- Main article: The Amazing Race 20 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Rachel & Dave||Army Wife & Combat Pilot||1st||1st||2nd||4th||1stƒ||1st||2nd||1st||1st||1st||1st5||6-5|
|Art & JJ||Border Patrol Agents||3rd||2nd||1st||1stƒ||1st||2nd||3rd||3rd»||3rd||4th||2nd||2nd||6-5|
|Brendon & Rachel||PhD Student & Event Hostess||2nd||4th||2nd||6th||5th||4th||4th||4th«»||2nd||2nd||3rd||3rd||6-6|
|Vanessa & Ralph||Dating Divorcees||5th||7th||8th||4th||3rd||6th||5th||5th«||4th||3rd||4th||Eliminated 8th||5-5|
|Bopper & Mark||Best Friends||9th||3rd||4th||8th||6th||3rd||2nd||1st||5th||5thƒ3||Eliminated 7th||3-5|
|Nary & Jamie||Federal Agents||4th||6th||5th||5th||7th||5th||6th||6th||Eliminated 6th||4-3|
|Joey "Fitness" & Danny||Trainer & Club Promoter||10th||8th||3rd||3rd||2nd||7th||Eliminated 5th||3-3|
|Kerri & Stacy||Cousins||7th||5th||7th||7th||8th||Eliminated 4th||3-2|
|Elliot & Andrew||Twins||6th||9th||9th||Eliminated 3rd||1-2|
|Dave & Cherie||Married Clowns||8th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||1-1|
|Misa & Maiya||Sisters||11th||Eliminated 1st||0-1|
Note 1: Rachel & Dave elected to use the Express Pass to bypass the Detour in Leg 3.
Note 2: Rachel & Dave initially arrived 2nd, but were issued a 2-hour penalty for using up all of their allotted bottles at the Roadblock and not finishing the task. During this time, four teams checked in at the Pit Stop, dropping Rachel & Dave to 6th.
Note 3: Bopper & Mark completed the Fast Forward task, but were too far behind the other teams and they still came in last and were eliminated.
Note 4: Leg 12 had two Roadblocks and no Detour. The team member who sat out the first Roadblock was required to perform the second one.
Note 5: Rachel & Dave initially arrived 1st at the finish line, but they had accidentally skipped the second roadblock of the leg and were told to turn back to complete it. This did not affect their placement with they were able to complete the roadblock and came back with a proper 1st place finish.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Legs and EpisodesEdit
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (United States → Argentina)Edit
Title: "Tears of a Clown" – Cherie
- Starting Line: Bridlewood Winery, Santa Barbara County, California
- Flight from Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles to Martín Miguel de Güemes International Airport, Salta, Salta Province, Argentina
- Road Sign, Santa Barbara, Cafayate Department
- Aerodromo Gilberto Lavaque, Cafayate
- The teammate who did not choose to perform the Roadblock would go up in a plane to skydive, while the racer who did pick the Roadblock would have to drive to a designated location and then look for their teammate's landing site. Once the team was reunited, the jump master would give them their next clue
- Patios de Cafayate Winery, Cafayate
- Before heading to the Pit Stop, Teams had to make 120 Empanadas, 60 filled with meat and 60 with cheese, each type have different ways of being closed. Once teams had make the empanadas, the empanada champion would judge them, if they made it correctly, the judge will direct them to the Pit Stop.
- Rachel & Dave won the Express Pass for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Argentina)EditTitle: "You Know I'm Not as Smart as You" – Rachel (of Brendon & Rachel)
- Cafayate Town Square, Cafayate
- Upon arriving at the Cafayate Town Square, teams had to wait for a chasqui who would give them their next clue.
- Cafayata Town Square, Cafayate
- Boil My Water: Teams traveled to one of three nearby small villages and grabbed equipment from a pickup truck to build a solar kitchen. Once the oven was completed, they had to put a kettle full of water into the middle of the dish and wait for it to come to a boil and whistle before the solar master would give them their next clue.
- Light My Fire: Teams traveled to a nearby river where they had to gather 40 pieces of firewood and clay, load it onto a donkey, then deliver their goods 1 mile (1.6 km) to a local pottery workshop called Taller "El Obelisco" where the potter would give them their next clue.
- From Salta Bus Terminal, Salta to Retiro bus station, Buenos Aires
- Mercado de Hacienda de Liniers
- Teams had to go to a cattle auction and listen to the auctioneer give the total weight of the cattle in the pen. Teams then had to calculate the average weight of a head of cattle in the pen, without using a calculator, and give the number to a gaucho. If the auctioneer moved onto another pen before they got to the gaucho, they would have to start over with the next pen. Once they gave the correct answer, the gaucho would give the teams the next clue.
- Plaza Juan XXIII and Paseo Chabuca Granda - El Gomero, Recoleta, Buenos Aires
- Rachel & Dave won a trip for two to Grenada for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Argentina → Paraguay)EditTitle: "Bust Me Right In the Head with It" – Bopper
- Flight from Ministro Pistarini International Airport, Buenos Aires to Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, Asunción, Paraguay
- Metalúrgica Punta de Rieles metal shop, Asunción
- Teams had to search the metal equipment yard for their next clue.
- Metalúrgica Punta de Rieles, Asunción
- Stacked Up: Teams traveled the Mercado Central de Abasto, Paraguay's largest fruit market, and stacked watermelons into a 10-by-10 pyramid. Once the pyramid was complete, the fruit monger would give them their next clue.
- Strung Out: Teams traveled to an auditorium at the Universidad Nacional de Asunción where they had to properly string a harp, Paraguay's national instrument. Once the harp was properly strung and ready to be tuned, the harp conductor would give teams their next clue.
- Plaza de la Democracia, Asunción
- One team member had to perform a traditional Paraguayan bottle dance, performing a choreographic routine with a glass bottle on his or her head; if the bottle broke, racers would have to start over with a new bottle. Once complete, the leader of the dance would give the team their next clue. Teams were given a limited number of bottles, and if they broke all of them without being able to complete the task, they would incur a 2-hour penalty at the Pit Stop.
- Escalinata de Antequera, Asunción
- Art & JJ won a trip for two to the Atlantis Paradise Island in the Bahamas for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Paraguay → Italy)EditTitle: "Taste Your Salami" – Kerri
- Flight from Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, Asunción to Turin Caselle Airport, Turin, Piedmont, Italy
- Lingotto, Turin
- For the Fast Forward, One team member had to pilot a remote controlled helicopter and land it on a replica of the Lingotto building's helipad placed on a helmet worn by their teammate. Once the helicopter landed, that team would win the Fast Forward clue.
- In the Roadblock, One team member had to rappel down 120 feet (37 m) in the spiral ramps of the Lingotto building within a time limit of two minutes, stopping to retrieve a clue on the way down. If time expired, the team member would have to start all over.
- Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile, Turin
- To park at the Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile, teams had to use their provided car's active park feature.
- Inside the museum, teams had to find the 1916 Tin Lizzie for their next clue, which was a 2 cent euro coin. Teams were left to figure out that their next location was the building depicted on the coin: the Mole Antonelliana.
- Mole Antonelliana, Turin
- Clean That Statue: Teams had to go to L'Arte Marmi and use the provided equipment to completely and properly clean a marble statue. Once it was pristine, they would receive their next clue.
- Name That Salami: Teams had to go to the Gastronomia Salumeria to taste and memorize the names of fourteen different kinds of salami: piccante, cacciatorino, tartufo, mucca, toscano, 'nduja, aglio, cotto, cinghiale, finocchiona, felino, noci, barolo, and mandola. They then had to travel to the Piazza Vittorio Veneto and find the designated salami vendor to correctly identify and name all fourteen types of salamis they tasted. Once they got all 14 correct, the salumiere would give them their next clue.
- Piazza Castello, Turin
- Art & JJ won US$5,000 each (although they gave half of their money to Bopper & Mark who came in last without knowing it was a non-elimination leg for Bopper to pay the medical bills for his daughter who has respiratory problems.) for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Italy → Austria → Germany)EditTitle: "Uglier Than A Mud Rail Fence" – Bopper
- From Torino Porta Nuova railway station, Turin to Ehrwald train station, Ehrwald, Tyrol, Austria
- Gasthof zum Rassen, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany
- Bopper & Mark had to dress up in traditional Bavarian clothing, then learn how to yodel a specific tune by listening to a master yodeler. When the world champion was satisfied with their work, he would give teams their next clue.
- Gasthof zum Rassen, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Fairy Tale: Teams followed a trail of gingerbread, picking up pieces along the way, leading them to a witch's house in the town of Oberammergau. Once there, they used the pieces they picked up to make the roof to a gingerbread house. When they finished, the witch would give them their next clue.
- Champion Male: Teams had to travel to the Wetz-Stoa Stub'n restaurant in Unterammergau where they had to choose a beard enthusiast and style his beard to match a champion from the World Beard and Moustache Championships using the provided haircare products. Once complete, the judge (dressed as the Wicked Witch) would give them their next clue.
- Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau, Schwangau, Ostallgäu
- Upon completing the Detour, teams were told to "find the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty's castle", leaving them to figure out it referred to Neuschwanstein Castle, and not the nearby Hohenschwangau Castle which some teams got confused with. Teams then had to find Ludwig II of Bavaria's bedroom for their next clue.
- Bundesleistungszentrum, Füssen
- One team member had to use the Travelocity Roaming Gnome to participate in a game of ice stock sport, known in German as Eisstockschießen. Teams had to push the Roaming Gnome onto a white bullseye on the ice in order to receive their next clue.
- Landhannes Farm, Schwangau-Horn
- Art & JJ won a trip for two to Thailand for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Germany → Azerbaijan)EditTitle: "This Is Wicked Strange" – JJ
- Flight from Munich Airport, Munich to Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku, Azerbaijan
- Temple Ateshgah, Baku
- Teams traveled to a nearby market named Saman Ot Bazary where they would have to unload 150 bales of hay and stack them 10 bales long, 3 bales wide, and 5 bales high. Once complete, they would receive the Fast Forward clue.
- Occupational Training International, Baku
- One team member had to participate in a helicopter crash training exercise by donning safety gear and boarding a helicopter simulator that then submerged and inverted in a pool of water. Racers then had to evacuate the simulator through a window and swim to a lifeboat in the pool to retrieve their next clue.
- Old Baku - Toghrul Karabakh Carpet Shop, Baku
- Apples: Teams traveled to the fruit market where they had to unload and search through an Soviet-era car filled with a ton of apples for one apple marked with a Race Flag. Once they found the apple, they could trade it in for their next clue.
- Oil: Teams traveled to the Naftalan health spa where they had to clean crude oil off of a client, first by using a shoehorn and then by scrubbing them clean. Once done, the spa official would give them their next clue.
- Boulevard Esplanade Estakada, Baku
- Rachel & Dave won a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO for each team member for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Azerbaijan → Tanzania)Edit
Title: "I Didn't Make Her Cry" – Vanessa
- Flight from Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku to Kilimanjaro International Airport, Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
- Arusha Airstrip, Arusha, Arusha Region
- Upon arriving at Arusha Airstrip, teams signed up for one of three charter flights to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area the next morning.
- Charter flight from Arusha Airstrip, Arusha to Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Ngorongoro Crater, Ngorongoro District
- Upon landing in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, teams had to pick a driver and safari vehicle. They then had to ask local people for directions to the eastern edge of the Ngorongoro Crater where they would meet a Maasai warrior who would give them their next clue.
- Soneto Village, Ngorongoro Crater
- In both detours, teams were also required to ride bicycles to Soneto Village. Once they arrived, the Maasai villagers would dress them in traditional clothing.
- Marksmanship: Teams had to learn how to use a traditional Maasai weapon called a rungu to hit a clay target attached to a spinning bicycle wheel. Once each team member hit a target, teams were given their next clue.
- Courtship: Teams had to learn how to perform the traditional Maasai jumping ritual called the adumu. Teams had to jump up and down for one minute, a physically exhausting task as the village is located at an elevation of over 8,000 feet (2,400 m) above sea level, in order to receive their next clue.
- Upon completing the Detour, teams had to direct their driver to the Simba Campsite along the crater's rim.
- Simba Campsite, Ngorongoro Crater
- Before heading to the pitstop, teams had to set up a tent and campsite, including a bush shower, using all of the materials provided. Once done, they could proceed to the nearby Pit Stop, after which they would sleep in the campsite they had just built.
- Rachel & Dave won a trip for two to Costa Rica for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Tanzania)Edit
Title: "Let Them Drink Their Haterade" – Rachel (of Brendon & Rachel)
- From the Pitstart, teams traveled down into the Ngorongoro Crater on a safari to the Karatu district, where they were told to look for "Hillary Clington", without knowing that it was a roadside stand.
- Hillary Clington Shop, Karatu
- Water Supply: Teams had to pick up a cart of nine empty water jugs, wait in line at a well to fill up their jugs, then return them to the house they picked them up from to receive their next clue.
- Air Supply: Teams had to repair a flat tire on a bicycle by removing the tire and inner tube without removing the wheel from the bike, then finding the leak and patching it. They then had to reinstall the tube and tire, inflate the tire, and allow someone to take the bike for a test ride in order to receive their next clue.
- Jack Stelzer Pub, Karatu
- The Gem Gallery & Arts, Karatu
- Nary & Jamie had to properly set up a display stand by using a painting as a guide.
- Margaret's Farm, Mto wa Mbu, Monduli
- One team member had to dress in protective beekeeper's gear and harvest 500 grams (1.1 lb) of honeycomb from an African bee hive. Once complete, the beekeeper would give them their next clue.
- Lake Manyara
- Bopper & Mark won a trip for two to Hanalei Bey, Hawaii for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Tanzania → India)EditTitle: "Bollywood Travolta" – Art
- Flight from Kilimanjaro International Airport, Kilimanjaro to Cochin International Airport, Kochi, Kerala, India
- From Rajiv Gandhi Municipal Bus Terminal, Aluva to Sacred Heart College, Thevara
- Sacred Heart College, Thevara
- Teams participated in a Bollywood movie dance routine. After learning the dance moves, they would perform them with 30 extras for the film. Once the lead choreographer was pleased, he would give them their next clue.
- Indian Coffee House, Kochi
- Cricket: Each team member had to hit one ball bowled by a professional cricket player past a boundary, either along the ground or through the air. Once complete, the team captain would give them their next clue.
- Clutch It: Teams had to learn how to properly drive an auto rickshaw and transport passengers around a training course. Once both made it through the course without hitting any of the obstacles, their instructor would give them their next clue.
- Bolgatty Palace, Kochi
- Rachel & Dave won a trip for two to Saint Lucia for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (India)EditTitle: "I Need Hair to Be Pretty" – Rachel (of Brendon & Rachel)
- Daiva Vili Bhagvathi Kshetram, Chandiroor, Alappuzha
- Upon arriving at Daiva Vili Bhagvathi Kshetram, the head priest would bless teams before giving them their next clue.
- For their Speed Bump, Bopper & Mark had to paint a tiger's face on the belly of a Puli Kali dancer before receiving their next clue.
- For the Fast Forward, teams had to head to the Mutharamman Devasthanam Hindu temple where they could take part in a traditional good luck ritual: shaving their head. This was a Switchback to a Fast Forward in Season 7, when Uchenna & Joyce shaved their heads and ultimately won their season.
- Pattanacaud Coir Mats and Matting, Pattanakkad
- One team member had to spin 40 feet (12 m) of rope made from coconut husks, then spool 4 other rope bundles onto a spindle in order to receive their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams had to go to Fort Kochi where they had to look for a "barber under an ancient tree" for their next clue.
- Ancient Tree, Fort Kochi
- Pachyderm: Teams had to properly decorate an elephant with a headdress and golden ornaments, then transport 15 wheelbarrow loads of elephant manure to a nearby truck, before receiving their next clue.
- Pack a Box: Teams headed to a ginger processing center, collected 10 empty boxes, filled them with ginger that they sifted to measure to the right weight, then stenciled a label on each box. Once the distribution manager was pleased with their work, he would give them their next clue.
- Cheena vala Fishing Nets, Vypin
- Rachel & Dave won US$10,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 & 12 - Episode 11 (India → Japan → United States)Edit
Title: It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires" – Dave (of Rachel & Dave)
- Flight from Cochin International Airport, Kochi to Hiroshima Airport, Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
- Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima, Hatsukaichi
- Teams had to wait at the Itsukushima Shrine's torii for their next clue, which would be given to them by a farmer at sunrise.
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park - Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Hiroshima
- Teams observed a memorial service before they were given their next clue.
- From Hiroshima Station, Hiroshima to Shin-Ōsaka Station, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- From Hiroshima, teams were told to take the Shinkansen to Osaka.
- TV 8 Studio, Osaka
- Teams participated in a Japanese game show called "Bring That Chicken Home". Racers ran on a treadmill while trying to grab three rubber chickens hanging from the ceiling. After grabbing the chickens, racers had to jump on a platform at the end of the treadmill. Once complete, the host would give them their next clue.
- Umeda Sky Building - Floating Garden Observatory, Osaka
- Teams had to find two Windows 7 touchscreens that would play the Detour tasks on them.
- Bingo Shout-Out: Teams traveled to a conveyor belt sushi restaurant and participate in a game of bingo using pieces of sushi. The chef would call out pieces of sushi and teams would have to find the matching sushi with a letter attached and put it on their bingo card. Once they got five pieces in a row, they had to call out "Sushi" to let the chef check their tray. If correct, the team then had to eat the five winning pieces of sushi before the chef gave them their next clue.
- Photo Cut-Out: Teams had to convince locals in groups of three to pose behind three sumo wrestler cut-outs. Once teams got ten photos, they would be able to trade them in for their next clue.
- Osaka Castle, Osaka
- Rachel & Dave won a trip for two to New Zealand for placing 1st in this leg.
- Kansai International Airport, Osaka to Honolulu International Airport, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- Upon arriving in Honolulu, teams were only told to find the twins known as "Mauka" and "Makai", and left them to figure out that it referred to the twin Waterfront Towers in downtown Honolulu.
- Mauka and Makai Waterfront Towers, Honolulu
- Teams had to use mechanical ascenders to get to the top of Makai Tower. Once at the roof, teams then had to search for their next clue from the top of the tower. Once they identified the location of their next clue, they had to rappel face first (known as an "Angel Dive") down the other side of the tower to the ground.
- Sand Island, Honolulu
- Teams had to make a traditional Japanese treat brought to Hawaii known as shave ice. Using a katana, they would have to shave enough ice to fill a bucket to a given line. Once complete, actor Taylor Wily (who is known for playing Kamekona in another CBS show Hawaii Five-0) would give them their next clue.
- After the first Roadblock, teams had to find the baseball park on Sand Island where they would take a helicopter to their next location on Oahu's North Shore.
- Beach, North Shore of Oahu
- Teams joined in a Surf Rescue team. One teammate would drive a WaveRunner out into the surf, and the other would rescue a distressed swimmer out of the water. Once they got back to shore, they would receive their next clue.
- After the WaveRunner task, teams had to follow a marked path in the Hakipuʻu Valley to find their next clue.
- Coral Kingdom Gate, Hakipu'u Valley
- The other team member had to participate in traditional Hawaiian games. The first game was heʻe hōlua (land sledding) down a hill without falling over, and then a game of ʻulu maika, bowling a lava rock, traditionally used by Hawaiian warriors to break the ankles of enemies, through a goal on a field. Once both games were complete, teams were given their final clue.
- After the second Roadblock, teams rode an ATV to a dock where they had to paddle surf to the Finish Line on Secret Island.
- Finish Line: Secret Island, Oahu
- Rachel & Dave won US$1,000,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- Rachel & Dave winning their eighth leg and winning the race.
- Misa & Maiya overlooking Phil in the first leg.
- Joey "Fitness" & Danny lost the Fast Forward challenge to Rachel & Dave.
- Rachel & Dave missed the second Roadblock clue and accidentally went to the finish line and had to go back and fix their mistake.
- First time visits to Paraguay and Azerbaijan.
- For the first time ever, one team would be forced to fix their mistake before they could check in at the finish line. Rachel & Dave missed the Roadblock.
- First season which both teams survived a double U-Turn in the same leg (Brendon & Rachel and Vanessa & Ralph).
- Second time that the Finish Line has take place in Hawaii.
- Rachel & Dave have eight wins in one single season (tied Rovilson & Marc).
- Second season to not feature a parent-child team since The Amazing Race 11.
- First season to have a Speed Bump and a Fast Forward in a same leg (Leg 10).
- First season since Season 4 to have more than two Fast Forwards in the entire race.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24)