|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
The Amazing Race 12 is the twelveth season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on November 4, 2007 and ended on January 20, 2008 on CBS.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 12 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant(s) appeared on more than one season.
|TK & Rachel||Newly Dating||3rd||6th||2nd||7th||1st||4th||4th||1st||4th||2nd||1st||5-6|
|Ronald & Christina*||Father/Daughter||7th||9th||5th||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||3rd||1st||1st||2nd||5-5|
|Nicolas & Donald||Grandson/Grandfather||5th||8th||6th||4th||6th||5th||1stƒ||2nd||3rd||3rd||3rd||6-4|
|Nathan & Jennifer||Dating||10th||2nd||3rd||2nd||5th||3rd1||2nd||4th||2nd||4th||Eliminated 8th||5-5|
|Kynt & Vyxsin*||Dating Goths||2nd||4th||4th||5th||2nd||2nd||5th||5th»2||Eliminated 7th||4-4|
|Azaria & Hendekea||Brother/Sister||1st||5th||1st||1st||4th||6th||Eliminated 6th||4-2|
|Shana & Jennifer||Friends||6th||3rd||7th||6th»||7th||Eliminated 5th||3-2|
|Lorena & Jason||Dating||4th||1st||8th||8th«||Eliminated 4th||1-3|
|Marianna & Julia||Sisters||9th||7th||9th||Eliminated 3rd||2-1|
|Kate & Pat||Married Ministers||8th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||2-0|
|Ari & Staella||Best Friends||11th||Eliminated 1st||0-1|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Nathan & Jennifer initially arrived 2nd, but did not take legal transportation to the Pit Stop. They were asked to go back to the end of the Detour and take a taxi back to the Pit Stop. Kynt & Vyxsin checked in during that time period, dropping them to 3rd.
Note 2: Kynt & Vyxsin used their U-Turn power on Nicolas & Donald. However, Nicolas & Donald were actually ahead of them, thus the U-Turn had no effect.
The episode titles are:
- "Donkeys Have Souls, Too" – Christina
- "I've Become the Archie Bunker of the Home" – Ronald
- "Please, Lord, Give Me Milk" – Lorena
- "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil" – Shana
- "We Really Burned Bridges, For Sure" – Jennifer (of Shana & Jennifer)
- "Cherry on Top of the Sundae That's Already Melted" – Nathan
- "This is Forever, Now" – Donald
- "Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something!" – Jennifer (of Nathan & Jennifer)
- "I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak on Us" – Ronald
- "Sorry, Guys, I'm Not Happy to See You" – Jennifer (of Nathan & Jennifer)
- "The Final Push" – TK
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → Ireland)Edit
- Los Angeles, California, USA (The Playboy Mansion) (Starting Line)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland (Shannon Airport)
- Rossaveal, Connemara (Ferry Port - Aran & Island Ferries) to Inishmore, Galway Bay
- Inishmore (Teampall Bheanain) (Overnight Rest in The Pier House)
- Inishmore to Rossaveal (Ferry Port)
- Cleggan, County Galway (Cleggan Farm)
- Clifden (Connemara Heritage & History Centre)
The Roadblock for this leg of the Race required one team member to ride a high-wire bicycle across a wind swept ravine suspended almost 200 feet above the North Atlantic, while their partner, sitting eight feet below, was taken for the ride.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arrival at Teampall Bheanain, teams had to sign up for one of three return ferries for the next morning.
- Teams must pedal a tandem bike along a dirt path to their next clue upon reaching the farm. It is thought that this was a Detour choice; however, Ari and Staella confirmed in an interview that they never came across a Detour in the leg.
- After completing the Roadblock, teams received instructions to choose a donkey and fill each of its baskets with 15 pieces of peat. Then, they had to walk the donkey back to the entrance of the farm to receive their next clue.
Leg 2 (Ireland → Netherlands)Edit
- Shannon (Shannon Airport) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (Amsterdam Schiphol Airport)
- Amsterdam (Amsterdam Centraal railway station)
- Amsterdam (Melkmeisjesbrug)
- Ransdorp, Amsterdam (Rural Village Field)
- Durgerdam, Amsterdam (Yacht Club)
In the first Detour of the season, teams had to choose between Hoist It or Hunt It. In Hoist It, teams had to use a traditional rope and pulley system to hoist five pieces of furniture up a typical Amsterdam residence. In Hunt It, teams made their way on foot several blocks to a bicycle parking lot called Fietsflat to search through thousands of bicycles for two bikes tagged with a specific color designated in their clue. After finding their bikes, teams had to ride them five miles to an attendant who would give them their next clue. In the Roadblock for this leg, one team member had to play a sport called fierljeppen by completing a single vault over a 12 foot wide irrigation ditch and landing on both feet on the marshy grass at the other side.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to ride a bakfiets (cargo bicycle) to the next Pit Stop.
Leg 3 (Netherlands → Burkina Faso)Edit
- Amsterdam (Amsterdam Schiphol Airport) to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (Ouagadougou Airport)
- Ouagadougou (Train Station) to Boulkiemdé (Bingo)
- Boulkiemdé (Village School)
- Boulkiemdé (Outskirts of Bingo)
In the Roadblock, the teams visited an area inhabited by Tuareg people, where one team member had to milk a Dromedary and collect the camel milk in a dried gourd bowl, up to a marked line. Once finished, they had to show their bowl to a local for approval and then drink all the milk. If a team member was unable to obtain the sufficient amount of milk from his or her own camel, he or she had to wait until another team has completed their Roadblock and try milking their camel. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Teach It or Learn It. In Teach It, they would have to teach schoolchildren who did not speak English to memorize ten words of English, in which they will later be tested by a local teacher. In Learn It, teams have to learn from the local schoolchildren ten words in the More language. Teams will later be tested for these words by a local teacher.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to lead four camels along a marked path to their next route marker.
Leg 4 (Burkina Faso)Edit
- Boulkiemdé (Village in Bingo)
- Bouda-Pelegtanga, Yako, Passoré (Village Field)
- Pelegtanga Market
- Ouagadougou (Tampouy Goat Market)
- Ouagadougou (Hotel de Ville)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between Shake Your Pans or Shake Your Booty. In Shake Your Pans, teams had to use traditional methods to pan for one ounce of gold. Once done, they can trade their gold (after weighing), at a nearby tent, for their next clue. In Shake Your Booty, teams had to learn a traditional local dance and then perform it in front of 3 local celebrity judges and a crowd of locals. Teams must also infuse some of their own dance moves. A lack of creativity or a bad performance will incur teams a 10 minute penalty. In this Roadblock, one team member had to ride a bicycle and deliver a large amount of cumbersome goods, including a small goat. Teams had to deliver the items to a specific person stated in their clue at a nearby market.
- Additional task
- At the start of the leg, teams had to look for the village chief. Then, they had to accept a gift of a chicken from him, which they had to carry with throughout the leg to the Pit Stop or else teams can't check in.
Leg 5 (Burkina Faso → Lithuania)Edit
- Ouagadougou (Ouagadougou Airport) to Vilnius, Lithuania (Vilnius International Airport)
- Trakai (Trakai Island Castle)
- Vilnius (St. Anne's Church)
- Vilnius (Vilnius University courtyard)
- Rumšiškės (Lietuvos Liaudies Buities Muziejus)
- Rumšiškės (Aukštaitija Windmill)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to choose a local Lithuanian woman working outdoors in Nautilus courtyard who would give them a package and tell them where to take it. Then, traveling on foot through the confusing streets of the Vilnius Old Town, Team members had to deliver the package to the correct person in Vilnius University Courtyard, who would then hand them their second package and one of four final destinations: Gabi Kavine, Saint Germain Restaurant, Hair Salon Sidabrynas and Shakespeare Hotel. In this leg's Detour, teams had to choose between Step Up or Count Down. In Step Up, teams had to stilt-walk along a marked course to the finish line. If a person fell off before reaching the end, that person had to go back to the beginning and start again. When they reached the end, they would receive their next clue. In Count Down, teams made their way through the traditional Mid-Summer's Festival to a marked section of picket fence. Once there, they had to count every picket that makes up the fence and then reveal their calculation to a villager. If they were correct, they would receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the Lithuanian museum, teams had to search through the area for the roaming Travelocity gnome, as depicted in a picture on their clue. However, there were hundreds of common Lithuanian gnomes placed around the area to confuse the teams. Teams had to carry the Travelocity gnome with them all the way to the Pit Stop.
Leg 6 (Lithuania → Croatia)Edit
- Vilnius (Vilnius International Airport) to Dubrovnik, Croatia (Dubrovnik Airport)
- Dubrovnik (Fort of St. Lawrence)
- Dubrovnik (Fort Bokar)
- Dubrovnik (Stone Cross)
This leg's Roadblock was to correctly find one of eight stones out of 150 stones and fit it into the rock wall at the fort being rebuilt after the civil war with Yugoslavia. For the Detour, teams had to choose between Long & Short or Short & Long. In Long & Short, teams had to tandem zipline from the fort and then swim to the floating platforms where they must row a fishing boat around the city walls to a flagged area and from there, make their way on foot a shorter distance through the streets to find their next clue. In Short & Long, teams had to rappel down the walls of Fort Bokar and then scale it again on a rope ladder. Then, they had to make their way on foot a longer distance through the confusing old quarter streets to find their next clue.
- Additional task
- After completing the Roadblock, teams had to go to the fort's roof and ride a zipline down to Fort Bokar to receive their next clue.
Leg 7 (Croatia → Italy)Edit
- Dubrovnik (Autobusni kolodvor Dubrovnik) to Split (Autobusni kolodvor Split)
- Split (Ferry Terminal) to Ancona, Italy
- Empoli, Tuscany (Campo di Volo Silvano Poli)
- Vinci, Tuscany (Birthplace of Leonardo da Vinci)
- Florence, Tuscany (Boboli Gardens)
In the Race's only aired Fast Forward, teams had to travel to Fabio Studios to take part in a local seafaring tradition but didn’t know that the tradition is the art of tattoo. When they arrived, they would learn that they had to have a permanent tattoo drawn on their bodies, the letters FF for Fast Forward, when it was done, that team would win the Fast Forward. In this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to soar through the skies over Tuscany in an ultralight bamboo plane and had to scan a 6-mile radius of the countryside below for the name of their next destination: Vinci. If team members thought they spotted the hint, they had to signal their pilot who would then bring them back down. Once on the ground, they would tell the instructor the word and if correct the pilot would hand them their next clue. There was a thirty-minute time limit per flight as team members had to make a mandatory landing for refueling before continuing their search. In this Detour, teams had to choose between Tradition or Invention. In Tradition, teams made their way to Piazza Guido Masi. There, they had to learn a traditional local flag routine, and when they executed the routine correctly, the lead flagman would hand them a flag displaying the name of their next destination. In Invention, teams made their way to a nearby courtyard and chose a replica of a centuries-old crane designed by Leonardo da Vinci. They had to first assemble the crane and use it to lift one large stone a foot off the ground. Then, they had to place a mirror underneath and read a clue printed on the bottom of the rock.
Leg 8 (Italy → India)Edit
- Florence (Peretola Airport) to Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport)
- Mumbai (M.R. Naik Newspaper Stall - Khar Danda)
- Mumbai (Chauhan Alteration Tailors)
- Mumbai (Kabutar Khana)
- Mumbai (Bharatgas Colaba Gas Service)
- Mumbai (Bandra Fort)
This leg's Detour required teams to choose between Thread 'Em or Paste 'Em. In Thread 'Em, teams made their way to Dadar Flower Market and found a marked flower stall called Shyam Pandurang Bhagat where they had to create a traditional wedding garland by threading 108 flowers in an alternating pattern (red, orange, yellow). When the judge agreed that the garland had been properly made, teams needed to deliver it to a nearby bridegroom and exchange it for their next clue. In Paste 'Em, teams made their way to a marked underpass in Tulsi Pipe Road of Dadar West Bridge and used the provided supplies to properly paste a 6-panel Bollywood movie poster onto the wall. When the advertisement was complete, they would receive their next clue. In this Roadblock, one team member had to load a bicycle cart with six tanks of propane gas, pedal to the two addresses listed on their order slips, deliver three tanks to each address, and then take a receipt from the homeowner's door as proof of delivery. Once their deliveries were complete, they had to hand the forewoman their two order slips and two receipts to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the newspaper stall, teams searched for an ad in The Times of India that contained the location of the next route marker.
Leg 9 (India → Japan)Edit
- Mumbai (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport) to Osaka, Osaka Prefecture, Japan (Kansai International Airport)
- Osaka (Kishiwada Castle)
- Osaka (Noda Station)
- Osaka (Kita-Mido Temple)
- Osaka (Tempozan Park)
This leg's Roadblock required one team member to put on a hat and gloves as local cabbies do and transport a Japanese couple five miles through a maze of confusing, often one way streets to a specified address (the Osaka Central Post Office). They could not invite a local to lead them or join them in the car and the couple could not help them. Upon arrival at the correct address, the couple would hand them their next clue. However, the drivers would also have to make their way back to their teammate before they read what was inside. In this leg's Detour, the choice was Sense of Touch or Sense of Smell. In Sense of Touch, teams made their way on foot to the Shimojima Building and had to use miniature robots controlled by cell phones to play a game of soccer against two robotic defenders. Once each team member had scored a goal, the referee would give them their next clue. In Sense of Smell, teams made their way to the Saera Flower Shop where only artificial flowers were sold. Once there, they had to use their noses (and only their noses) to identify one real flower hidden among thousands of artificial ones in the two story flower shop. When they found a real flower, the shop owner would give them their next clue.
Leg 10 (Japan → Taiwan)Edit
- Osaka (Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden)
- Osaka (Kansai International Airport) to Taipei, Taiwan (Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport)
- Taipei (Taipei Main Station) to Taichung (Taichung THSR station) by Taiwan High Speed Rail
- Jiji, Nantou County (Acrobatics Jeep)
- Heping Elementary School, Jiji (Fireworks)
- Taichung (Taichung THSR station) to Taipei (Taipei Main Station) by Taiwan High Speed Rail
- Taipei (GK Teahouse)
- Taipei (Gong Guan Night Market)
- Taipei (Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall Plaza)
In the Roadblock, one team member had to become a passenger in a car driven by a professional stunt driver who would maneuver the vehicle onto a giant teeter-totter and then rock back and forth precariously 25 feet above the ground. Then, the team member would switch into an amphibious car, don a pair of goggles, and while holding their breath, they would be driven underwater for 17 seconds. In the Detour, teams had to choose between Fire or Earth. In Fire, teams made their way to Zhongzheng Park to participate in a mystical Chinese ritual by writing messages of luck, good or bad, on Kongming lanterns. They had to burn "spirit money" under the lanterns, filling them with hot air that would lift the lanterns into the sky and carry their messages to the spirits above. Once a team sent 20 sky lanterns into the air, they would receive their next clue. In Earth, teams made their way to Youth Park to participate in a local custom used to reduce stress. Team members had to take off their shoes and, with their bare feet, walk down a 220-foot path made of jagged stones, turn around, and walk back. The Speed Bump task requires TK & Rachel to don on protective gear and run through a barrage of fireworks. Only after completing the run and being doused by water was the team allowed to continue the race.
- Additional tasks
- At the Umeda Sky Building, teams had to take an elevator to the Floating Gardens at the top of the building and search for their next clue.
- At the teahouse, each racer drank a cup of tea with a Chinese clue written on the bottom of the cups to reveal the next location. The clue instructed teams to travel to the Gong Guan Night Market and find a clown who would give them their next clue.
Leg 11 (Taiwan → United States)Edit
- Taipei (Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport) to Anchorage, Alaska, USA (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport)
- Anchorage (6th Avenue Outfitters)
- Anchorage (Ship Creek Boat Launch)
- Anchorage (Twentymile River)
- Anchorage (Merrill Field)
- Anchorage (Goose Lake Park)
- Anchorage (Captain Cook Statue)
- Anchorage (Salmon Hooker Statue)
- Girdwood (Girdwood Airport)
In the Race's final Detour, teams had to choose between Cut the Cod or Grab the Crab. In Cut the Cod, teams had to cut through several 50-pound Ling Cod and search for a miniature clue hidden in one of the fish. In Grab the Crab, teams had to jump into the hold of a boat swarming with over 500 live crabs. Then, they had to search through the nipping crustaceans for a crab marked with Race colors. In this season's final Roadblock, one team member had to face a field of objects they encountered along the race course. Each team was given fifteen recognizable items from different legs of the race. They had to place on a stage ten specific items that matched two different requirements. First, there could only be one item from each of the ten legs of the race. Second, only three items could be animals or animal by-products, one had to be a U-Turn, three had to be items either at or brought to the Pit Stop, two had to be items of transportation with wheels, one of which was used at a Detour, and one had to be an item of transportation resembling the shape of a stick. While there were several ways to fulfill either of the requirements, only one correct group of ten items fulfilled both.
- Additional tasks
- At 6th Avenue Outfitters, teams would pick up necessary gear for the journey ahead along with their next clue.
- At 20-Mile River, teams took a high-speed boat to 20-Mile Glacier; once there, both team members had to climb a wall of ice to reach their next clue. They then returned via helicopter to Merrill Field to continue the race.
- Ron & Christina becoming the first parent/child team to reach the final three.
- Nick & Don becoming the first grandparent/grandchild team to reach the final three.
- Nathan & Jennifer and Ari & Staella having major difficulties getting their donkeys to move, leading to Ari & Staella's elimination.
- Ron's constant nagging in Leg 2 brought Christina to tears.
- Azaria & Hendekea receiving a ticketing error which they could not recover from.
- None of the male teams had been eliminated from the race.
- TK & Rachel
- Ronald & Christina
- First parent/child team to be in the final three.
- Highest finish for a parent/child team, 2nd place.
- Nicolas & Donald
- First grandparent/grandchild team.
- First grandparent/grandchild team to be in the final three.
- Don, the oldest person to be in the final three.
- First grandparent/grandchild team to win a leg.
- First grandparent/grandchild team to win the Fast Forward.
- Highest finish for a grandparent/grandchild team, 3rd place.
- Nathan & Jennifer
- Kynt & Vyxsin
- Azaria & Hendekea
- Shana & Jennifer
- First team to use the U-Turn
- Lorena & Jason
- Marianna & Julia
- Kate & Pat
- First team of lesbians
- Ari & Staella
- Click here for this season's Greeters
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)