it. Behind the figurine would be a key to a rattan bag holding their next clue.
Leg 11 (South Korea → Australia)Edit
- Seoul (Hangang Park at Yeouido Island)
- Seoul, South Korea (Seoul International Airport) to Brisbane or Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Airport)
- Brisbane (Penthouse on Holiday Inn)
- Sunshine Coast
- Mooloolaba (UnderWater World)
- Mooloolaba (Yacht Club)
The Detour choices were Foot First or Face First. In Foot First, teams had to spot a building with a race flag on top of it and then travel on foot to the top of that building. When they reach to the top, they would receive their next clue. No teams completed this option. In Face First, teams had to go to Holiday Inn, Brisbane and do a face-first rappel 30 feet from the penthouse down to the ground before receiving their next clue. Reichen and Chip, Kelly and Jon, and Jon and Al completed this option. In this leg's Fast Forward, teams had to perform an Australian Surf Rescue. David and Jeff completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to walk across a pool filled with 100 sharks inside an aquarium to retrieve the clue from a small chest.
- Additional task
- At the Hangang Park teams had to pull on a string attached to a marked pedestal to release a clue attached to the kites flying overhead.
Leg 12 (Australia)Edit
- Ferny Hills (Woolshed)
- Brisbane (Brisbane Airport) to Aeroglen, Cairns (Cairns International Airport)
- Palm Cove, Cairns (Wild World)
- Cairns (Wangetti Beach)
- Julatten, Cairns (Off Road Rush)
- Cairns (Ellis Beach)
The Detour on this leg was Saddle or Paddle. In Saddle teams took a horse down a one and a half mile of beach to one of 4 race flags then search a 25 foot radius for a cluster of clue envelopes. Only 1 cluster contained the clue, the other 4 instructed them to try again. David and Jeff, Reichen and Chip, Kelly and Jon completed this option. In Paddle teams inflate a kayak and take it to an orange buoy. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock was to drive a race buggy down a 7 mile muddy road with an instructor.
- Additional task
- At the Woolshed, teams had to search in a large pile of wool for their next clue.
- At the Wild World, One team member must use a feeding stick to feed a crocodile, while the other team member takes a picture with Kodak EasyShare camera.
Leg 13 (Australia → United States)Edit
- Smithfield, Cairns (Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park)
- Aeroglen, Cairns (Cairns International Airport - General Aviation Terminal)
- Aeroglen, Cairns (Cairns International Airport) to Hawaii, USA (Kona International Airport)
- Hawai'i (Kaulana Bay)
- Hawai'i (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park)
- Hawaii, USA (Kona International Airport) to Phoenix, Arizona (Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport)
- Phoenix (USS Arizona Memorial)
- Tempe (Sun Devil Stadium)
- Phoenix (Papago Park)
The Detour on this leg was Wing It or Wander It. In Wing It, teams skydive 10000 feet with an instructor. They find their next clue in the skydive landing zone. David and Jeff, Kelly and Jon, and Reichen and Chip completed this option. In Wander It, teams drive to a forest and find a boat to take them to the skydive landing zone. Once they find the correct zone, they would receive their next clue. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock was to swim to a floating tiki head, dive underwater to retrieve a rock, carry it back to the beach and smash it open for the clue inside.
- Additional tasks
- At the Cultural Park, Team members must perform a local ceremony with fire. The torch signals to enter carrying three traditional messages for receiving a next clue.
- At the Sun Devil Stadium, Teams must solve a riddle, which will tell them which seat their clue is in.
+++ Reichen & Chip - Hilo, Hawaii (Hilo International Airport)
+++ Kelly & Jon - Kona, Hawaii (Kona International Airport)
- Millie & Chuck got hopelessly lost in Leg 9.
- Jon tumbled over at the Roadblock in Leg 12.
- First time visits to the Netherlands and South Korea.
- First Season where the top 3 in the first leg who was elimationed
- Most number of teams who have won a leg, 9 teams.
- Most number of teams who won the Fast Forward, 7 teams.
- Lowest number of teams who have not won a leg, 3 teams.
- Most number of male teams, 5 (Tied with The Amazing Race 23).
- Reichen & Chip
- First gay team to win the race.
- First romantically involved couple to win the race.
- First married team to win the race.
- Kelly & Jon
- First team to enter the final three without the use of the Fast Forward
- David & Jeff
- Jon & Al
- Millie & Chuck
- Tian & Jaree
- Monica & Sheree
- First team to used the fast forward but not placed 1st or last.
- Steve & Dave
- Steve & Josh
- Russell & Cindy
- Amanda & Chris
- Had the biggest fall, 1st to 11th.
- Debra & Steve
- This season has the longest episode titles out of any season of The Amazing Race.
- There are three Steves in this race.
- Least amount female contestants in the final three, 1. (Tied with Season 1,Season 9, Season 16, Season 21)
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia, or uses Wikipedia as its source for information. Please take note that the content of the entire page may look similar to the content published in Wikipedia, as the source of the page's information is Wikipedia, unless otherwise stated. (view authors)|
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27)
Hey! Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, 703 Survivor!