|The Amazing Race 23|
|Winners||Jason & Amy|
|Aired||September 29, 2013 – December 8, 2013|
|Filming||June 9, 2013 – July 2, 2013|
|Traveled||35,000 miles (56,326 km)|
|Previous||The Amazing Race 22|
|Next||The Amazing Race: All-Stars (2014)|
The Amazing Race 23 is the twenty-third installment of the reality television series, The Amazing Race. CBS announced the season premiere will be Sunday, September 29, 2013. Teams were officially announced on August 28, 2013.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 23 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Jason & Amy||Dating||8th||5th||2nd||2nd||2nd||5th||2nd||2nd||3rd||1st||2nd||1st||6-7|
|Tim & Marie||Exes||1st||8th||8th||5th||1st6||4th||4th||3rd»||2nd||2nd||1st||2nd||6-7|
|Nicole & Travis||Married ER Doctors||2nd2||4th||1st||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||1st»8||4th||3rd||3rd||3rd||7-6|
|Leo & Jamal*||Cousins||7th||2nd3||6th||4th||6th«»||3rd||1st||4th«||1st9||4th||4th||Eliminated 8th||6-6|
|Ally & Ashley||NHL Ice Crew||6th||7th||7th||7th||7th||6th||5th||5th||5th||Eliminated 7th||4-6|
|Nicky & Kim||Baseball Wives||5th||9th||3rd||8th||4th||2nd||6th||6th«||Eliminated 6th||5-4|
|Tim & Danny||Best Friends||9th||6th||4th||6th||5th»|| 7th ||Eliminated 5th||3-4|
|Brandon & Adam||Childhood Friends||10th||3rd||5th||1st5||8th«||Eliminated 4th||2-4|
|Chester & Ephraim||Former NFL Teammates||4th||1st||9th4||Eliminated 3rd||2-1|
|Rowan & Shane||Theater Performers||3rd||10th||Eliminated 2nd||2-1|
|Hoskote & Naina||Father/Daughter||11th||Eliminated 1st||1-1|
1: The first leg featured two Roadblocks and no Detour. The partner of the team member who performed the first Roadblock had to perform the second one.
2: Nicole & Travis initially arrived 1st, but received a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi to the pitstop. Tim & Marie checked in during their penalty, dropping Nicole & Travis to 2nd place.
3: Leo & Jamal initially arrived 1st, but could not be checked in as they didn't pay their cab fare. By the time they paid it and returned to the mat, Chester & Ephraim arrived, dropping them to 2nd place.
4: Due to trouble with connecting flights and delays, Chester & Ephraim had fallen so far behind that all other teams had already checked into the Pit Stop by the time they finally arrived in Lisbon. Before they could go for their first clue, Phil greeted them personally at the airport to eliminate them.
5: Episode 4 ended with only Brandon & Adam checking-in at the pit stop while the other teams were still performing the tasks.
6: Tim & Marie used the Express Pass to bypass the Detour at leg 5.
7: A Fast Forward was available on Leg 6. Jason & Amy went for it, but due to unsafe weather conditions at the time which would have delayed them from performing the Fast Forward, they chose not to take it and resumed the normal route.
8: Nicole & Travis used their Express Pass to bypass the Detour at leg 8.
9: Leo & Jamal were a few minutes late for their pit start due to oversleep and departed last, alongside Ally & Ashley.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Legs and EpisodesEdit
Route Information • Detour • Roadblock • Fast Forward • Yield • Intersection • U-Turn •
Speed Bump • Hazard • Pit Stop
Means of Transportation Required:
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (United States → Chile)Edit
Title: "We're Not in Oklahoma No More" - Tim (of Tim & Danny)
- Starting Line: Melody Ranch Motion Picture Studio, Santa Clarita, California, United States
- Teams will receive a clue regarding a phone call and must pick a Ford Focus to make a call at the other side to receive instructions. Teams must dial a phone number where a man named Javier will tell them their first destination: Iquique, Chile. The first flight has limited number of seats.
- Flight from Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles to Diego Aracena International Airport, Iquique, Chile
- Upon arrival in Iquique, teams must look for Javier in Zona de Parapentes, Alto Hospicio to receive their next clue.
- Zona de Parapentes, Alto Hospicio
- Who wants to follow the leader?: The team member performing the first Roadblock must direct their taxi driver to the destination where their partner, who must paraglide down to the beach, will land.
- Muelle Prat, Iquique
- Who's got their oars in the water?: The team member who performed the paragliding in the first Roadblock must collect five fish from one of three boats by retrieving them on a rowboat to receive their next clue. The three boats had a limited number of fish each, and if any boat ran out of fish, the performer must paddle out to one of the other boats to get the fish.
- Teatro Municipal de Iquique, Iquique
- Tim & Marie won two Express Passes (the other must be given to another team before the fifth leg of the race) for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Chile)Edit
Title: "Zip It, Bingo" - Marie
- Museo Corbeta Esmeralda, Iquique
- Teams must repeat to the officer on the deck the famous quote, "¡Al abordaje, muchachos!" ("Charge the ship, men!"), that was said by the ship's last captain Arturo Prat at the Battle of Iquique to receive their next clue.
- Atacama Desert - Irlanda 3 road sign, Tarapacá Region
- Atacama Desert - Mina de Sal Punta de Lobos, Tarapacá Region
- Brining: Teams must carry bags of salt and dump them into a pool which must reach the neutral buoyancy where the teams are comfortably floating to read the local newspaper in order for the salt miner to give them their next clue.
- Mining: Teams must break open halite boulders with pick axes and sledgehammers until they have found their next clue.
- From Terminal Rodoviario, Iquique to Terminal San Borja, Santiago
- Plaza de Armas, Santiago
- Paseo Ahumada and Merced 738, Santiago
- Who's got the knack to pack?: One team member must play the role of a Chilean shoeshiner called a "lustrabota" where they have to polish the shoes of a waiting customer then figure out how to put back together the station into the cart, which they must finally bring to at the storage depot six blocks away where they will receive their next clue.
- Cascada de las Animas, San José de Maipo
- An unaired task required teams to zip-line above the Maipo River to the pit stop at the foot bridge.
- Cascada de las Animas - Foot Bridge, San José de Maipo
- Chester & Ephraim won a trip for two to the Turks and Caicos Islands for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Chile → Portugal)Edit
Title: "King Arthur Style" - Jason
- Flight from Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport, Santiago to Lisbon Portela Airport, Lisbon, Portugal
- Martim Moniz Square, Lisbon
- Teams must take a Lisbon tram from Martim Moniz Square to Miradouro das Portas do Sol.
- Miradouro das Portas do Sol, Lisbon
- Teams must search for Fado performers that would hand them a painting of the Embassy Coach sent by King John V to Pope Clement XI. Teams must figure out that the painting is telling them to travel to the National Coach Museum.
- National Coach Museum, Lisbon
- Teams must find the Embassy Coach illustrated in the painting that they were given where they will find their next clue.
- Fábrica Sant'Ana (Cerâmica Artistica), Lisbon / Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Lisbon
- Tiles: Teams must put together a life-size puzzle using porcelain tiles in order to receive their next clue.
- Miles: Teams must get a giant-sized compass at the Jerónimos Monastery then travel to Padrão dos Descobrimentos, where they will have to compute for the distance on a large map traveled by explorer Ferdinand Magellan on his voyage from Seville to the Philippine Islands. Once they have the correct answer of 16,500 nautical miles, a man dressed as Magellan would give them their next clue.
- Monsanto Forest Park - Clube Português de Tiro a Chumbo, Lisbon
- Who has the hands for slings and arrows?: One team member must wear a suit of armor then fire an arrow using a ballista through a shield 150 feet (46 m) away. Once it has been successfully shot, the knight would give them their next clue in a form of a shield with their clue written on the back.
- Castle of the Moors, Sintra
- Nicole & Travis won a trip for two to Costa Rica for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Portugal → Norway)Edit
Title: "Beards in the Wind" - Brandon
- Flight from Lisbon Portela Airport to Bodø Airport, Bodø, Nordland, Norway
- From Bodø Ferry Terminal, Bodø to Svolvær Ferry Terminal, Svolvær, Lofoten
- John Berg Svinøya AS fish processor, Svolvær
- Hang Your Heads: Teams must string ten fish heads into six bundles each, then they must load them into a wheelbarrow, transport them to a fish drying rack, and place them hanging on a marked rod to receive their next clue.
- Hammer of the Cods: Teams must collect 15 pairs of cod from a 30-foot high fish drying rack, then they must break the cods into fish jerky weighing 1 kilogram to receive their next clue.
- From Svolvær Havn - Lofoten Explorer, Svolvær to Rorbu village, Henningsvær
- Teams must take a rigid-hulled inflatable boat to the Rorbu village in Henningsvær.
- Henningsvær Bridge, Henningsvær
- Who's the biggest swinger?: One team member must wear a wet suit and perform a bungee jump off the Henningsvær Bridge, then they must release themselves into the Arctic Ocean, swim to the buoy where they will retrieve their next clue, and swim back to their partner waiting in the rigid-hulled inflatable boat.
- Rock quarry, Henningsvær
- Teams must get a Ford Ranger (T6) and attatch a sled with a granite boulder on top, then they must pull their sled with their Ford Ranger far enough to reveal their next clue and a pack of Viking coins, which they would need later in the race.
- →→ Viking Longhouse, Vestvågøy
- Although this is a double-length leg, Brandon & Adam still won US$5,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Norway → Poland)Edit
Title: "Get Our Groove On" - Adam
- From Svolvær Ferry Terminal, Svolvær to Trondheim Havn - Hurtigruten, Trondheim
- Flight from Trondheim Airport, Værnes, Trondheim to Gdańsk Lech Wałęsa Airport, Gdańsk, Poland
- Gdańsk Shipyard - Solidarity Square, Gdańsk
- Golden Gate, Gdańsk
- Long Market - Neptune Fountain, Gdańsk / Old Town Hall, Gdańsk
- Pose: Teams must wear costumes and pose as the depiction of Roman god Neptune in the fountain. They must collect at least 75 zł from bystanders in order to receive their next clue.
- Polka: Teams must wear traditional Polish dance costumes and perform a polka dance with the satisfaction of their dance instructor in order to receive their next clue.
- Motława Riverfront - Medieval Harbor Crane, Gdańsk
- Falowiec Apartment Complex, Gdańsk
- Who has a sweet tooth?: One team member will be given a list of room numbers located at Falowiec, which they must visit to taste samples of the traditional pastry called pączki. They will need to find the rose hip jam-filled pączki in order for the apartment resident to give them their next clue.
- Sopot Pier, Sopot
- Tim & Marie won a trip for two to Hawaii for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Poland → Austria)Edit
Title: "Choir Boy at Heart" - Leo & Jamal
- From Gdańsk Główny railway station, Gdańsk to Wien Meidling railway station, Vienna, Austria
- Vienna State Opera, Vienna
- Teams must search for a man dressed as Rigoletto, who will lead them to the dressing room where they will receive their next clue.
- Donauturm, Vienna
- Palais Lobkowitz - Austrian Theatre Museum, Vienna
- Light Brigade: Teams must properly assemble a crystal chandelier in order for the chamberlein to give them their next clue. However, if they incorrectly assemble it during their first try, the chamberlain would drop and break it and teams will have to start over again.
- Masquerade: Each team member must wear colored masks where they will then enter a ball room. Once inside, teams must find two Viennese dancers who wears the exact same mask as theirs to receive their next clue. However, teams must be careful as most of the masks contain minor differences. This task was similar to the Roadblock in leg 2 of Season 4 with the difference of rule to find the exact same mask by giving only a photo of a mask.
- Palais Augarten, Vienna
- Who's a choir boy at heart?: One team member must learn how to sing the lied "Die Forelle" by Franz Schubert. They will then join the Vienna Boys' Choir and must perform with the satisfaction of the choir master in terms of pronunciation of the German words and melody to receive their next clue.
- Schönbrunn Palace - Hedge maze, Vienna
- Teams must search around the maze for their next clue, which is located at a lookout.
- Schönbrunn Palace - Gloriette, Vienna
- Nicole & Travis won a trip for two to Anguilla for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Austria → United Arab Emirates)Edit
Title: "Speed Dating Is the Worst" - Ally
- Flight from Vienna International Airport, Vienna to Abu Dhabi International Airport, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi
- Female racers must wear an abaya upon entering the mosque.
- Irani Souk, Abu Dhabi
- Sort it Out: Teams must find the correct dates needed to create a designed display tray. Once their dates and design are correct, they will receive their next clue.
- Sew it Up: Teams must assemble a traditional fishing net with the satisfaction of the fishing boat captain in order to receive their next clue.
- From Al Bandar Marina, Abu Dhabi to Yas Marina, Yas Island
- Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi Hotel and Yas Marina Circuit, Yas Island
- Who wants to drop in on a hot lap?: One team member must rappel down from the 200-foot Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi Hotel, they then must get into Le Mans Prototype racecar and run a lap around the circuit, where they will search amongst signs of Formula One drivers' names and lap times for Sebastian Vettel's record of 1:40.279. Once they have told their pit crew chief the correct driver and his lap time, he would hand them out their next clue. If they were incorrect or did not tell the name or their lap time, they will have to run another lap.
- Yas Marina Circuit - Champions' Podium
- Leo & Jamal won a trip for two to Paris, France for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (United Arab Emirates)Edit
Title: "One Hot Camel" - Ashley
- Yas Marina Circuit - Garage Row, Yas Island
- Teams must use the Viking coins they received earlier in the fourth leg to unlock the Ford Explorer they will have to use to travel throughout the leg by decoding the numeric code.
- Al Khatim Desert
- Teams must use the dune buggies to travel through the marked course where they will retrieve their next clue.
- Al Ain Oasis - Al Ain National Museum, Al Ain
- Teams must search for their next clue located atop the date palm trees and ask a tree climber to climb the tree and retrieve the clue for them once they have found it.
- Al Jahili Fort, Al Ain
- Wedding Guests: Teams must collect and prepare the ingredients based on the recipe for a traditional dish called machbūs. Once the ingredients have been prepared accordingly to the recipe, they must deliver it to a cooking station and serve it to the wedding guests where they will receive their next clue.
- Beauty Contest: Teams must search for a camel that matches the guidelines and dress them up, they must then present them to a panel of judges and will receive their next clue if they decided on the winner.
- Al Jahili Tower, Al Ain
- Wadi Adventure, Ain al-Fayda, Al Ain
- For the Speed Bump, Nicky & Kim must swim across the wave pool with 3.3 meter-high waves throwing them every 90 seconds. If they were able to successfully swim across the wave pool, they could continue racing.
- Who likes rapid transit?: One team member must ride a river raft and collect three flags colored red, green, and black (three of the four colors in the flag of the United Arab Emirates) hanging as they travel across the world's largest man-made rapids to receive their next clue.
- Mercure Grand Hotel, Jebel Hafeet
- Nicole & Travis won a choice of any of the two Eco-Boost vehicles by Ford for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (United Arab Emirates → Indonesia)Edit
Title: "Part Like the Red Sea" - Ashley
- Flight from Abu Dhabi International Airport to Husein Sastranegara International Airport, Bandung, Indonesia
- Cikapandang Village Ram Arena, Cileunyi
- Teams must pick up two rams from a kei truck, which they will have to transport to a traditional West Javanese festival in the arena and must have their rams butt heads to receive their next clue.
- From Rancaekek Station, Rancaekek to Bandung Station, Bandung
- Simpang Dago Market, Bandung and Kebun Binatang Bandung Zoo, Bandung / Sukahaji Market, Bandung and Sumber Sari Arena, Bandung
- For the Elephants: Teams must travel to the market and pick up eight watermelons, two bunches of bananas, twelve potatoes, and five stalks of sugar cane, which they will have to transport to at the zoo via hand trollies. Once they have fed their elephants, they will receive their next clue.
- For the Birds: Teams must retrieve two peach faced lovebirds from the market and bring them to a bird singing competition at the arena, where they will have to encourage their birds to sing in order to receive their next clue.
- Saung Angklung Udjo, Bandung
- Who has an inkling for an angklung?: One team member must assemble a traditional musical instrument called an angklung, which they must put the stand correctly, put all eight notes in order, and could play a complete octave with the satisfaction of the students to receive their next clue.
- Bosscha Observatory, Lembang
- Leo & Jamal won US$7,500 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Indonesia)Edit
Title: "Cobra in My Teeth" - Tim
- Ciwangun Indah Camp - King Cobra House, Parongpong, West Bandung
- Teams must eat each of their own serving of a 20-centimeter portion of a grilled king cobra to receive their next clue.
- Tangkuban Perahu Volcano - Kawah Domas Crater, Subang
- Who's feeling hard boiled?: One team member must pick up 60 eggs and bring them to the Kawah Domas crater of Tangkuban Perahu via motorcycle taxi where they will have to hard boil them in one of the volcanic hot springs. Once they have returned to the kiosk and the egg man has cracked them open to test if the eggs are hard boiled, he will give them their next clue. However, if the egg man finds that the eggs are not that hard boiled and throws them, they will have to return to the hot spring and boil them until it is hard boiled.
- Tangkuban Perahu Volcano - Kawah Ratu Crater, Subang
- Gracia Spa Graha Ciater, Subang / Ciater Tea Plantation, Subang
- Paint Your Partner: Teams must make each other up as traditional Javanese brides using the provided cosmetics with the satisfaction of the beautician in order to receive their next clue.
- Turn Over a New Leaf: Teams must dress up as traditional tea farmers and search for a pair of clipping shears in a tea plantation farm. Once they have delivered the clipping shears to the forewoman, she will give them their next clue.
- Curug Cimahi, Cisarua, West Bandung Regency
- Jason & Amy won a trip for two to Cancún, Mexico for placing 1st in this leg.
Legs 11 & 12 - Episode 11 (Indonesia → Japan → United States)Edit
Title: "Amazing 'Crazy' Race" - Jamal
Leg 11 (Indonesia → Japan)
- Flight from Husein Sastranegara International Airport, Bandung to Narita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan
- Gotokuji Temple, Setagaya
- Tokyo Media City, Setagaya / Kinuta Park, Setagaya
- Knock It Down: Teams must participate in a Japanese game show called Human Bowling, where both members must dress up in costumes and slide down into a set of pins, acting as the bowling ball. If one members gets a strike, the game show host will give them their next clue.
- Call It Up: Teams must participate in an art installation where one team member must enter an obsolete phone booth filled with water and goldfish inside and make a phone call. They must then run to their partner and tell him/her the message they heard during the phone call ("Welcome to Tokyo. Wasabi taberu!"). Once they have told the judge the correct message, they will receive their next clue.
- Shinjuku Central Park, Shinjuku
- For the Speed Bump, Leo & Jamal must participate in a drill that involves capturing an escaped "rhinoceros" with a group of local zookeepers in order to continue racing.
- Who needs to pipe up or go home?: One team member must assemble a robot with the pipes given and using only a small toy as a guide with the satisfaction of the engineer to receive their next clue.
- Shibuya Scramble Crossing, Shibuya
- Teams must find a roaming vending machine that will give them their clue to the pit stop.
- Konnō Hachimangū Shrine, Shibuya
- Tim & Marie won a trip for two to Aruba for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 12 (Japan → United States) Edit
- Flight from Narita International Airport, Tokyo to Juneau International Airport, Juneau, Alaska, United States
- From Douglas Harbor, Douglas Island to Grizzly Bar, Mendenhall Valley
- Grizzly Bar, Mendenhall Valley
- Who needs to increase their flour power?: One team member must ride a bush plane and drop a bag of flour onto a marked target. Once they hit their target, the pilot will give them their receive their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams must fly on helicopters to Norris Glacier.
- Norris Glacier, Mendenhall Valley
- Teams must pick a mountain guide to guide them in climbing to the face of the glacier across a crevasse and an ice tunnel. Once they reach the face of the glacier, they must then search for the correct clue amongst several other false clues, using an ice axe to break it out.
- From Mendenhall Valley to a marked island in Hoonah
- Teams must travel via kayak to the marked island in Hoonah.
- Marked Island, Hoonah
- Teams must travel back to Douglas via helicopter.
- Blueberry Hills Trailhead, Juneau
- Teams must build a wall of totem poles spelling out the currencies of the countries they visited during the race in order (Chilean Peso, Euro in Portugal, Norwegian Krone, Polish Złoty, Euro in Austria, Emirati Dirham, Indonesian Rupiah, Japanese Yen, and United States Dollar) to receive their final clue.
- Finish Line: End of North Douglas Highway - Outer Point Trail, Juneau
- Jason & Amy won US$1,000,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- Chester & Ephraim's experienced several flight delays in leg 3.
- Brandon & Adam falling from 1st to last after switching Detours twice and being U-turned by Leo & Jamal.
- Leo & Jamal surviving being U-turned twice.
- Tim (Tim & Danny) sang out of tune at the boy choir Roadblock in Austria (Leg 6).
- Tim & Marie stealing Jason & Amy's taxi in Austria in leg 6.
- Amy helping Nicole (Travis & Nicole) at Indonesia (Leg 9) and Japan (Leg 11).
- Largest gap between one country's visit in a season and its previous season's visit (Portugal, which was previously visited in Season 3 [20 seasons]; tied with Season 25 for their visit to the Philippines, which was previously visited in 5).
- Fifth season where the final three teams are male-female teams after Season 19, coincidentally all the final three teams were involved love relationship among their own team member.
- Third season consecutively since Season 21 where no new sovereign countries were visited, as all the countries visited in this season have been previously visited before. (Season 22 featured French Polynesia, an overseas territory of France.)
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25)