|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
The Amazing Race 3 is the third season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on October 2, 2002 and ended on December 18, 2002 on CBS.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 3 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Flo & Zach||Friends||2nd||5th||3rd||2nd||4th||2nd||1stƒ||2nd||5th||3rd||2nd||3rd||1st||1-9|
|Teri & Ian*||Married Parents||9th||10th||9th||5th||6th||1stƒ||4th||3rd||4th||4th||1st||1st||2nd||2-8|
|Ken & Gerard||Brothers||1stƒ||6th||2nd||1st||1st||3rd||5th||4th||2nd||2nd||3rd||2nd||3rd||3-6|
|Derek & Drew||Twins/Models||11th||1stƒ||1st||3rd||3rd||4th||2nd||1st||3rd||1st||4th7||Eliminated 9th||7-4|
|John Vito & Jill*||Dating||5th||7th||7th||6th||4th||5th||3rd||5th||1stƒ||5th||Eliminated 8th||4-3|
|Andre & Damon||Cop and Fireman||7th1||8th||8th||4th||2nd||6th||6th5||Eliminated 7th||2-3|
|Aaron & Arianne||Lifelong Friends||3rd||2nd||4th||8th||7th||7th||Eliminated 6th||3-2|
|Michael & Kathy||Long-Distance Dating||4th||4th||6th||7th||8th||Eliminated 5th||3-04|
|Heather & Eve||Law School Roommates||6th||3rd||5th||9th3||Eliminated 4th||3-0|
|Dennis & Andrew||Father/Son||8th||9th||10thƒ2||Eliminated 3rd||0-1|
|Tramel & Talicia||Brother/Sister||10th||11th||Eliminated 2nd||1-0|
|Gina & Sylvia||Soccer Moms||12th||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Andre & Damon initially arrived 7th, but since they didn't follow the donkey route correctly, they were issued a 78-minute penalty and started the next leg in 9th. They then overslept an extra three minutes at the start of the next leg, while Dennis & Andrew and Teri & Ian are now departed 7th and 8th place.
Note 2: Dennis & Andrew completed the Fast Forward task, but were too far behind the other teams and they still came in last and were eliminated.
Note 3: Heather & Eve initially arrived 1st, but they took a taxi instead of traveling on foot to the Pit Stop as the clue had specified. However, they were returned along with the last team – Aaron & Arianne – and sat together with Phil. Heather & Eve were issued a 37-minute penalty. Aaron & Arianne were checked in and they were still in the Race, resulting in Heather & Eve being eliminated.
Note 4: It is unknown whether Michael or Kathy performed the Roadblock in Leg 5. Their tally was not included.
Note 5: During the leg, Andre & Damon had fallen so far behind that all the other teams had already checked into the Pit Stop before Andre & Damon even arrived at the Detour. When they finally reached the Route Marker, instead of performing the Detour, Andre & Damon were instructed to go directly to the Pit Stop, where they were eliminated.
Note 6: An additional task in Leg 10 was presented to teams as a Roadblock but was aired as a miscellaneous task. This task is not included in the tally even though every team was shown having a particular member performing it.
Note 7: Derek & Drew initially arrived 3rd, but had inadvertently skipped the Roadblock due to them not having followed a marked path from its starting point. They were forced to backtrack and perform the Roadblock. As a result, Derek & Drew fell to last place and were eliminated.
The episode titles are:
- "What If Our Parachute Doesn't Open?" – Eve
- "This Seems Like The Path Straight To Hell!" – Arianne
- "You Always Just Forget About Me!" – Flo
- "Did You See How I Stopped It? With My Face" – John Vito
- "What Happens If I Slip? Am I Just Hanging Off A Cliff?" – Flo
- "I’m A Much Better Liar than You Are" – Flo
- "I’m Supposed To Be Indebted To Her For The Rest Of The Race?!" – Derek
- "This Is More Important Than Your Pants Falling Down!" – Ian
- "Why Did You Have To Take Your Pants Off?" – Flo
- "Don’t Try To Play The Moralist Now!" – Flo
- "They’re Slithering To The Finish Line Like The Rest Of Us!" – Ian
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → Mexico)Edit
- Everglades National Park, Florida, United States (Starting Line)
- Miami (Miami International Airport) to Mexico City, Mexico (Mexico City International Airport)
- Mexico City (Angel of Independence)
- Mexico City (Zócalo)
- Mexico City (Hotel de las Cortes)
- Mexico City (Plaza Santo Domingo)
- Amacuzac, Morelos (Aerodromo Tequesquitengo, Tequesquitengo)
- Amacuzac, Morelos (Hacienda San Gabriel de las Palmas)
The Detour on this leg was Wings or Wheels. In Wings, teams skydived 10000 feet with an instructor. When both teams landed in landing point, an instructor would give their next clue. Aaron and Arianne, Flo and Zach, John Vito and Jill, Heather and Eve, Tramel and Talicia, Derek and Drew and Gina and Sylvia completed this option. In Wheels, teams guided a donkey-drawn cart over a seven mile course through a Mexican village. Michael and Kathy, Dennis and Andrew, Teri and Ian, and Andre and Damon completed this option. When the course on its correct path, they would get the next clue. The Fast Forward was to travel to a local market and search for a typist who had a clue for them. Ken and Gerard completed this Fast Forward.
- Additional Task
- At the Angel of Independence, teams received a picture of a man named Pablo. Teams had to find him by looking at his location in the picture. Teams had to figure out he was at Zócalo.
Leg 2 (Mexico)Edit
- Teotihuacán (Pyramid of the Sun)
- Mexico City (Museum of Anthropology)
- Mexico City (Terminal de Autobuses de Pasajeros de Oriente/TAPO) to Cancún, Quintana Roo (Autobuses de Oriente)
- Cancún (San Marino Marina)
- Playa del Carmen (Calle 3 Sur) to Cozumel (Muelle Fiscal)
- Cozumel (Chankanaab Park)
- Tulum (Diamante K Bungalows)
The Detour on this leg was Horsepower or Manpower. In Horsepower teams searched a large area on a waverunner for the clue. Flo and Zach, Aaron and Arianne, Heather and Eve, John Vito and Jill, Dennis and Andrew, Tramel and Talicia, Andre and Damon, and Teri and Ian completed this option. In Manpower teams searched a small area in kayaks for the clue. Ken and Gerard and Michael and Kathy completed this option. The Fast Forward was to climb a 100 foot pole then hanging by their feet swing around the pole to the bottom. Derek and Drew completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to swim with a family of dolphins to find the next clue at the bottom of the lagoon. Arianne, Zach, Heather, Michael, Ken, John Vito, Damon, Andrew, Ian, and Tramel performed this Roadblock.
Leg 3 (Mexico → England → Scotland)Edit
- Cancun (Cancún International Airport) to London, England (Heathrow International Airport)
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire (Scudamore's)
- Cambridge (Duxford Imperial War Museum)
- Cambridge (Parker's Piece) to Aberdeen, Scotland (Bus Station)
- Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire (Dunnottar Castle)
The Detour on this leg was Punt or Bike. In Punt teams rowed a boat called a punt 1 mile down the River Cam. Derek and Drew, Ken and Gerard, Michael and Kathy, Heather and Eve, John Vito and Jill, Andre and Damon and Teri and Ian completed this option. In Bike teams rode a bicycle on a marked 6 mile course through Cambridge. Aaron and Arianne and Flo and Zach completed this option. The Fast Forward was to maneuver a tank through a battlefield obstacle course in 90 seconds. Dennis and Andrew completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to compete in three traditional Scottish games: Caber toss, Bell throw and shotput. Ken, Derek, Heather, Zach, Aaron, Michael, Jill, Teri, and Andre performed this Roadblock.
Leg 4 (Scotland → Portugal)Edit
- Stonehaven (Harbor)
- Aberdeen (Aberdeen Airport) to Porto, Portugal (Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport)
- Vila Nova de Gaia (Calem Port Lodge)
- Porto, Portugal (São Bento Train Station) to Lisbon, Portugal (Santa Apolónia)
- Lisbon (Estádio do Restelo - Gate F)
- Lisbon (Torre de Belém)
The Detour on this leg was Old School or New School. In Old School teams load a barrel of wine on to a boat, help row it across then deliver it to O Muro restaurant. Derek and Drew, Ken and Gerard, Aaron and Arianne, Teri and Ian and Michael and Kathy completed this option. In New School teams load crates of wine on to a truck and deliver them to three different restaurants: Chez Lapin, Retiro dos Carvalhos, and Café Majestic. John Vito and Jill, Flo and Zach, Andre and Damon and Heather and Eve completed this option. The Roadblock was to block one penalty kick from a teenage soccer star. Ken, Zach, Michael, John Vito, Heather, Drew, Damon, Ian, and Arianne performed this Roadblock.
Leg 5 (Portugal → Spain → Morocco)Edit
- Sintra (Cabo da Roca)
- Algeciras, Spain (Puerto Bahía de Algeciras) to Tangier, Morocco (Port de Tangier)
- Tangier (Viajes Flandria Travel Agency)
- Fes(Fes el Bali)
- Fes (Northern Borj Fortress)
The Detour on this leg was Slopes or Ropes . In Slopes teams walked down sloping trails to the bottom. Flo and Zach completed this option. In Ropes teams take a shuttle bus to the cliffs then rappel 300 feet to the bottom. Aaron and Arianne, John Vito and Jill, Michael and Kathy, Teri and Ian, Andre and Damon, Ken and Gerard and Derek and Drew completed this option. At the Viajes Fiandria, Teams must sign up for seats on charter buses departing one hour apart to the city of Fes.The Roadblock was to go to Dar Dbagh Chouara Tannery and search through 3 vats of foul smelling dye for their next clue. Gerard, Damon, Derek, John Vito, Ian, Zach, and Aaron performed this Roadblock.
Leg 6 (Morocco)Edit
- Casablanca (Hassan II Mosque)
- Casablanca (Gare Casa Voyageurs) to Marrakech (Gare de Marrakech)
- Marrakech (Carpet Shop)
- Marrakech (Palmerie Oasis)
- Marrakech (Café Glacier)
- Marrakech (Riad Catalina)
The Detour on this leg was Now You See It or Now You Don't. In Now You See It teams take a horse to a flag they could see and dig for a clue painted on pottery. No teams completed this option. In Now You Don't teams take a sandbike to a flag they couldn't see and make a rubbing of the clue etched on a stone. Andre and Damon, Derek and Drew, Ken and Gerard, John Vito and Jill, Flo and Zach and Aaron and Arianne completed this option. The Fast Forward was to look through a carpet shop for a mat with the Fast Forward emblem on it. Teri and Ian completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to help a food vendor set up and sell 5 bowls of escargot.
Leg 7 (Morocco → Germany → Austria → Germany)*Edit
- Marrakech (Marrakech Airport) to Munich, Germany (Munich International Airport)
- Munich (Friedensengel)
- Munich (Eisbach River)
- Munich (München Hauptbahnhof) to Innsbruck, Austria (Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof)
- Innsbruck (Annasäule or Pillar of St. Ana)
- Innsbruck (Nord Park Seegrube Station)
- Füssen, Germany (Neuschwanstein Castle)
The Detour on this leg was Sled or Skate. In Sled teams take a bobsled down an Olympic bobsled track with a team of bobsledders.
Teri and Ian, Derek and Drew, Ken and Gerard and John Vito and Jill completed this option. In Skate teams would go on a skating rally around an Olympic ice rink with a pair of skaters. No teams completed this option. Andre and Damon got to the Detour after all of the other teams checked in and they were sent straight to the Pit Stop without completing either option. The Fast Forward was to attract the attention of a surfer surfing on the river. Flo and Zach completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to descend 230 feet on a rescue cable from a gondola.
* While most teams performed the entire leg into and back out of Austria, Flo & Zach took that leg's Fast Forward clue (located in Munich) and thus stayed in Germany.
Leg 8 (Germany → Switzerland)Edit
- Füssen (Augustinerhof Farm)
- Friedrichshafen, Germany to Romanshorn, Switzerland
- Romanshorn ( Romanshorn Hauptbahnhof) to Schaffhausen (Schaffhausen Hauptbahnhof)
- Schaffhausen (Schaffhausen Hauptbahnhof) to Zürich (Zurich Hauptbahnhof) to Lindenhof
- Grindelwald (Chalet Arnika)
The Detour of this leg was Run the Numbers or Count the Money. Both detour options gave the same number 127,850 which was used as a combination to open a safe containing the next clue. In Run the Numbers teams had to run around Zürich to find three different numbers by various means: Züri-Familie in Sealshofstrasse and Bahnhofstrasse 12 (sculpted by Kurt Laurenz Metzler), St. Peter's Church 7, and Lindenhof 50. John Vito and Jill, Derek and Drew, Flo and Zach, Ken and Gerard, and Teri and Ian completed this option. In Count the Money, teams had to count a large amount of Swiss currency inside a jar. 127,850 No teams completed this option. The Roadblock was to relive the story of William Tell: shoot an apple off a mannequin child's head with a crossbow.
- Additional Task
- At the farm in Füssen, Germany teams had to search in a large haystack for their next clue.
Leg 9 (Switzerland)Edit
- Grindelwald (Gletscherschlucht)
- Kandersteg (Cheese Cabin)
- Niouc (Val d'Anniviers Adventure Park near the Red Bridge)
- Veytaux (Chateau de Chillon)
- Montreux (Steamship Savoie)
The Detour on this leg was Very Swiss or Extreme Swiss. In Very Swiss teams searched through Swiss bells on the necks of sheep for keys to unlock a box with their next clue. Ken and Gerard, Flo and Zach, and Teri and Ian completed this option. In Extreme Swiss teams had to walk on a narrow red bridge then bungee jump 620 feet from it. Derek and Drew completed this option. The Fast Forward was to eat enough of a wheel of cheese sliced into cubes to reveal the clue underneath it. John Vito and Jill completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to assemble a Swiss army bike from a pile of parts with a completed bike as a reference.
Leg 10 (Switzerland → Malaysia → Singapore)Edit
- Geneva (Jet d'Eau)
- Geneva, Switzerland (Geneva Cointrin International Airport) to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur International Airport)
- Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Twin Towers)
- Kuala Lumpur (Ampang Park)
- Kuala Lumpur (Kuala Lumpur Central) to Singapore (Tanjong Pagar railway station)
- Singapore (National Orchid Garden)
- Singapore (Suntec City - Fountain of Wealth)
- Singapore (Mount Faber)
The Detour on this leg was Wet or Dry. In Wet teams drive to Singapore Zoo and they needed to find the manatee enclosure at the Zoo and swim through the pool to get the clue on the other side. Derek and Drew and Teri and Ian completed this option. In Dry teams drive to Choa Chu Kang and they searched several streets, all with similar names, for a particular building in Block 229. Once inside, they would need to locate Unit 10-137 containing Singaporean TV star Phua Chu Kang. However, the elevators in the building didn't stop at all floors, making it more difficult for teams to find the room. Ken and Gerard, Flo and Zach, and John Vito and Jill completed this option.
- Additional tasks
- At Jet d'Eau, teams received a flag and they were left to figure out for the next destination was Malaysia.
- At the Petronas Twin Towers, teams have to find a local and take their picture in front of the towers, using a Kodak EasyShare Digital Camera.
- At Ampang Park, teams find a photograph shop to develop pictures from Petronas Twin Towers to print the next clue.
Leg 11 (Singapore → Vietnam)Edit
- Singapore (Singapore Changi Airport) to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat International Airport)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Rex Square - Bac Ho Statue)
- Cái Bè (Mekong Delta)
- Ho Chi Minh City (2A Ton Duc Thang Street)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Café Thu Thiem)
The Detour on this leg was Hard Sell or Easy Buy. In Hard Sell teams carried a fruit filled shoulder basket and sell a worth of fruit for 40,000 dong or $2.50. Ken and Gerard and Flo and Zach completed this option. In Easy Buy teams hired a sampan to search a floating market for a vendor who sells water coconuts. Teri and Ian and Derek and Drew completed this option. The Roadblock was to drive the other team member in cyclos or bicycle taxis through a marked path, over a ferry and to the pitstop.
Leg 12 (Vietnam)Edit
- Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon Train Station) to Huế (Hue Train Station)
- Huế (Imperial City - Hien Lam Cac Pavilion)
- Nam O, Da Nang (Bridge)
- Hoi An (Dock in Bach Dang Street to middle of Thu Bon River)
- Hoi An (Thu Bon River - Fishing Platform)
- Hoi An (China Beach)
The Detour on this leg was Basket Boats or Basket Bikes. In Basket Boats teams take a basket boat across the river to the clue box. Flo and Zach completed this option. In Basket Bike teams took a bike laden with shrimp baskets and travel 1 mile down the road to the clue box. Ken and Gerard and Teri and Ian completed this option. The Roadblock was to use a fishing platform to raise a net out of the water with the clue dangling underneath.
Leg 13 (Vietnam → United States)Edit
- Da Nang (Quang Minh Temple)
- Da Nang (Da Nang train station) to Hanoi (Hanoi train station)
- Hanoi (Noi Bai International Airport) to Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (Honolulu International Airport)
- Haleiwa (Puaena Point)
- Honolulu (Honolulu International Airport) to Kauai (Lihue Airport)
- Kauai (Wailua Falls)
- Kauai (Lihue Airport) to Seattle, Washington (Seattle-Tacoma International Airport)
- Seattle (Kerry Park)
- Seattle (International Fountain, Seattle Center)
- Seattle (Lincoln Park)
- Seattle (Gas Works Park)
The Detour on this leg was Slow Walk or Quick Drop. In Slow Walk teams take a marked trail to the falls. No teams completed this option. In Quick Drop teams took a 160 foot tandem drop to Wailua Falls then teams swim to shore and follow the arrows behind the cascading waters. Ken and Gerard, Flo and Zach, and Teri and Ian completed this option. The Roadblock was to spin animal faces on a totem pole to show the chronological order they appeared in the race.
- Additional task
- At the Kaiwana Point, Teams must get a blessing from a priest who will give them the next clue.
- Derek & Drew grabbing the Fast Forward in Leg 2 jumping from 11th to 1st.
- The 2nd bus got hit by a car in Leg 2.
- Heather & Eve misread their clue on the way to the pit stop.
- Half of the 8 remaining teams in Leg 5 put in unleaded gasoline into their vehicles instead of putting in the diesel.
- Derek & Drew having difficulties finding a route marker and mistakenly going to the Pit Stop without completing the Roadblock.
- First season to have back-to-back non-elimination legs.
- Flo & Zach
- First male/female team to win the race
- Flo, first female winner
- Teri & Ian
- Ken & Gerard
- Derek & Drew
- John Vito & Jill
- Andre & Damon
- Aaron & Arianne
- Michael & Kathy
- Heather & Eve
- First team to arrive at the pit stop first and be eliminated in the same leg (they were issued a 37-minute penalty for misreading their last clue).
- Dennis & Andrew
- First father/son team.
- First team to use the Fast Forward and be eliminated in the same leg.
- Tramel & Talicia
- Gina & Sylvia
- First team to finish in 12th place.
- Flo is the most quoted person for episode titles: 5 episodes.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)