- Main article: The Amazing Race 22 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Bates & Anthony||Hockey Brothers||2nd||1st||3rd||7th||4th||1st||1stƒ||1st||4th||2nd»||2nd||1st||6-6|
|Max & Katie||Newlyweds||9th2||8th||8th||3rd||2nd||7th||6th8||3rd||1st||1st»||1st||2nd||7-6|
|Mona & Beth||Roller Derby Moms||5th||6th||7th||6th||3rd||6th||2nd||2nd||5th||4th«||3rd||3rd||6-7|
|Caroline & Jennifer*||Country Singers||10th2||7th||6th||4th||5th||5th||3rd8||4th||3rd||3rd||4th||Eliminated 8th||6-6|
|Joey & Meghan*||YouTube Hosts||6th||4th||5th||5th||6th»«||4th||5th||5th||2nd||5th«||Eliminated 7th||6-5|
|Chuck & Wynona||Married||7th||5th||9th||8th||7th«7||3rd||4th||6th9||Eliminated 6th||5-4|
|Pam & Winnie||Best Friends||4th||9th||4th||2nd||1st»||2nd||7th||Eliminated 5th||4-4|
|Dave & Connor*||Father/Son||3rd||2nd||1st3||1st||8th6||Eliminated 4th||1-4|
|Jessica & John*||Dating||1st||3rd||2nd||9th5||Eliminated 3rd||2-3|
|Idries & Jamil||Twin Doctors||8th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||1-2|
|Matt & Daniel||Firefighters||11th2||Eliminated 1st||1-1|
Note 1: Leg 1 featured two Roadblocks and no Detour. The team member who sat out the first Roadblock was required to perform the second one.
Note 2: Katie, Jennifer, and Daniel elected to quit the second Roadblock. Max & Katie and Caroline & Jennifer were issued 4-hour penalties for their forfeits that were applied at the start of the next Leg. However, Matt & Daniel were the last team to arrive and were instead eliminated from the Race.
Note 3: Jessica & John gave Dave & Connor their second Express Pass while travelling from Bora Bora to Christchurch for Leg 3. Dave & Connor later used it to bypass the Leg 3 Detour.
Note 4: All teams except for Dave & Connor were shown checking in at the beginning of Episode 4.
Note 5: Jessica & John were eliminated while in possession of the Express Pass earned in the first leg.
Note 6: Dave & Connor elected to withdraw from the Race at the start of Leg 5 due to an injury Dave sustained during Leg 2. They traveled to Hanoi with the other teams, but instead of running the Leg they instead were allowed to go directly to the Pit Stop to ask Phil to remove them from the Race, resulting in their elimination.
Note 7: Chuck & Wynona were the last team to arrive. However, due to Dave & Connor's earlier withdrawal from the competition, they were spared from elimination and instead checked in at 7th place.
Note 8: Caroline & Jennifer and Max & Katie both received speeding tickets and were required by Botswanan law to pay them that day at the local Maun police station before they continued racing.
Note 9: Chuck & Wynona initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for rolling their cheese wheels down the hill during the Switchback instead of using the provided sled as their clue instructed. Joey & Meghan checked in during the penalty period, dropping Chuck & Wynona to last place and resulting in their elimination.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Leg and EpisodesEdit
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (United States → French Polynesia)Edit
Title: "Business in the Front, Party in the Back" - Chuck
- Starting Line: Griffith Observatory , Los Angeles, California, United States
- Flight from Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles to Bora Bora Airport, Bora Bora, French Polynesia, France
- Bora Bora Airport, Bora Bora
- One team member must skydive from over 10,000 feet (3,000 m) above the island, while their partner must make their way to the landing location via water taxi. Once the team has reunited, they will receive their next clue.
- Eden Beach, Bora Bora
- The other team member had to search among 400 different sandcastles for a clue buried underneath. However, if they knocked over a castle, they would have to rebuild it before they could continue searching.
- After completing the Roadblock, teams must build a canoe then paddle a mile across the water to the pitstop in Motu Café.
- Motu Café, Bora Bora
- Jessica & John won two Express Passes (the other must be given to another team before the fourth leg of the race) for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (French Polynesia)Edit
Title: "Loose Lips Sink Ships" - John
- Hilton Bora Bora Nui, Motu Toopua
- They must find a chapel to get their next clue.
- Pick a Pearl: Teams have to go to open water to find a pearl harvest place, when they get some pearls, they must open it up to find two red pearls, then they must go to the pearl farmer to get their next clue.
- Take a Trunk: Teams must open up a trunk where they will make an underwater picnic to receive their next clue.
- Motu Tapu
- Teams must swim to a jet ski then travel to Motu Tapu.
- One team member must use stilts to kick a coconut to receive their next clue. However, if they fall off with the coconut still in place, they must restart at the starting line.
- Bates & Anthony won a trip for two to London, England for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (French Polynesia → New Zealand)Edit
Title: "James Bond Again" - Meghan
- Bora Bora Airport, Motu Mute to Christchurch International Airport, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Rakaia Gorge Bridge, Windwhistle
- Rev It Up: Teams must ride a vintage car and ride around the cones for not more than 80 seconds to receive their next clue.
- Reel It In: Teams must use a long reel and catch a fish that is 12 inches long. If they catch a fish that is 12 inches, they will receive their next clue.
- Mount Hutt Station, Methven
- One team member must choose a shepherd then must run through an obstacle course which they will be covered with mud, and feathers, and must retrieve twelve eggs as they run through the course. Once they have all twelve unbroken eggs, they will receive their next clue.
- →→ Terrace Downs, Windwhistle, Canterbury
- Although this was a double-length leg, Dave & Connor still won a trip for two to Bangkok, Thailand for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (New Zealand → Indonesia)Edit
Title: "I Love Monkeys" - Pam
- Flight from Christchurch International Airport, Christchurch to Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
- Ubud Monkey Forest, Ubud
- Teams must get a coconut and leave it for one of the crab-eating macaques to open. Once the coconut was cracked open, a "monkey expert" would retrieve the canister inside that held the Detour clue.
- Ayung River / Pura Desa Puseh Temple, Batuan
- Sandy Bottom: Teams must dredge volcanic sand from the bottom of the Ayung River and then transported it uphill 200 yards (180 m) to a brick maker. Once they filled their container to a designated line, the brick maker would give them their next clue.
- Fruity Top: Teams must prepare a traditional Balinese religious offering known as a gebogan, made from various arranged fruits. It would then be carried in a procession to to the Pura Desa Puseh Temple in Batuan where it would be blessed before it would be placed on an altar. Once complete, the local priest would give them their next clue.
- Uluwatu Surf Beach, Uluwatu
- One team member must go to Ketut's Surf Shop and search amongst several surfboards for one that had the image of someone they had all previously seen on the race: the Tahitian priest. After taking a surfboard, teams must reunite with their partner then meet Phil at the pit stop. However, Phil would only check them in at the pit stop if they had the correct surfboard, turning teams back if they were wrong.
- Dave & Connor won US$5,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Indonesia → Vietnam)Edit
Title: "Your Tan is Totally Cool" - Winnie
- Flight from Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar to Noi Bai International Airport, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Rạp Công nhân Theater Gallery 42, Hanoi
- One team member had to watch a patriotic Vietnamese song performance. At the end of the performance, a phrase ("Vinh quang thay thế hệ thanh niên chúng ta"; "Glory to our young generation") was displayed on the stage. Without being allowed to take any notes, racers had five minutes to search the nearby gallery for one of several political posters featuring the phrase. If they picked a poster with the correct quote, the judge would give them their next clue. If the racers did not find the correct quote within the allotted time, they had to watch the performance again before being allowed to continue searching.
- Công viên Thống Nhất, Hanoi
- Teams must participate in a traditional Vietnamese bamboo dance known as múa sạp to receive their next clue.
- Temple of Literature, Hanoi / Ngoc Son Temple and Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Make Your Move: Teams went to the Temple of Literature where they must set up a human chess board. Using a nearby cờ tướng board as a guide, teams had to find four human chess pieces that had symbols matching the pieces on the board and then set them up with four staffs in position on the human chess board. After putting each piece in the right position, the chess master would hand them their next clue.
- Make Your Meal: Teams must prepare Vietnam's national dish phở. After picking up two empty baskets and two baskets of live chickens at the Ngoc Son Temple, teams had to navigate the a street market of Hanoi to pick up the rest of the ingredients on a shopping list, all with specific weights and amounts, and then find a cooking station to cook the soup. After preparing two bowls of phở gà, the chef would do a taste test and then give them their next clue if it was prepared to his liking.
- Pam & Winnie U-turned Joey & Meghan, while Joey & Meghan U-turned Chuck & Wynona.
- National Museum of Vietnamese History, Hanoi
- Pam & Winnie won a ski trip for two to Whistler, Canada for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Vietnam → Botswana)Edit
Title: "Scorpion King Hunter" - Joey
- At the start of the leg, teams were only told they were to head to the city of Maun in the Kalahari Desert, leaving them to have to discover that they are to head to Botswana, otherwise they would not be allowed in the travel agency.
- Flight from Noi Bai International Airport, Hanoi to Maun Airport, Maun, Botswana
- Upon arrival in Maun, teams must sign up for several charter flights that would take them to the Xhumaga Airstrip in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park.
- Flight from Maun Airport, Maun to Xhumaga Airstrip, Makgadikgadi Pans National Park
- Old Xhumaga Road, Makgadikgadi Pans National Park
- One team member must join a group of Kalahari Bushmen who led them to a hole where they would have to dig up a scorpion. After one of the Bushmen put the scorpion into the jar that held Roadblock clue, he would lead the racer to a stump that held their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams took the three Bushmen that helped them on the task on a ride down the remainder of Old Xhumaga Road.
- Fire: Teams must travel with their Bushmen to a nearby village where they had to learn how to properly make fire using two sticks, zebra manure, and grass. Once they had a flame, they had to use it to light the elder Bushman's pipe in order to receive their next clue.
- Fowl: Teams must learn how to set up a trap in order to catch a guineafowl. After setting up the trap properly, teams had to act as a guineafowl and trip the trap before receiving their next clue.
- After the Detour, teams must travel with their partner Bushmen on foot to the pitstop.
- Meno A Kwena Safari Camp, Makgadikgadi Pans National Park
- Bates & Anthony won a trip for two to Phuket, Thailand for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Botswana)Edit
Title: "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow" - Wynona
- Boro Village - Makoro Poling Station, Maun
- For the Fast Forward, teams had the chance to water ski for over a mile on the waters of the Okavango Delta, home to dangerous Nile crocodiles, to win the Fast Forward clue.
- For the Roadblock, teams must transport two goats down river to a delivery point by using a traditional dugout canoe known as a makoro, then the team member performing the Roadblock must control the makoro via punting while their partner looked after the goats. Once the goats had been delivered and the teams returned to the start point, they would receive their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams took water taxis up the Thamalakane River and then took "safari taxis" to the Royal Tree Lodge Game Preserve where they could find their next clue.
- Royal Tree Lodge Game Preserve, Maun
- For the Speed Bump, Max & Katie must complete a traditional beaded skirt and then wear them while performing a ceremonial seduction dance in order to continue racing.
- Brains: Teams must go on a horseback safari and spot ten wooden cutouts representing animals found in Botswana (zebra, African buffalo, kudu, giraffe, meerkat, boomslang snake, leopard, warthog, ostrich, and hippopotamus with a heron). Teams then arranged a set of tiles marked with matching silhouettes to reflect the order of the cutouts they had seen to receive their next clue. The catch was that there was no tile representing the hippopotamus; the correct final tile was that of only the heron. If teams were wrong, they had to complete the safari again before being allowed another try at arranging the tiles.
- Brawn: Teams must fill a traditional sand sledge with firewood and then, using a carrot dangling from a stick, coax a team of donkeys to pull the sledge to a campsite over a 1⁄2-mile (0.80 km) away. Once the wood was unloaded from the sledge, teams would receive their next clue.
- Bates & Anthony won US$7,500 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Botswana → Switzerland)Edit
Title: "My Cheese Is Out of Control" - Caroline
- Flight from Maun Airport, Maun to Zurich Airport, Zurich, Switzerland
- Upon arrival at Zurich, teams must find a conductor wearing a red hat who would hand them their next clue.
- From Zurich Airport railway station, Zurich to Grindelwald railway station, Grindelwald
- Kirche Grindelwald, Grindelwald
- Teams must wait for an Alpine shepherd who would hand them their next clue.
- From Grindelwald railway station, Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg railway station, Kleine Scheidegg
- Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, Kleine Scheidegg
- Teams must pick a "Swiss rescue companion" (a St. Bernard dog) outside the Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, who they must take with to the Jungfraujoch railway station, Europe's highest railway station.
- From Kleine Scheidegg railway station, Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch railway station, Jungfraujoch
- Upon arrival at Jungfraujoch, teams must bring their St. Bernard to a mountain rescue guide before searching around the Sphinx Observatory for their next clue.
- Sphinx Observatory, Jungfraujoch
- From Jungfraujoch railway station, Jungfraujoch to Eigerwand railway station, Eiger
- North Face, Eiger
- One team member must travel through the north face of the Eiger where they would pick up their "climbing buddy": a Travelocity roaming gnome. Once they arrive back inside the observation deck, they could read their next clue located beneath their gnome.
- From Eigerwand railway station, Eiger to Grindelwald Grund railway station, Grund
- Upon arrival at Grund, teams must cross the Lütschine Brüggli Bridge following the sound of a Swiss alphorn to receive their next clue.
- Lütschine Brüggli Bridge, Grund
- Bodmi Snowboard and Ski School, Grindelwald
- Before heading to the pitstop, teams must use a traditional Grindelwald sled to bring a total of four 50-pound (23 kg) wheels of cheese downhill to a barn. Once they delivered all four wheels of cheese, the cheese meister would hand them their next clue. This was a Switchback to the task in the first leg of Season 14.
- Bates & Anthony won a trip for two to Bora Bora for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Switzerland → Germany)Edit
Title: "The Ultimate Fun House" - Joey
- From Interlaken Ost railway station, Interlaken to Basel SBB railway station, Basel
- Flight from EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg, Basel to Dresden Airport, Dresden, Germany
- Saxon State Ministry and Finance, Dresden
- Teams must enter a Ford Fusion and answer three questions asked on the MyFord Touch system, which would reveal their next clue once all three question were answered. The three questions were (1) Who said "tear down this wall"? (Ronald Reagan); (2) Who did he say it to? (Mikhail Gorbachev); and (3) Where did President Reagan say it? (the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin).
- Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
- Park Inn Berlin, Berlin
- Teams must BASE jump from the top of the building before receiving their next clue on the ground.
- Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin / Alexanderplatz and Buchstabenmuseum, Berlin
- Train Trials: Teams must assemble a train track, then must test a model train that would complete a lap of the track. Once the train made it around, they would receive their next clue.
- Front Follies: Teams must carry large neon alphabet letter signs while travelling from Alexanderplatz to the Buchstabenmuseum by foot. Once they arrived at the museum without any cracks, they would receive their next clue.
- Salon zur wilden Renate, Berlin
- One team member must answer the question "Who said 'Ich bin ein Berliner'"? (John F. Kennedy) before being able to enter and search through a labyrinth located in a nightclub around old East Berlin and to retrieve the next clue attached through the white wall down the labyrinth.
- Kurfürstendamm, Berlin
- Max & Katie won a 2013 Ford Fusion each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Germany → United Kingdom)Edit
Title: "Working Our Barrels Off" - Bates
- Flight from Berlin Tegel Airport, Berlin to Edinburgh Airport, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Gosford House, Longniddry, East Lothian
- One team member must dress in the uniform of the Royal Scots regiment and learn to play a drone on a set of bagpipes while marching with the Royal Scots pipers in Gosford House's Marble Room for two minutes with the satisfaction of the bagpipe instructor to receive their next clue.
- Craigmiller Castle, Edinburgh
- Teams must find the castle's fireplace to receive their next clue.
- Duddingston, Edinburgh
- For the Speed Bump, Mona & Beth must play a game of Skittles, a traditional British form of ten-pin bowling. Once they both managed to score a "floorer" (a strike), they could continue racing.
- Tasty Puddin': Teams must prepare haggis with oatmeal and ox intestine, in the presence of a Robert Burns impersonator, who recited Burns' poem "Address to a Haggis." Once they each prepared four portions of haggis and had a taste of one, they would receive the next clue.
- Whiskey Rollin': Teams must roll eight barrels of whiskey up a slope, then deliver them to a party. Once they have delivered all eight barrels to the party, a Scottish country dancer would hand them their next clue.
- Duddingston - Duddingston Kirk, Edinburgh
- Old Town - Niddry Street South, Edinburgh
- Max & Katie won US$10,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11/12 - Episode 11 (United Kingdom → United States)Edit
Title: "The Beacon of Hope" - contact to Caroline & Jennifer (non-racer)
- From Edinburgh Waverley railway station, Edinburgh to Stranraer railway station, Stranraer
- From Port of Stranraer, Stranraer to Port of Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Peatlands Park, County Armagh
- One team member must perform a bog snorkel, which involved dressing up in full snorkelling gear, including complete wet suit and flippers, cannonballed into a muddy pool, and then had to swim one 100-yard (91 m) lap in the bog within four minutes. Once they have finished in time, the bog snorkelling official would hand them their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams must figure out what the "thing with the ring" is, which is referring to the Beacon of Hope sculpture located in the Thanksgiving Square back in Belfast.
- Thanksgiving Square - Beacon of Hope, Belfast
- Titanic Quarter, Belfast
- Tray It: Teams must proceed to the building site of the RMS Titanic. Once there, they must prepare and serve the ship's final five-course dinner to the first class passengers to receive their next clue.
- Spray It: Teams must proceed to a skate park located in a warehouse, then spray paint a part of an uncompleted graffiti painting to receive their next clue.
- Ulster Hall, Belfast
- Max & Katie won a trip for two to the Dominican Republic for placing 1st in this leg.
- Port of Belfast, Belfast to Port of Liverpool, Liverpool, England
- From Liverpool South Parkway railway station, Liverpool to Euston railway station, London
- Euston Tap, London
- Teams must order a pint of beer to receive their next clue, which instated teams to fly to their final destination, Washington, D.C., their nation's capital.
- Flight from London Heathrow Airport, London to Washington Dulles International Airport, Washington, D.C., United States
- Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.
- Teams must find the spot where African-American Civil Rights Movement leader and activist Martin Luther King, Jr. said his "I Have a Dream" speech to receive their next clue. Their next clue instated them to find 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, the address of the Old Post Office Pavilion.
- Old Post Office Pavilion, Washington, D.C.
- Teams were brought to a photo store where both team members must pose for a photograph that appears that they are meeting U.S. President Barack Obama. Once they have taken their photograph, they will receive their photos and their next clue.
- Tidal Basin, Washington, D.C.
- One team member must bring a briefcase around the Basin, and must find one of fifty spies that would respond to their given code phrase with another supplied code phrase (Max & Katie: "Where can I get a good half-smoke with chili?" / "I've heard there's a great place on U Street."; Bates & Anthony: "I did not dress warm enough for this weather." / "Perhaps you would like to borrow my gloves."; Mona & Beth: "The cherry blossoms are beautiful here in April." / "I'll have to bring my mother next spring."). The team member would then swap briefcases with the spy, and the spy would give them a clue, based on their finishing placements in Legs 3, 4, and 5 (New Zealand, Indonesia, and Vietnam), which is the password of the briefcase that they must open to reveal their next clue. This was a Switchback to the Roadblock in leg 2 of the Family Edition.
- Nationals Park, Washington, D.C.
- One team member must ride a zip line across the stadium and toss a baseball, while their partner, dressed in a baseball costume, must catch it. Once the catch was successful, they would receive their next clue.
- Hains Point, Washington, D.C.
- One team member must enter a giant ball pit to find globes marked with the various countries they visited during the season. Teams must place the globes in order of the countries they visited in a special workstation to receive their final clue.
- Finish Line: Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon, Virginia
- Bates & Anthony won US$1,000,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- Matt & Daniel capsized on a boat race to the pit stop on Leg 1.
- Dave tore his achilles tendon on Leg 2, which caused Dave & Connor to withdraw from the race due to the needed ankle and foot surgery.
- First time visit to the French Polynesia.
- First season to have two Switchbacks in the same season.
- Final season to have the usage of tablets in the U-Turns.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24)
Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, Survivor: Wikia - Sardinia!