The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business is the eighteenth installment of The Amazing Race. It was confirmed on Nov. 5th, 2010 and is the first US season of The Amazing Race broadcast in High-Definition Format.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 18 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- All contestants have appeared on one previous season.
|Kisha & Jen|| Sisters|
|Flight Time & Big Easy|| Harlem Globetrotters|
|Gary & Mallory|| Father/Daughter|
|Zev & Justin|| Best Friends|
|Kent & Vyxsin|| Dating Goths|
|Jet & Cord|| Brothers/Cowboys|
|Ron & Christina|| Father/Daughter|
|Margie & Luke|| Mother/Son|
|Jaime & Cara|| Former NFL Cheerleaders|
|Mel & Mike|| Father/Son|
|Amanda & Kris|| Engaged|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Amanda & Kris's U-Turn penalty was incurred on Leg 2, as there was no Detour on Leg 1.
Note 2: By the end of Episode 1, Jet & Cord had not reached Phil at the mat.
Note 3: Flight Time & Big Easy were initially checked in 3rd; however, they were retroactively issued a 30-minute penalty when Ron & Christina told Phil that the Globetrotters had taken their fanny pack by accident and did not return it to them. Ron & Christina were moved up to 3rd, and Kisha & Jen, who checked in within the half-hour penalty period, were checked in for 4th, ultimately dropping the Globetrotters to 5th.
Note 4: By the end of Episode 4, neither Zev & Justin nor Kent & Vyxsin had checked in at the mat.
Note 5: Gary & Mallory used the Express Pass to bypass the Roadblock in Leg 5. Before using the Express Pass, Gary elected to perform the Roadblock, and this is reflected in the total Roadblock count.
Note 6: When Kent & Vyxsin finished Leg 4, they were issued a 30-minute penalty for failing to take the required flight from Tokyo-Narita to Kunming, to be served at the next Pit Stop. They arrived at the Leg 5 Pit Stop 4th; during their penalty Kisha & Jen checked in, dropping Kent & Vyxsin to 5th.
Note 7: Kent & Vyxsin initially arrived 3rd, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi instead of going on foot from the Roadblock to the Pit Stop as the clue had specified. Gary & Mallory and Zev & Justin, the only teams trailing Kent and Vyxsin at that point, checked in during the penalty time and Kent & Vyxsin were eliminated before the 30 minutes elapsed.
Note 8: Leg 12 had two Roadblocks and no Detour. The team member who sat out the first Roadblock was required to perform the second one.
- Click here for this season's Route Map
Legs and EpisodesEdit
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (United States → Australia)Edit
Title: "Head Down and Hold On (Australia)" – Jaime & Cara's sailing instructor (non-racer)
- Starting Line: San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm, Palm Springs, California
- Teams had to search a field of paper airplanes to find one with "Qantas" written on it using the clue: "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services", then return the airplane to Phil in exchange for their tickets to Sydney. The first 8 teams would be on the 1st flight, the rest on a 2nd flight, with the last team receiving an automatic U-Turn for the race's first Detour
- Flight from Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California to Sydney Airport, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Circular Quay/Sydney Ferries to Manly Wharf, Manly
- Oceanworld Manly
- One team member must scuba dive and search for a compass hidden on the floor of a large shark tank, then use the compass to decipher a series of nautical flags which tell them the next location and catchphrase which they must tell the Commodore ("I am between the Devil and the deep blue sea")
- Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club
- Sail 16 Foot Skiff: Join a skiff crew and sail along a course to retrieve the next clue
- →→ Shelly Beach, Manly
- Gary & Mallory won the Express Pass for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (Australia)Edit
Title: "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life (Outback)" - Kisha
- Sydney Town Hall, Sydney
- Teams had to find a statue of an anchor outside Sydney Town Hall using the clue "To Sail to Stop"; there teams had to sign up to one of two charter flights
- Flight from Sydney Airport, Sydney, New South Wales to Broken Hill Airport, Broken Hill, New South Wales
- The Living Desert, Broken Hill
- Spirit World: Teams had use traditional materials to make a stone mosaic that matched a shown example, then they had to perform a dance upon the mosaic intended to raise ancestral spirits
- Natural World: Teams had to create Aboriginal territory markers by mixing a natural dye with water and use their mouths to spray the mixture onto a stencil to create four images
- Central Football Club, Broken Hill
- Teams had to find the "Home of the Magpies"; while there, teams had to dress as kangaroos and find the corner of Mercury (Hg) and Bismuth (Bi) streets using a periodic table of elements with the symbols Hg and Bi highlighted
- Junction Mine, Broken Hill
- Zev & Justin won a trip for two to Cancun, Mexico for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Australia → Japan)Edit
Title: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently (Japan)" - Christina
- Flight from Broken Hill Station, Broken Hill to the Central Railway Station, Sydney via Indian Pacific
- From Sydney Airport, Sydney to Narita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan
- Rotating Parking Garage, Shibuya, Tokyo
- Yabusame Dojo, Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Team members must dress as samurai and learn the proper Yabusame Ritual and learn techniques for shooting a bow and arrow while seated on a revolving wooden horse.
- Daiyūzan Station – Kintarō Statue, Minamiashigara
- Prayer of Purity: teams take part in a Shinto cleansing ritual by donning traditional clothing, learning a prayer, and standing under a cascading waterfall of 45°F for one minute
- Frog of Luck: teams strip down, enter a large mud pit and while being pelted with mud, search for a toy frog in the mud
- Commodore Perry Monument, Kurihama, Yokosuka
- Zev & Justin won a trip for two to the Hotel Punta Islita, Costa Rica for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Japan → China)Edit
Title: "This is the Most Stupid Day Ever (Lijiang, China)" - Vyxsin
- Flight from Narita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan to Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, Kunming, Yunnan, China
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, Kunming
- Teams had to saddle a yak correctly and ride across a river
- Spruce Meadow, Yúnshāpíng, Kunming
- Teams had to search for charms that depicted the twelve signs of Chinese zodiac, collect all twelve then attach them to a mobile in the correct order
- Old Town of Lijiang
- Teams had to to verbalize their zodiac sign and place a written wish into a slot on a prayer wheel that matched the symbol they called out
- Old Town of Lijiang
- Hammer: teams went to a candy store and used mallets to pound liquid candy to the correct consistency, then cut and box the candy
- Horn: teams had to take a large ceremonial horn and lead a group of dancers to Wencheng Palace
- →→ Eternal Tower on Lion Hill, Lijiang
- Margie & Luke won a trip for two to Aruba for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (China)Edit
Title: "Don't Ruin the Basketball Game (Kunming, China)" - Mallory
- From Lijiang Train Station, Lijiang to Kunming Railway Station, Kunming
- Dounan Flower Market, Kunming
- Golden Horse and Jade Cock Memorial Archway, Kunming
- Honor the Past: Teams must watch a traditional Tibetan performance and, without taking notes, place dolls representing the performers in the same order in which they appeared on stage.
- Embrace the Future: Teams must properly carry the parts of a solar water heating system to the the roof of a building and correctly install it
- Chinese Minority Heritage Center, Kunming
- Stone Forest, Shilin Yi Autonomous County
- One team member had to a correctly put together a life-size model of a dinosaur; if the model was unsound, a paleontologist could order them to stop and redo the model
- Green Lake Park, Kunming
- Jet & Cord won US$5,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (China → India)Edit
Title: "I Feel Like a Monkey in a Circus Parade (Kolkata, India)" - Gary
- Jin Fu Yi Zhan Tea Shop, Kunming
- Teams took part in a Chinese tea tasting ceremony where they were given a taste of the papaya-and-mango-infused tea that, unbeknownst to them at the time, would be featured in the upcoming Roadblock in Kolkata. Along with their next clue, they were given a brick of tea leaves that would also be used in the Roadblock.
- Flight from Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, Kunming, China to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Kolkata Town Hall, Kolkata
- One team member had to take part in an Indian tea tasting ceremony. First, they had to take a papaya, a mango, and the brick of tea the teams received before leaving Kunming to the tea auctioneer. Then, they had to search among several hundred tea cups for one that held the same papaya-and-mango-infused tea that they tasted in China. Once they got the right tea, the auctioneer would give them their next clue.
- Tiwari Tea Stall, Thakur Bari, Jorasanko
- Hindu Art: Teams traveled to the Rakhal Paul and Sons statue shop where they had to paint and then dress a statue of the Hindu god Ganesha. Once it was complete, they would receive their next clue.
- Bengali Literature: Teams traveled to the Dey's Publishing house and picked up eight bundles of the children's book Introduction to the Bengali Alphabet. They then got into a rickshaw school bus and traveled across town to the Victoria Institution High School and College and searched the grounds for the offices of the headmistress of the primary school where they would deliver the books and receive their next clue.
- Fountain of Joy & Victoria Memorial, Maidan, Kolkata
- Gary & Mallory won dinner for two, featuring Bollywood-inspired entertainment, and 1,000,000 Indian Rupee (approx US$20,000) for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (India)Edit
Title: "You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)" - Cord
- Flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Varanasi Airport, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Tonga Stand, Varanasi
- One team member had to search the streets six different Sadhus; each had one of six pieces of a phrase the racer had to decipher (Once you're over the hill you pick up speed); once the racer had all six fragments of the phrase, he/she had read the phrase to the another sadhu in exchange for the next clue.
- Swaminath Akhara, Tulsi Ghat, Varanasi
- Feed the Fire: Teams travelled to Sakka Ghat to the home of a milkman where they had to make fifty patties made from water buffalo manure and slap them onto a wall to dry; then start a fire using dried patties in order to boil milk for local children
- Feed the Buffalo: Teams had to take a water taxi to pick up two bales of hay from an island in the Ganges then deliver it to an address in Varanasi near the Ksameshwar Ghat written on the hay bale
- Ramnagar Fort, Ramnagar
- Flight Time & Big Easy won a trip for two to Hawaii for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (India → Austria)Edit
Title: "I Cannot Deal With Your Psycho Behavior (Austria)" - Vyxsin
- Flight from Varanasi Airport, Varanasi to Vienna International Airport, Vienna, Austria
- Teams went to an airport parking garage, chose a 2012 Ford Focus and used the rearview camera system to identify a clue written on the pavement
- Schloss Schallaburg, Schollach
- Teams were given a book stamped with "Librarian Prunksaal/Österreichische Nationalbibliothek" which indicated their next destination
- Austrian National Library – Prunksaal, Vienna
- Long Hard Walk: Teams went to the Sigmund Freud Museum to pick up a couch and deliver it one mile to Freud's former office at the University of Vienna
- Quick and Easy Meal: Teams had to go to the Wiener Riesenrad ferris wheel, pick up two traditional Austrian meals (Wiener Schnitzel, Sauerkraut, and Sachertorte), board the ferris wheel and consume both meals before the wheel completed one revolution (about 12 minutes)
- Sternbräu Restaurant, Salzburg, Salzburg
- One team member had to select an instructor, don a traditional chimney sweep uniform, and clean a chimney three times with a weighted rope
- Villa Trapp, Salzburg
- Zev & Justin won two 2012 Ford Focus for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Austria → Liechenstein → Switzerland)Edit
Title: "We're Good American People (Switzerland)" – Zev
- From Salzburg Hauptbahnhof to Feldkirch, Vorarlberg
- Schaanwald, Liechtenstein
- One team member had to use an odometer and a VéloSoleX motorized bicycle to measure the entire length of the country of Liechtenstein, riding from Schaanwald to Balzers. At the end, they would meet up with former Winter Olympics alpine ski racer Marco Büchel who they would have to give the distance that they traveled: 22 km. If correct, Büchel would direct racers to Castle Gutenberg (German) where they would meet up with their teammate and read the next clue. If they were wrong, they would have to travel back to Schaanwald and start over.
- Schaanwald, Liechtenstein
- Gary & Mallory had to prepare the right mixture of gasoline and oil to power their bicycle for the Roadblock. They had to measure 25 parts gasoline to 1 part of oil, and had to figure out that the mixture required 2 liters of gasoline.
- Castle Gutenberg
- From Balzers to Sargans, Sarganserland, St. Gallen, Switzerland
- From Sargans to Zermatt, Visp, Valais
- Zermatt railway station
- Cheese: Teams traveled to the Restaurant Walliserkanne Zermatt where they would have to finish an entire pot worth of cheese fondue. Once the pot was empty, the restaurateur would give them an empty fondue pot with the name of the next location printed on the inside.
- Wheeze: Teams had to dress up as bellhops and deliver a total of 20 pieces of luggage to at least five hotels in Zermatt, where the manager would give them a receipt tag in return
- Hinterdorf near the Inderbinen-Brunnen, Zermatt
- Bergrestaurant-Moos, Zermatt
- Zev & Justin won a trip for two to Curaçao for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Switzerland)Edit
Title: "Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen (Switzerland)" – Zev
- Air Zermatt Rescue Helicopter Port, Zermatt
- Search: teams used beacons to locate a dummy buried in the snow, then had to dig the dummy out of the snow
- Rescue: teams used a hoist to rescue a live person trapped in a crevasse; one team member used the hoist to lower the other team mate into the crevasse, then lift both the team mate and the trapped person to the surface
- From Riffelalp to Zermatt (via Gornergratbahn)
- Le Petit Cervin, Zermatt
- One team member had to make a Travelocity Roaming Gnome out of chocolate by painting the inside of a chocolate mold the correct color, filling the mold with chocolate, then chilling the completed mold outside in the snow for 30 minutes
- Swiss Cabin, Mürini & Mittagstadel, Zermatt
- Flight Time & Big Easy won a trip for two to the Cook Islands for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 11 (Switzerland → Brazil)Edit
Title: "This is Where it Ends (Brazil & Florida)"- Justin
- From Zermatt Railway Station, Zermatt to Zürich Hauptbahnhof, Zurich
- Flight from Zurich Airport, Zurich to Galeão International Airport, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- From Carioca Aqueduct, Rio de Janeiro to Escadaria Selarón, Santa Teresa
- Teams had to search the steps for a Route Info tile that contained the next clue
- Largo de São Francisco de Paula, Rio de Janeiro
- One team member had to put on a costume, lean the samba and lead dancers in a carnival parade
- Centro de Orientação Profissional Salon, Copacabana
- Teams had to participate in a Brazilian wax session for 15 minutes
- Copacabana Beach
- On the Rocks: Teams went to Espacio X Bar, learned to make caipirinhas, and then had to make 100 according to the recipe
- On the Beach: Teams took an umbrella full of bikinis and had to sell R$100 (~US$60) worth of them to beachgoers and take a photograph of the purchaser in the bikini
- Niterói Contemprary Art Museum, Niterói
- Gary & Mallory won a cruise for two on the Mediterranean Sea with visits to Rome and Casablanca for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 12 - Episode 12 (Brazil → United States)Edit
Title: "This is Where it Ends (Brazil & Florida)"- Justin
- Flight from Galeão International Airport, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Miami International Airport, Miami, Florida, USA
- Rickenbacker Marina, Virginia Key
- One team member had to use a forklift to move a boat to drydock without damaging it
- Jules' Undersea Lodge, Key Largo
- One team member had to use a personal submarine to search for a clue in the lagoon of the Jules' Undersea Lodge for one of several floating treasure chests
- The clue gave teams a riddle to solve; the solution was the next route marker (go to the Sea Camp near a mile marker on Big Pine Key, subtract 4 from 33)
- Sea Camp, U.S. 1 Mile Marker 29, Big Pine Key
- Teams had to cross a shallow part of the Atlantic Ocean to Horseshoe Island then find a clue under the tallest tree on the island
- Horseshoe Island to Galway Bay Mobile Home Park, Marathon
- Team members had to set up a trailer exactly as pictured in a brochure
- Finish Line: Old Seven Mile Bridge to Pigeon Key (Pigeon Key Historic District)
- Teams had to ride large tricycles along the bridge then run down on to the island to the Finish Line
- Kisha & Jen won US$1,000,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- The teams who were expected to land in Australia first got delayed due to a medical emergency of a sick passenger.
- In the second leg, every team had to dress up as kangaroos while searching for their next clue.
- Luke breaking down at the tea-tasting Roadblock in Leg 6.
- Ron becoming lost at the Roadblock in Leg 7.
- Kent & Vyxsin incurring a 30-minute penalty misreading their clue by taking a taxi to the pit stop instead of traveling by foot.
- First season to have an automatic U-Turn.
- No one is sent to the Elimination Station after the first episode.
- First season to have Episode 1 end with a cliffhanger.
- Most parent/child teams in a single season, 4.
- First season to have only one Speed Bump in entire race.
- Second time the Finish Line has been in Florida.
- Second season to not have a Fast Forward in the race course (after The Amazing Race 14, which the Fast Forward went unaired).
- First time the whole series has back-to-back female teams winning the race (Nat & Kat from Season 17 and Kisha & Jen from this season).
- First time there are back-to-back Roadblocks in the final leg.
- Second Season got back-to-back Roadblocks in one leg (leg 12) (after leg 10 of The Amazing Race 16) .
- First Season got no-rest-time-period legs (leg 1 and 4) .
- Second season to have a Speed Bump and a U-Turn in the same leg (leg 9) (after leg 8 of The Amazing Race 12) .
- Most number of team been U-turn in a season, 4 .
- First season to have same-sex African-American teams to come in 1st and 2nd respectively.
- Lowest number of couples in love, two.
- Second season to have no one eliminated at the pit stop in the first leg (after The Amazing Race 15).
- First season to not feature a married team.
- First season that no one is eliminated in the first leg.
- From 1st place to 4th place, the number the legs the team won became their placement.
- The first four teams eliminated were all from the same season, Season 14. Ironically, Kisha & Jen, the only surviving Season 14 team, ended up winning.
- Many of the teams in Unfinished Business were eliminated in a similar fashion to their original season: Amanda & Kris being U-turned in their original season, and U-turned again this season; Luke stumbling at the Roadblock in his original season, and again this season, costing his team; one team member from Ron & Christina messing up at a crucial Roadblock in both seasons; Gary & Mallory got trouble with direction at the early of the leg in both season, etc.
- All the teams the made it to the final leg in their previous race were eliminated back-to-back.
Get this season on iTunes
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)