|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
The Amazing Race 14 is the forteenth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on February 15, 2009 and ended on May 10, 2009 on CBS.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 14 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant(s) appeared on more than one season.
|Tammy & Victor||Siblings/Lawyers||2nd||1st||8th||3rd||2nd||1st||1st||3rd||2nd||3rd/1st»||1st||5-6|
|Jaime & Cara*||Former NFL Cheerleaders||7th||6th||7th||5th||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd||4th||1st/3rd||2nd||6-5|
|Margie & Luke*||Mother/Son||1st||4th||4th||4th»||1st||4th||4th||1st||3rd||2nd/2nd||3rd||5-6|
|Kisha & Jen*||Sisters||8th||7th||3rd||2nd||6th||3rd||5th||4th4||1st||4th/4th«||Eliminated 8th||5-5|
|Mark & Michael||Brothers/Stuntmen||3rd||8th||5th||7th||5th||6th||3rd3||5th5||5th||Eliminated 7th||5-3|
|Mel & Mike*||Father/Son||4th||2nd||1st||6th||4th||2nd||6th||Eliminated 6th||3-3|
|Christie & Jodi||Flight Attendants||10th||9th||6th||1st||7th||7th||Eliminated 5th||3-3|
|Amanda & Kris*||Dating||5th||3rd||2nd||8th«||Eliminated 4th||1-3|
|Brad & Victoria||Married||6th||5th||9th||Eliminated 3rd||0-3|
|Steve & Linda||Married||9th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||1-1|
|Preston & Jennifer||Dating||11th||Eliminated 1st||1-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: The U-Turn in Leg 4 was a Blind U-Turn; Margie & Luke did not have to reveal themselves to the other teams as having used the U-Turn.
Note 2: The unused Fast Forward in Leg 7 was unaired, making Season 14 the first season not to air a Fast Forward.
Note 3: Mark & Michael initially arrived 1st, but were issued two 30-minute penalties: one for intentionally tampering with the bike pumps and putting them away at the 2 Miles Detour, and another for hiring a taxi to guide them through the task, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Two teams checked in during their penalty time, dropping Mark & Michael to 3rd.
Note 4: Kisha & Jen initially arrived 3rd, but were not allowed to check in because they had left their travel documents and money at the location of the Roadblock; they were instructed to retrieve them before they could check in again. Tammy & Victor checked in while Kisha & Jen went back, dropping them to 4th; Mark & Michael also arrived during this time, but were unable to check in due to penalties accumulated during the Leg (see note 5).
Note 5: Mark & Michael initially arrived 4th, but were issued two 2-hour penalties, both for "using personal belongings to settle a bill" (they had bartered personal items to pay two taxi fares). With just over 3 hours of the penalty time remaining, Kisha & Jen returned to check in 4th. Mark & Michael, in last place at that point, were allowed to check in immediately after Kisha & Jen; however, they were notified the Leg was non-elimination, and the remaining penalty would be accessed at the start of the next Leg.
Note 6: Leg 10 was a double length Leg, with 2 Roadblocks and 2 Detours, shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the Leg's halfway point. The U-Turn appeared after the second Detour.
The episode titles are:
- "Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me" – Mel
- "Your Target is Your Partner's Face" – Directions for the "Austrian Folly" Detour task
- "I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard!" – Luke
- "It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots" – Mike
- "She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be OK!" – Victor
- "Alright Guys We're at War!" – Mark
- "Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???" – Victor
- "Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant" – Phil Keoghan
- "Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death" – Victor in Mandarin Chinese
- "Having a Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This" – Cara
- "No More Mr. Nice Guy" - Victor
- "This is How You Lose a Million Dollars" – Jaime
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → Switzerland)Edit
- Los Alamitos, California, USA (Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base) (Starting Line)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Locarno, Switzerland (Stazione di Locarno)
- Locarno (Church of Sant'Antonio) (Overnight Rest in Parco Robinson)
- Tenero-Contra (Verzasca Dam)
- Locarno (Stazione di Locarno) to Interlaken (Interlaken Ost)
- Interlaken (Kleine Rugen Wiese)
- Stechelberg (PostAuto Stop - Hotel Stechelberg then on to Alpenhof Stechelberg)
In the first Roadblock of the race, one member of the team had to bungee jump off the Verzasca Dam, the second highest commercial bungee in the world, at a height of 70 stories.
- Additional tasks
- Teams had a choice to take a flight from Los Angeles to either Zürich or Milan and then take a train to Locarno, Switzerland. Six teams chose the flight to Zürich and five teams chose the flight to Milan.
- Upon arrival at the Church of San Antonio, teams signed up for one of three departure times, all of which were the following morning. At the departure time, the priest gave them a picture similar to the one pictured at right, and teams were left to figure out that the picture was of the Verzasca Dam.
- At Kleine Rugen Wiese, teams had to transport 200 lbs of cheese (four wheels) from a shed to the bottom of the hill using traditional Swiss cheese carriers. Once the cheese was stacked, they would get the next clue.
- Upon arrival in Stechelberg, teams had to listen for the greeters' yodeling to locate the Pit Stop.
Leg 2 (Switzerland → Germany → Austria)Edit
- Schönau am Königsee (Bobsled Track)
- Schönau am Königsee (Holzsäger)
- Salzburg, Austria (Schloss Hellbrunn)
The Roadblock required one team member to paraglide down a mountain to a landing zone, where their partner was waiting. In the event of unfavorable winds, racers had a choice between waiting an undetermined amount of time for optimal weather conditions or taking a 60-minute hike down the mountain. The Detour was a choice between Balancing Dolly or Austrian Folly. In Balancing Dolly, teams had to ride Segways over a 2 mile stunt course. In Austrian Folly, team members had to throw Bavarian pies at their partner's face until they found one with cherry filling.
- Additional tasks
- At the Holzsäger, teams had to wait for the Tyrolean woodcutters to cut a piece of wood. Once teams had their wood, it would be stamped with their next clue.
Leg 3 (Austria → Germany → Romania)Edit
- Salzburg (Salzburg Hauptbahnhof) to Munich, Germany (München Hauptbahnhof)
- Munich (Munich Airport) to Otopeni, Romania (Henri Coandă International Airport)
- Bucharest (Complexul Sportiv National Lia Manoliu)
- Bran (Vila Panoramic)
At this Leg's Roadblock, one member of each team had to go through a series of moves for 3 gymnastics disciplines: the balance beam, the parallel bars, and floor exercises before receiving their next clue. The Detour was a choice between Gypsy Moves or Vampire Remains. In Gypsy Moves, teams had to help a family of gypsies move from one camp to another by loading their belongings on a traditional horse-drawn cart and unloading them at another location. In Vampire Remains, teams had to drag a chained coffin to a field of stakes on the land of Bran Castle. Once there, they had to undo the chains of the coffin to find several antique frames which they then had to smash against stakes (i.e., impale, a reference to Vlad the Impaler) until they found one containing a flag that they could trade for their next clue.
Leg 4 (Romania → Russia)Edit
- Otopeni (Henri Coandǎ International Airport) to Krasnoyarsk, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Siberia, Russia (Yemelyanovo Airport)
- Krasnoyarsk (Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric dam)
- Ovsyanka (Saint Innokenty
- Ovsyanka (Museum of The Last Bow)
- Krasnoyarsk (Bobrovy Log Park)
- Krasnoyarsk (Krasnoyarsk Theater of Musical Comedy)
This leg's Detour was a choice between Stack or Construct. In Stack, teams had to stack wood into a large wall formation in front of an existing stack. If their wall collapsed into the existing one, they would have to rebuild both. In Construct, teams had to assemble a local-style window frame, then look for a house marked with a "Repairs Needed" sign and install the window there. The Roadblock required one team member to complete a lap on a bobsled roller coaster in under four minutes while looking for seven letters scattered around the track. They then had to arrange the letters correctly (CHEKHOV) in order to receive their next clue.
- Teams had to identify the Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric dam pictured on the back of the 10 ruble banknote upon arriving in Siberia, which was their first place to drive to.
Leg 5 (Russia)Edit
- Trans-Siberian Railway from Krasnoyarsk (Krasnoyarsk Railway Station) to Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk Oblast (Novosibirsk Railway Station)
- Novosibirsk (Punkt Tekhnicheskogo Osmotra)
- Novosibirsk (Gosudarstvennaya Publichnaya Nauchnaya Tekhnicheskaya Biblioteka)
- Novosibirsk (Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre)
This leg's Detour was a choice between Russian Snowplow or Russian Bride.In Russian Snowplow, with their Lada cars, teams headed to Stadium Spartak, where each team member took turns driving a snowplow through a marked lane while directed by their partner. In Russian Bride, using Lada cars, teams took themselves to a Soviet-era apartment - apartment building 4 in Komsomolskaya Street, fetched one Russian bride and brought her to the Voznesensky Cathedral, where her groom was waiting. Once the team had a picture taken with the couple, the groom handed the team their next clue. In this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to choose two Russian marathon runners who would help them warm up, before he or she stripped down to his or her underwear to run a 1.4 mile course toward the Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre, where their partner, who was transported there separately, would join them in heading to the Pit Stop.
Leg 6 (Russia → India)Edit
- Novosibirsk (Tolmachevo Airport) to Jaipur, Rajasthan, India (Jaipur Airport)
- Dhula Village (Sacred Tree - Peepli Ka Pedh)
- Jaipur (Amber Fort – Gaura Parvati Parking)
- Jaipur (Johari Bazar Road – Ramniwas Ramgopal Puppet Store)
- Jaipur (Jaigarh Fort)
In this leg's Roadblock, one team member tended to a herd of camels belonging to the Maharaja by using traditional tools to pile hay up to a marked line and fill a trough with water. This leg's Detour was a choice between Shakers or Movers. In Shakers, teams should go to a junction (called Badi Chopar, intersection of Johari Bazar, Tripoli Bazar, Ramganz Bazar and Sireh Deori Bazar Roads) and dressed in traditional costumes and joined a local dance troupe to collect Rs.100 (around US$2) worth of tips. They then gave the money they earned to the band leader to receive their next clue. In Movers, teams headed to the Sanganeri Gate, chose two rickshaws loaded with barrels of hay and transported them 1.5 miles to the Zorawar Singh Gate. When they reached the Zorawar Singh Gate, they then had to search through the hay for a metal elephant charm which they could then trade for their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At the Sacred Tree at Dhula Village, teams were left to figure out that their next clue would be revealed to them by picking up one of two telephones and calling one of the four telephone numbers provided. The person on the line then told them the location of their next clue: Amber Fort.
Leg 7 (India → Thailand)Edit
- Jaipur (Jaipur Airport) to Phuket, Phuket Province, Thailand (Phuket International Airport)
- Phuket (Phuket Zoo - Gorilla Statue)
- Old Phuket (Nguan Choon Tong Herbs Shop)
- Phuket (Wat Thep Nimit Temple)
The Detour was a choice between 2 Miles or 100 Barrels. In 2 Miles, teams had to transport a rickshaw (with one team member sitting in it) 2 miles from Wat Phutta Mongkhon Nimit to King Rama IX Park to find the next clue. Bike pumps were provided alongside the rickshaws in the event of a flat tire. In 100 Barrels, teams had to travel to Pae Yod, choose one of 6 fishing boats, fill 47 barrels with water, and load 53 on the upper deck.
- Additional tasks
- At the start of the leg, teams were given a picture of a gorilla statue, and were left to figure that the statue was located in Phuket Zoo.
- At Phuket Zoo, teams had to take a picture with Phuket Zoo's main mascot, Esso the tiger, then participate in an elephant show, which involved being lightly stepped and squatted on by elephants. When the elephant show concluded, the tiger handler would hand them their picture, which contained their next clue.
- At Nguan Choon Tuan Herbs Shop, teams had to direct a shopkeeper to search through 99 boxes with herbs to find one of six that contained their next clue.
Leg 8 (Thailand)Edit
- Phuket (Phuket International Airport) to Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Bangkok (Chareonyont 007 Boat Yard)
- Bangkok (Chao Phraya River – Peninsula Pier)
- Bangkok (Phaya Thai Palace)
In this Leg's Roadblock, one team member had to put a propeller on a traditional Thai long-tail boat to receive their next clue. The Detour was a choice between Broken Teeth or Broken Record. In Broken Teeth, teams headed to the "Street of Happy Smiles" where they had to match five patients with their dentures, after which the teams would receive their clue. In Broken Record, teams had to travel to Bangkok's Chinatown at Yaowarat Road - Wat Samphantawong and choose a group of kathoeys and a "party taxi"; then they sang karaoke, entertaining the other travelers, as the taxi driver drove them 5 miles through the Bangkok traffic to their next destination to receive their next clue.
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to navigate the waterways of Bangkok in the long-tail boat using the map provided to find the Peninsula Pier.
Leg 9 (Thailand → People's Republic of China)Edit
- Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport) to Guilin, Guangxi, People's Republic of China (Guilin Liangjiang International Airport)
- Guilin (Peak of the Luminous Moon, Folded Brocade Mountains) (Unaired)
- Guilin (Qingxiu Lu hair salon)
- Guilin (Li River - # 24 Bridge)
- Guilin (Ancient South Gate)
- Guilin (Banyan Lake - Sun and Moon Pagodas)
In this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to direct a cormorant to retrieve fish they had thrown in the river. Once they retrieved 10 of the fish, they received their next clue. In the Detour, teams chose between Choreography or Calligraphy. In Choreography, teams had to perform a traditional dance routine. If their dance won the approval of two judges, they received their next clue. In Calligraphy, teams had to copy Chinese characters written by a calligrapher at four stations. Once the calligrapher was satisfied with the teams' calligraphy, he stamped their paper, and they proceeded to find the next station, which was named in the characters they had just copied. Once they had received all four stamps, they received their next clue. For this leg's Speed Bump, Mark & Michael must work a stylish in this salon, washing and drying hair of these two awaiting women. If Mark & Michael clean and dry both of the customer's hair, they can continue racing and hopefully make up this valuable lost time.
- At Folded Brocade Mountains, in an unaired task, teams had to climb to the Peak of the Luminous Moon and strike the "Drums of Life" before receiving the clue to the hair salon.
Leg 10 (People's Republic of China)Edit
- Guilin (Guilin Liangjiang International Airport) to Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport)
- Beijing (Liangzi Foot Massage Palace at Jianguomen)
- Beijing (Guangcai Natatorium - Beijing Muxiyuan Sports Technology School)
- Beijing (Drum Tower - North Gate) →→ (midpoint)
- Beijing (Beihai Street Mall)
- Beijing (Gugong Xibei Jiao (Northwest Corner))
- Beijing (Dongdan Subway Station)
- Beijing (Wenchang Pavilion (文昌阁) of Huguang Guild Hall)
- Beijing (Donghuamen Street Market)
- Beijing (Niao Chao or Bird's Nest)
In this leg's first Roadblock, one team member had to drink a cup of Chinese medicinal tea, then endure a traditional therapeutic foot massage for 10 minutes. After the massage and another cup of tea, they would receive their next clue. In the case teams were unable to bear the painful part of the massage, they would tap one side of their chair and say "uncle" to signal the masseuse to stop. Doing so, however, would mean restarting the massage from the beginning. This leg's first Detour was a choice between Sync or Swim. In Sync, teams jumped off three-meter springboards and attempted to touch the water in unison. Teams had to score a five from the judges in order to obtain their next clue. In Swim, teams donned a pair of Speedo LZR Racer suits, the same type of suit worn by Michael Phelps in the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, then teams had to swim eight lengths of the pool (400 meters) with each team member alternating after two lengths (100 meters). When they swam the whole eight lengths, they would receive their next clue (Phelps' world record time of 4:03.84 at the 400m individual medley from the 2008 Summer Olympics was shown for comparison, but teams were not required to beat it).
In the leg's second Detour, teams traveled to Huguang Guild Hall and chose between Chinese Waiter or Beijing Opera. In Chinese Waiter, teams had to travel to Huguang Huiguan restaurant; once there, they had to record four customer orders, spoken in Mandarin. Then, teams had to take their pad to a chef and pronounce the Mandarin orders correctly to have the chef prepare them. When teams served the plates to the customers, they would receive their next clue. In Beijing Opera, teams had to travel to the Huguang Huiguan Opera House; once there, they had to apply make-up onto each other exactly like the two models next to them. After approval, they had to go to the stage and bow to the master, who would hand them their next clue. In this leg's second Roadblock, one team member had to eat four fried Chinese delicacies which are larva, grasshopper, scorpion, and the starfish. After they finished, they would receive their next clue.
- At Beihai Street Mall, teams had to search its stores for a Travelocity gnome, which had their next clue on the bottom of its base.
- Upon arriving at Gugong Xibei Jiao, teams had to locate electric bicycles and use them to transport themselves past the Forbidden City and cross Tiananmen Square to Dongdan Subway Station where they would find their next clue.
Leg 11 (People's Republic of China → United States)Edit
- Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport) to Maui, Hawaii, USA (Kahului Airport)
- Maui (Beach Access 118 - Keokea Beach Homestead)
- Maui (McGregor Point)
- Maui (Kaohu Farms - Surfboard Fence)
- Maui (King Kamehameha Golf Club)
The final Roadblock of the Race required one team member to search through a pile of more than 300 surfboards for eleven that displayed a picture depicting a task, location, or person related to the ten previous legs of the race—one from each of the first nine legs, and one from each half of the double leg (the remaining surfboards had pictures depicting unrelated objects, some of which were pictures showing tasks from previous seasons). Then they had to arrange the surfboards in a fence in chronological order of their appearance during the Race. When all eleven surfboards were displayed in the correct order, they would receive their final clue.
- At Beach Access 118, teams had to season a 145 lb pig with island flavoring, then carry it suspended on a bamboo pole 200 yards along the beach to a Hawaiian luau. At the luau, they had to properly cover the pig for cooking to receive their next clue. This task was one of the two Detours, but since all teams chose to do the same Detour, it was shown as a miscellaneous task.
- At McGregor Point, teams had to get on a personal water craft and ride one mile (1.6 km) along a marked path in search of a field of 100 buoys. They then had to search the buoys for one of four that had their next clue attached.
- An unaired task before the Finish Line required teams to search for a statue.
- Linda taking the wrong route down the mountain in Leg 2.
- Amanda & Kris U-Turned by Margie & Luke
- Margie collapsing into Luke's arms in the effects of dehydration.
- Mark & Michael receiving the most penalties in a single race.
- Jen stopping to go to the bathroom.
- Luke having major difficulties at the final Roadblock.
- None of the couples in love made it to the final three. In fact, there are only four couples in love and all four were eliminated in the first four legs and the seven remaining teams are either friends or families.
- Luke is the first deaf contestant.
- The Maui finish line makes this the southernmost finish line in Race history.
- This is the second season since season 12 to have two contestants have the name "Jennifer" (From Preston and Jennifer, and Kisha and Jen, whose real name is Jennifer).
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=304886695&s=143441 Get Season 14 on iTunes]
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)