The Amazing Race 17 is the seventeenth installment of The Amazing Race. It premiered on Sunday, September 26, 2010 with a 90-minute episode at 8:30pm e/p on CBS.
Applications for this season were due on February 4, 2010. Interviews were conducted in the Spring of 2010.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 17 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant(s) appeared on more than one season.
|Nat & Kat||Doctors||2nd||7th||8th||1st||1stƒ||4th||1st||5th||3rd»||1st||3rd||1st||6-5|
|Brook & Claire||Home Shopping Hosts||4th||1st||6th||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd||4th||4th«||3rd||2nd10||2nd||7-5|
|Jill & Thomas||Dating||1st||5th||7th||5th>3||3rd||1st||5th||2nd7||1st»||2nd||1st||3rd||5-7|
|Nick & Vicki||Dating||10th||8th||5th||6th||6th||7th4||3rd||3rd||2nd||4th9||4th11||Eliminated 8th||6-4|
|Chad & Stephanie|| Engaged|
Newly Dating (legs 1-7)6
|Gary & Mallory*||Father/Daughter||6th||9th||2nd||2nd||2nd||6th||4th||6th8||Eliminated 6th||4-4|
|Michael & Kevin||Father/Son||7th||3rd||9th||4th||4th||3rd||7th5||Eliminated 5th||3-4|
|Katie & Rachel||Beach Volleyball Partners||5th||2nd||4th||8th||8th||Eliminated 4th||3-2|
|Connor & Jonathan||Ivy League A Cappella Singers||3rd||6th||1st||9th||Eliminated 3rd||2-2|
|Andie & Jenna||Birth Mom/Daughter||9th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||0-2|
|Ron & Tony||Best Friends||11th1||Eliminated 1st||12-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Ron & Tony incurred a 24-hour penalty for quitting the coracle task. However, since Ron & Tony arrived at the Pit Stop in last place, they were eliminated without the penalty being applied.
Note 2: While neither Ron nor Tony was shown performing the Roadblock in Leg 1, the official website lists Ron as the team member who completed the task.
Note 3: Jill & Thomas used the Express Pass to bypass the Detour in Leg 4.
Note 4: While Nick & Vicki came in last in a non-elimination leg, they did not face a Speed Bump in the following leg. Post-race interviews revealed that the Speed Bump was waived, and that everyone's placement in that leg was equalized at the Detour, in compensation for various production difficulties in the previous leg affecting all of the teams.
Note 5: Chad & Stephanie initially arrived 6th without their bags and having failed to pay the taxi that drove them to the Pit Stop. They were required to return to their taxi, pay their fare, and retrieve their bags before being allowed to check in. During this time, Michael & Kevin arrived, but were issued two 30-minute penalties: one for hiring a taxi to lead them from Bank Bridge to 1 Vladimirsky Prospekt Tower, and another for taking a taxi from the Tower to the Church of the Savior on Blood, both of which were explicitly prohibited by two clues. Chad & Stephanie returned during Michael & Kevin's penalty time, but were also assessed a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi to Church of the Savior on Blood when the clue instructed them to travel on foot. Since they were the only two teams left to check in at that point, and Michael & Kevin had more than 30 minutes remaining on their penalty time, Chad & Stephanie were allowed to check in immediately for a 6th place finish, with their penalty time applied to the start of the next leg. Michael & Kevin were then checked in and eliminated.
Note 6: Chad & Stephanie left the Pit Stop in Saint Petersburg over 2 hours late because they accidentally overslept. This did not affect their overall placement in Leg 8 since they were the last to depart. During Leg 8, Chad proposed to Stephanie, who accepted. Their relationship title was changed from "Newly Dating" to "Engaged".
Note 7: Jill & Thomas initially arrived 1st, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for paying a taxi driver to lead them to the Pit Stop, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Chad & Stephanie checked in for a 1st-place finish during their penalty, dropping Jill & Thomas to 2nd.
Note 8: Gary & Mallory incurred a 30-minute penalty for possessing and using maps which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Already in last place, they were eliminated without the penalty being applied.
Note 9: Nick & Vicki elected to forfeit the Detour because they were too exhausted to continue. They arrived at the Pit Stop last, but were notified that it was a non-elimination leg. The 6-hour penalty they would have taken from the Detour was instead applied to their starting time in Leg 11.
Note 10: Brook & Claire initially arrived 1st, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi to their Detour location when the clue instructed teams to travel either on foot or take the subway. Jill & Thomas checked in for a 1st-place finish during their penalty, dropping Brook & Claire to 2nd.
Note 11: Nick & Vicki's departure time (which was approximately 11:45 pm) was not shown in Leg 11, because they departed at least 6 hours later than Brook & Claire's departure, which was at 5:26 pm, due to the penalty applied to their starting time in that leg (see note 8), and they fell far behind . Also, by the time they made it to the Seung-il Bridge in Cheorwon, all the other teams had already checked in at the Pit Stop and it had become too dark for them to safely perform some of the tasks. During the broadcast of the leg, they were only shown performing the Speed Bump and then immediately checking in at the Pit Stop to be eliminated. In interviews after the episode was broadcast, they revealed that they did the Detour as well.
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (United States → England, UK)Edit
Title: "They Don't Call It The Amazing Race For Nothin!" –-Brook
- Starting Line: Eastern Point Yacht Club, Gloucester, Massachusetts
- Flight from Logan International Airport, Boston, Massachusetts to London Heathrow Airport, London, England
- Stonehenge, Amesbury, Wiltshire
- Eastnor Castle, Ledbury, Herefordshire
- One team member traveled on horseback and used a big slingshot to hurl melons and knock a suit of armor down
- Eastnor Castle, Ledbury, Herefordshire
- Teams climbed a ladder up a the castle wall, retrieve a medieval flag from the battlements, cross water in a small boat, then bring their flag to a knight for the next clue
- Eastnor Castle, Ledbury, Herefordshire
- Jill & Thomas won an Express Pass for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station Video: Ron & Tony
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (England, UK → Ghana)Edit
Title: ""A Kiss Saves The Day" -- Brook
- London Heathrow Airport, London, England to Kotoka International Airport, Accra, Ghana
- Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park
- Makola Market
- A team member had to sell sunglasses and make GH₵15 (~US$10) without selling a any pair for less than GH₵3
- Peace Motor Spare Parts:
- Tune In: teams had to travel to Adom Electronics, get a tv antenna, take it to a marked house and install it to the residents' satisfaction
- Check Out: teams had to visit Emmanuel's Woodshop, pick up a fantasy coffin and deliver it to a showroom across town
- Kaneshie Market
- Brook & Claire won a trip for two to Hawaii for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station Video: Andie & Jenna
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Ghana)Edit
Title: "In Phil We Trust" -- Connor
- Akotoku Boxing Academy, Jamestown: one team member had to perform a boxing workout routine by correctly wrapping their hands, punch a punching bag for one minute and jump rope for one minute to get the next clue
- Supply Depot, Dodowa, Accra: teams had to load two wheelbarrows with supplies and deliver them to the Aesbi D/A Primary School
- Asebi D/A Primary School, Dodowa, Accra: teams had to join a class and locate Ghana on a map
- Asebi D/A Primary School, Dodowa, Accra
- Bicycle Parts: Each team member had to use a stick to roll a bicycle wheel down a soccer field and back
- Language Arts: teams chose had to choose a proverb with highlighted phrases, translate the phrases into a series of Adinkra symbols and then find the series of symbols in a large puzzle
- Home of Awusa Ntso, Dodowa, Accra
- Connor & Jonathan won $5000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station Video: Non-Elimination
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Ghana → Sweden)Edit
Title: "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads." -- Kevin
- Kotoka International Airport, Accra, Ghana to Kiruna Airport, Kiruna, Lappland, Sweden
- Icehotel, Jukkasjärvi
- Michael & Kevin each had to sit for 10 minutes on chairs made of blocks of ice before continuing
- Fjellborg's Lodge, Poikkijärv
- One team member had to run a pack of sled dogs along a training course, capture five colored flags along the way, trade the flags for pelts and return to the start to get their next clue; if a team member, missed any flags, the team member had to complete a penalty lap for each flag missed
- Vassijaure Train Station, Riksgränsen, Sweden
- Sleds: teams had to race down a mountain course on TechSleds in less time than 1 minute and 58 seconds, repeating the course if they went over the allotted time
- Beds: teams had to build a goahti, a traditional dwelling, and furnish it to the satisfaction of a tribal elder
- Riksgränsen, on the border of Sweden and Norway
- Nat & Kat won a trip for two to Belize for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station Video: Connor & Jonathon
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (Sweden → Norway)Edit
Title: "Tastes Like a Million Dollars" -- Kat
- Fagernesfjellet Mountain, Narvik, Nordland, Norway
- Skjomen Bridge, Narvik
- Strength, stamina, and guts: you've got to have all three.: one team member had to rappel off the bridge, signal a boat to get the next clue, then climb back up to the bridge using a mechanical ascender
- Harvika, Narvik
- Boat: teams had to ride a bike along a course; at the end, teams had to retrieve a color and combination that matched their bikes, then return to the start and unlock their combination lock to retrieve their next clue
- Bike: using a map, teams had to instruct a boat captain to navigate to a marked locations where teams had to disembark, and deliver two fish and a chainsaw to a resident to get the next clue
- Ankenes Marina, Narvik
- Nat & Kat won a trip for two to Costa Rica for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station Video: Katie & Rachel
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (Norway → Russia)Edit
Title: "Run, Babushka, Run" -- Vicki
- Narvik Station, Narvik to Stockholm Central Station, Stockholm, Sweden
- Stockholm-Arlanda Airport, Stockholm, Sweden to Pulkovo Airport, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Vasilievsky Island - Rostral Columns, Saint Petersburg
- Classical Music: Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace- teams listened to three musical compositions (Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, and Tchaikovsky's Troika) playing on gramophones, then went into a hall and had to identify the pianists who were playing the same compositions
- Classic Cinema: teams travelled to a famous soundstage at Lenfilm and had to search many filmstrips to find a clip from the film playing on a large screen (Sergei Eisenstein's October)
- The next clue was either a film canister or a record; each had a picture of the next route marker on it
- Palace Square, Saint Petersburg
- Neighborhood store, Alexandrovskaya, Saint Petersburg
- Who's ready for a Russian Drag Race?: one team member had to dress up like a Babushka, get a wheelbarrow, cow manure and a sack of potatoes, then return to the Babushkas and plant the potatoes
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral, Saint Petersburg
- Jill & Thomas won a trip two to São Paulo, Brazil for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station: Via Russia
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Russia)Edit
Title: "I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong" -– Brook
- Avtovo Circus, Saint Petersburg
- Avtovo Circus
- Circus Band: Teams must learn to play a Russian folk song using an accordion
- Circus Clown: Teams must learn to spin plates on sticks be able to spin 10 of them without any one falling
- Bank Bridge
- 1 Vladimirsky Prospekt Tower
- Church of the Savior on Blood
- Gorodki Courts, Peter and Paul Fortress
- Between the two of you, who is the real player?: teams had to clear three gorodki pin formations before the pins get reset
- Naryshkin Bastion, Peter and Paul Fortress, Saint Petersburg
- Nat & Kat won $5,000 each for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station: Michael & Kevin
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Russia → Oman)Edit
Title: "Ali Baba In A Suit" -- Nick
- Pulkovo Airport, Saint Petersburg, Russia to Muscat International Airport, Muscat, Oman
- Riyam Park, Burj Al Mubkharah, Muscat
- Jebel Shams, Al Hamra
- 'Who wants to add a little magic to their life: one team member rappelled down the side of Jebel Shams; at the bottom were hundreds of oil lamps only a few of which contained Aladdin's magic ring; once the team member found a ring, the team received the next clue
- Stack of Books, Nizwa:
- Water Table: teams had to pump water from a well into a water truck, drive with the truck into town and deliver the water to a house in the neighborhood of Aswat Al Eid
- Wedding Table: team has to travel to a market, purchase 25 chickens and other ingredients, then serve the traditional Omani dish of Maqbous to a bride and groom
- Muttrah Souq, Muttrah
- Al Alam Palace, Muscat
- Chad & Stephanie won a trip for two to Belize for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station: Gary & Mallory
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (Oman → Bangladesh)Edit
Title: "There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets" -– Jill
- Muscat International Airport, Muscat, Oman to Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Sundarban Square Supermarket
- teams had to press sugarcane and one team member had to drink the glass of sugarcane juice
- Sundarban Square Supermarket
- Balanced Meal: teams had to pick up 30 tiffin carriers and deliver them by boat to workers on another boat in the harbor; once at the second boat, teams lifted the meals into the boat and return to shore with 10 empty carriers
- Balanced Bricks: teams had load 100 bricks from a barge and deliver them to a shop in the nearby market
- Sadarghat: Jill & Thomas U-Turned Brook & Claire, then Nat & Kat U-Turned Chad & Stephanie
- Tekka Mistiri Rickshaw Garage, Nazira Bazaar
- one team member had to properly assembly a rickshaw
- Lalbagh Fort, Dhaka
- Jill & Thomas won $15,000 Discover gift card for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station: Chad & Stephanie
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (Bangladesh → Hong Kong, China)Edit
Title: "I Hate Chinese Food" -– Vicki
- Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka, Bangladesh to Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, China
- Central Piers, Central Hong Kong to Cheung Chau Ferry Pier, Cheung Chau, Islands District
- Cheung Po Tsai Cave, Cheung Chau
- Cheung Chau Ferry Pier, Cheung Chau to Kowloon Public Pier, Kowloon
- Majesty Chinese Restaurant, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Who's feeling peckish?: using a pair of chopsticks, one team member had to identify one of five dishes of fake food from an entire buffet; if the team member picked up a real piece of food, he/she had to eat it
- Statue of Bruce Lee, Avenue of Stars, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Ding Ding: teams had to ride the local tram and look for three clues to the location of the Pit Stop
- Sampan: teams went to Jumbo Kingdom's dock, collected a pair of parakeets in a birdcage and searched the harbor for a boat with the same registration number as on the birdcage
- Statue Square, Central Hong Kong
- Nat & Kat won a trip for two to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for placing 1st in this leg.
Leg 11 - Episode 11 (Hong Kong, China → South Korea)Edit
Title: "I'm Surrounded by Ninjas" –- Brook
- Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, China to Incheon International Airport, Incheon, South Korea
- Seung-il Bridge Cheorwon, Gangwon
- teams had to whitewater raft down the Hantan River, then were driven to Camp Casey
- Camp Casey Dongducheon, Gyeonggi
- "Who's ready to be all you can be?": one team member must choose a headband and find the one solder among 200 wearing same headband
- Nick & Vicki had to clean a tank
- Seoul World Cup Stadium
- Full Throttle: teams went to Mok-Dong Ice Rink (목동 아이스링크), donned speed skating suits and completed a two-person relay of 24 laps to get the next clue
- Full Bottle: teams went to Namdaemum Market to retrieve and then deliver six bottles of ginsing tonic; after the delivery, one team member had to drink a glass to the tonic to get the next clue
- Yeouido Hangang Park (한강공원)
- Wongudan, Seoul
- Jill & Thomas won a trip for two to Iguazu Falls, Argentina for placing 1st in this leg.
- Elimination Station: Nick & Vicki
Leg 12 - Episode 12 (South Korea → United States)Edit
Title: "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race" -– Nat
- Incheon International Airport, Incheon to Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Pier J, 266, Port of Long Beach, Long Beach
- teams rode to the top of a gantry crane, received their next clue and then performed a bungee jump swing off the crane
- Rose Bowl, Pasadena Teams Had To build a float Before The 2009 Rose Queen To give there Next Clue
- teams had to solve three riddles, the answers which formed their next destination
- Quixote Studios, Stage 7, Los Angeles
- teams had to identify the greeters from the 11 pit stops from along the race and place them in the correct order
- Finish Line: Greystone Mansion, Beverly Hills
- Nat & Kat won US$1,000,000 for placing 1st in this leg.
- In Leg 1 of the Roadblock, the slingshot backfired and the watermelon hit Claire in the face.
- Chad & Stephanie left the Pit Start in Saint Petersburg over 2 hours late because they accidentally slept in. This did not affect their overall placement in Leg 8 as they came in 1st.
- During Leg 8, Chad proposed to Stephanie, who accepted. They are the first team to change their relationship during the race.
- Gary and Mallory drove over 9 hours during Leg 8.
- In Leg 8, Chad proposed to Stephanie, who accepted. They later won that leg won a trip to Belize which they picked as their honeymoon trip.
- Nat & Kat making history as the first all-female team to win The Amazing Race.
- The slingshot backfired and hit Claire in the face.
- Michael & Kevin incurring two 30-minute penalties for taking a taxi on two separate occasions without reading their clues properly.
- Gary & Mallory becoming lost for nine hours.
- The debut of the Express Pass, a pass that allows the team to skip the task they feel like they don't want to do.
- The debut of the Double U-Turn which allows two teams to U-Turn two different teams.
- Second season to have two female teams and one male-female team to finish in the top three. (Nat & Kat came in 1st, and Brook & Claire came in 2nd) (Dustin and Kandace and Charla and Mirna in All Stars).
- First season to have two female teams to come in 1st and 2nd respectively.
- Nat & Kat
- First female team to win five legs in a season.
- Most legs won by a female team in a season, five.
- Nat, first diabetic contestant to win the race.
- Chad & Stephanie
- First team to evolve their relationship while they're still racing, from Newly Dating to Engaged. (Chad proposes Stephanie for marriage and she accepted in leg 8)
- Most number of all-female teams, four.
- No married teams.
- Nat & Kat
- First all-female team to win The Amazing Race.
- Brook & Claire
- first team survive the U-turn and make it to the final three
- Jill & Thomas
- Nick & Vicki
- Chad & Stephanie
- Brook is tied for the most quoted racer for the episode titles: 4 episodes.
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)