|The Amazing Race 3|
|Distance traveled||41,000 miles (66,000 km)|
|Starting line||Everglades National Park, Florida|
|Finish line||Gas Works Park, Seattle, Washington|
|Filming dates||August 9, 2002 - September 7, 2002|
|Season run||October 2, 2002 - December 18, 2002|
|Number of legs||13|
|Number of teams||12|
|Winning team||Flo & Zach|
|Runner(s)-up|| Teri & Ian|
Ken & Gerard
|Previous Season||The Amazing Race 2|
|Next Season||The Amazing Race 4|
The Amazing Race 3 is the third season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on October 2, 2002 and ended on December 18, 2002 on CBS.
Filming began on August 9, 2002 and finished on September 7, 2002. This season traveled a total of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) across 13 countries in four continents, all of which were newly visited, unlike previous seasons.
Royal Caribbean International, Kodak, American Express and T-Mobile were the official sponsors during this season and provided prizes throughout the race to winning teams on certain legs.
|Episode||Air Date||Leg||Destination||First Place||Last Place||Finish|| Viewership|
|1||"What If Our Parachute Doesn't Open?"||October 2, 2002||1||United States → Mexico||Ken & Gerard||Gina & Sylvia|| 1st Eliminated|
|2||"This Seems Like the Path Straight to Hell!"||October 9, 2002||2||Mexico||Derek & Drew||Tramel & Talicia|| 2nd Eliminated|
|3||"You Always Just Forget About Me!"||October 16, 2002||3||Mexico → United Kingdom||Derek & Drew||Dennis & Andrew|| 3rd Eliminated|
|4||"Did You See How I Stopped It? With My Face"||October 23, 2002||4||United Kingdom → Portugal||Ken & Gerard||Heather & Eve|| 4th Eliminated|
|5||"What Happens If I Slip? Am I Just Hanging Off A Cliff?"||October 30, 2002||5||Portugal → Spain → Morocco||Ken & Gerard||Michael & Kathy|| 5th Eliminated|
|6||"I'm a Much Better Liar Than You Are"||November 13, 2002||6||Morocco||Teri & Ian||Aaron & Arianne|| 6th Eliminated|
|7||"I'm Supposed To Be Indebted To Her For The Rest Of The Race?!"||November 20, 2002||7||Morocco → Germany → Austria → Germany||Flo & Zach||Andre & Damon|| 7th Eliminated|
|8||"This Is More Important Than Your Pants Falling Down!"||November 27, 2002||8||Germany → Switzerland||Derek & Drew||John Vito & Jill|| Non-Elimination|
|9||"Why Did You Have to Take Your Pants Off?!"||December 4, 2002||9||Switzerland||John Vito & Jill||Flo & Zach|| Non-Elimination|
|10||Switzerland → Malaysia → Singapore||Derek & Drew||John Vito & Jill|| 8th Eliminated|
|10||"Don't Try To Play The Moralist Now!"||December 11, 2002||11||Singapore → Vietnam||Teri & Ian||Derek & Drew|| 9th Eliminated|
|11||"They're Slithering To The Finish Line Like The Rest Of Us!"||December 18, 2002||12||Vietnam||Teri & Ian||Zach & Flo|| Non-Elimination|
|13||Vietnam → United States||Flo & Zach||Ken & Gerard||3rd Place|
|Teri & Ian||2nd Place|
This chart shows each teams ranking per leg according to their official check in at the Pit Stop. However, time penalties issued before the start of the next leg due to improperly performed tasks are not reflected here.
|Place||Team||Leg 1||Leg 2||Leg 3||Leg 4||Leg 5||Leg 6||Leg 7||Leg 8||Leg 9||Leg 10||Leg 11||Leg 12||Leg 13||Average|
|1||Flo & Zach||2||5||3||2||4||2||1►||2||5||3||2||3||1||2.69||1-10|
|2||Teri & Ian||9||10||9||5||6||1►||4||3||4||4||1||1||2||4.54||2-9|
|3||Ken & Gerard||1►||6||2||1||1||3||5||4||2||2||3||2||3||2.69||6-6|
|4||Derek & Drew||11||1►||1||3||3||4||2||1||3||1||4||3.10||6-4|
|5||John Vito & Jill||5||7||7||6||4||5||3||5||1►||5||4.80||5-3|
|6||Andre & Damon||7||8||8||4||2||6||6||5.86||2-3|
|7||Aaron & Arianne||3||2||4||8||7||7||5.16||3-2|
|8||Michael & Kathy||4||4||6||7||8||5.80||3-0|
|9||Heather & Eve||6||3||5||9||5.75||3-0|
|10||Dennis & Andrew||8||9||10►||9.00||0-1|
|11||Tramel & Talicia||10||11||10.50||1-0|
|12||Gina & Sylvia||12||12.00||0-0|
1: Andre & Damon initially arrived 7th, but since they didn't follow the donkey route correctly, they were issued a 78-minute penalty and started the next leg in 9th. They then overslept an extra three minutes at the start of the next leg, while Dennis & Andrew and Teri & Ian are now departed 7th and 8th place.
2: Dennis & Andrew completed the Fast Forward task, but were too far behind the other teams and they still came in last and were eliminated.
3: Heather & Eve initially arrived 1st, but they took a taxi instead of traveling on foot to the Pit Stop as the clue had specified. However, they were returned along with the last team – Aaron & Arianne – and sat together with Phil. Heather & Eve were issued a 37-minute penalty. Aaron & Arianne were checked in and they were still in the Race, resulting in Heather & Eve being eliminated.
4: Flo & Zach and John Vito & Jill both agreed to a 4th place tie after both teams stepped on the Pit Stop mat at the same time.
5: It is unknown whether Michael or Kathy performed the Roadblock in Leg 5. Their tally was not included.
6: During the leg, Andre & Damon had fallen so far behind that all the other teams had already checked into the Pit Stop before Andre & Damon even arrived at the Detour. When they finally reached the Route Marker, instead of performing the Detour, Andre & Damon were instructed to go directly to the Pit Stop, where they were eliminated.
7: An additional task in Leg 10 was presented to teams as a Roadblock but was aired as a miscellaneous task. This task is included in the tally as every team was shown having a particular member performing it.
8: Derek & Drew initially arrived 3rd, but had inadvertently skipped the Roadblock due to them not having followed a marked path from its starting point. They were forced to backtrack and perform the Roadblock. As a result, Derek & Drew fell to last place and were eliminated.
- Derek & Drew grabbing the Fast Forward in Leg 2 jumping from 11th to 1st.
- The 2nd bus got hit by a car in Leg 2.
- Heather & Eve misread their clue on the way to the pit stop.
- Half of the 8 remaining teams in Leg 5 put in unleaded gasoline into their vehicles instead of putting in the diesel.
- Derek & Drew having difficulties finding a route marker and mistakenly going to the Pit Stop without completing the Roadblock.
- Andre and Damon going to the wrong place for the Pit Stop and asked for their passports resulting in their elimination in the following leg.
- First time visits to Mexico, United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam.
- The only season in which every single country visited had never been visited on a previous season.
- The first time a North American country outside of the United States is visited.
- First season to feature twelve teams.
- First season to have only three non-elimination legs.
- First co-ed team to arrive first at the Finish Line.
- Thus, Flo became the first female to win the race.
- First season to have back-to-back non-elimination legs.
- First season in which all teams in the top five won a leg.
- First season in which teams were allowed to communicate with their loved ones back at home during the race.
- Last season in which the final three teams won a Fast Forward in a prior leg.
- First time that the penultimate leg did not take place in the United States.
- First season not to travel to any US states outside the contiguous United States.
Pit Stop Greeters
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- Brennan Swain (09/15/2002): "Pre-Race Prognostication"
- Tatiana Morales on The Early Show (10/01/2002): "Another Race At The Starting Line"
- Cary Darling at The Miami Herald (10/01/2002): "Real-life skills add depth to reality show"
- Tim Holland at TV Guide Online (10/02/2002): "Amazing Stories"
- Paul Brownfield at Los Angeles Times (09/22/2003): "Amazing Race takes Emmy win in stride"
- CBS.com - The Amazing Race 3
- ↑ http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-amazing-race-3-announced-on-cbs-fall-2002-schedule-266.php
- ↑ http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/cbs-now-taking-applications-for-the-amazing-race-3-260.php
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20030806052727/http://www.tvguide.com/showguide/ShowPage.asp?iprogramid=3578995
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 http://www.spottedratings.com/2011/12/spotvault-amazing-race-cbs-fall-2002.html
The Amazing Race Season Index United States 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 ·
16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ·
28 · 29
Asia 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 Australia 1 · 2 · 3 Brazil 1 Canada 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 Central Europe Cancelled China 1 · 2 · 3 China Rush 1 · 2 · 3 France 1 Israel 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 Latin America 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 Norway 1 · 2 The Philippines 1 · 2 Ukraine 1 Vietnam 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5