|This Season Article is in need of clean-up. You can help by editing this article so it conforms to the Season Article Format. Please remove this template once cleanup is complete.|
|The Amazing Race 1|
|Winners||Rob & Brennan|
|Aired||September 5, 2001 – December 13, 2001|
|Filming||March 8, 2001 – April 8, 2001|
|Traveled||35,000 miles (56,326 km)|
|Next||The Amazing Race 2|
The Amazing Race 1 is the first season of the reality television show, The Amazing Race. It premiered on September 5, 2001 and ended on December 13, 2001 on CBS television.
- Main article: The Amazing Race 1 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
- An * indicates that the contestant appeared on more than one season.
|Rob & Brennan||Lawyers/Best Friends||1stƒ||3rd||3rd||6th||4th||3rd||3rd||3rd||1st||1st||2nd||1st||1st||5-7|
|Frank & Margarita||Separated Parents||3rd||4th||2nd||4th||5th||1st6||1stƒ||2nd||2nd||2nd||1st||2nd||2nd||8-3|
|Joe & Bill*||Life Partners||2nd||2nd||4th||1st||2nd||2nd6||2nd||4th||4thƒ||4th||3rd||3rd||3rd9||6-4|
|Kevin & Drew*||Fraternity Brothers||9th||5th||1stƒ||2nd||1st||4th||4th||1st||3rd||3rd||4th||Eliminated 8th||5-4|
|Nancy & Emily||Mother/ Daughter||10th||7th||8th||3rd||3rd||5th||5th||5th||5th8||Eliminated 7th||2-6|
|Lenny & Karyn||Dating||4th||9th||7th||7th||6th||6th7||6th||Eliminated 6th||2-4|
|Paul & Amie||Engaged||8th||6th||6th||4th4||7th5||Eliminated 5th||2-1|
|Dave & Margaretta||Grandparents||7th2||8th3||5th||8th||Eliminated 4th||2-0|
|Pat & Brenda||Working Moms||5th||1stƒ||9th||Eliminated 3rd||1-0|
|Kim & Leslie||Teachers/ Roommates||6th||10th||Eliminated 2nd||1-0|
|Matt & Ana||Married||11th||Eliminated 1st||0-0|
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Note 1: Leg 1 featured an un-aired Roadblock that was only partially shown in the DVD release. This is not included in the final Roadblock tallies.
Note 2: Dave & Margaretta initially were checked in at the Pit Stop in 7th, but they were retroactively penalized for not completing the Detour correctly. They served their penalty before the start of the next leg, dropping them to 8th to depart.
Note 3: Dave & Margaretta initially were checked in at the Pit Stop in 6th, but they were retroactively penalized for not completing the Roadblock correctly. This Roadblock is not included in their Roadblock count because neither Dave nor Margaretta completed it properly. They served their penalty before the start of the next leg, dropping them to 8th to depart.
Note 4: Paul & Amie initially arrived 5th, but were given a time credit because of a production difficulty, pushing them up to 4th.
Note 5: Paul & Amie arrived at the pit stop by chance after getting lost and unknowingly skipping the Roadblock. However, since they were already in last place, they were eliminated without being assessed the 4-hour penalty.
Note 6: Frank & Margarita and Joe & Bill initially arrived 1st and 2nd, respectively, but were each issued a 30-minute penalty for failing to follow a clue correctly. The penalty did not affect their placements.
Note 7: Lenny & Karyn were granted a time credit for production difficulties. This did not affect their placement.
Note 8: Nancy & Emily initially arrived 4th, but were issued a 24-hour penalty for failing to complete either Detour option. Joe & Bill checked in during Nancy & Emily's penalty time, causing them to fall to last place and be eliminated.
Note 9: Joe & Bill had fallen so far behind that they were unable to complete the final leg. When Joe & Bill departed from Takosha Lodge in Alaska and reached the first route marker, they were informed that the race was over.
The episode titles are:
- The Race Begins
- Divide And Conquer
- Home For Some
- Colossal Showdown
- Desert Storm
- Whatever It Takes To Win
- Triumph And Loss
- Competition To The Fullest
- The Unexpected Twist
- To The Physical And Mental Limit
- Fight To The Last Minute
- Race To The Finish - Part 1
- Race To The Finish - Part 2
- Margaretta Groark died on October 26, 2008, at the age of 67 after a long battle with cancer.
- Nancy Hoyt died on December 8, 2011, at the age of 56 after a long battle with Lou Gehrig's disease.
Speed Bump · Hazard · Pit Stop · Non-elimination Leg ·
Air travel · Bus · Ferry · Train · Car · Bicycle
Leg 1 (United States → South Africa → Zambia)Edit
- New York City, New York, United States (Central Park , Starting Point)
- New York City (John F. Kennedy International Airport) to Johannesburg, South Africa (Johannesburg International Airport)
- Johannesburg (Lanseria Airport) to Livingstone, Zambia (Livingstone Airport)
- Livingstone (Victoria Falls - Knife's Edge)
- Livingstone (Boiling Pot, Zambezi River)
- Livingstone (Batoka Gorge)
In the first Fast Forward of the race, teams had to hike down a steep slope to Boiling Pot. Rob and Brennan Completed this Fast Forward. The Detour for this leg was Air or Land. In Air, teams had to take a zipline and then do a 54-meter gorge swing. Joe and Bill, Frank and Margarita, Pat and Brenda, Lenny and Karen, Kim and Leslie, Dave and Margaretta, Nancy and Emily, Paul and Amie, Matt and Ana, and Kevin and Drew completed this option. In Land, teams had to take a long hike down the mountains. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock, which was unaired (but available on the DVD set), was to cook an ostrich egg and eat it.
- Additional Task
- On the DVD, it is shown that teams had to eat the ostrich egg together before checking into the pit stop.
Leg 2 (Zambia → South Africa → France)Edit
- Songwe Village (Songwe Museum)
- Zambezi River (Bundu Adventures)
- Mukuni Village
- Johannesburg, South Africa (Johannesburg International Airport) to Paris, France (Charles de Gaulle International Airport)
- Paris (Eiffel Tower)
- Paris (Arc de Triomphe)
The Detour for this leg was Near or Far. In Near, teams went to a nearby jungle to photograph three hard to find animals. Frank and Margarita, Rob and Brennan, Joe and Bill, Kevin and Drew, Lenny and Karen, Nancy and Emily, Dave and Margaretta, Paul and Amie, and Kim and Leslie completed this option. In Far, teams had to go to Botswana to photograph only one elephant. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock on this leg was to climb up part of the Eiffel Tower and look for the pitstop (the Arc de Triomphe) with a telescope. Bill, Rob, Frank, Kevin, Lenny, Paul, Kim, and Emily completed this Roadblock. Neither Dave nor Margaretta completed this Roadblock correctly. The Fast Forward was to whitewater raft with Bundu Adventures. Pat and Brenda completed this Fast Forward.
- Additional task
- At Mukuni village, Teams take their part in a traditional welcome ceremony for honored guests. The ceremony involve meeting the village chief as well as viewing a tribal dance.
Leg 3 (France)Edit
- Paris (Roue de Paris)
- Paris (Mariage Frères)
- Paris (Hôtel de Ville)
- Paris (Place du Chatelet)
- Paris (Gare de Lyon) to Avignon/Marseille (Gare d'Avignon Centre/Gare de Marseille Saint-Charles)
- Les Baux de Provence (Château des Baux)
The first challenge on this leg was the Detour: Tough Climb or Easy Walk. In Tough Climb the teams had to climb up 297 steps of the tower of Notre Dame Cathedral de Paris and ring a bell. Paul and Amie, Nancy and Emily, Lenny and Karen, and Dave and Margaretta completed this option. In Easy Walk, teams had to find the statue of a cat beside the Foucault pendulum in the Panthéon. The only catch was there were two Foucault pendulums at two different places, but only one had a cat next to it, which the teams didn't know. Joe and Bill, Rob and Brennan, Frank and Margarita, and Pat and Brenda completed this option. In the Roadblock, one member of each team had to walk through the sewers of Paris. Paul, Karen, Emily, Frank, Dave, Joe, Brennan, and Pat completed this Roadblock. The Fast Forward was to find an obscure tea shop and pick the right tea in Mariage Frères. Kevin and Drew completed this Fast Forward.
Leg 4 (France → Tunisia)Edit
- El Djem (Amphitheater of Thysdrus)
The Detour on this leg was Full Body Brew or Full Body Massage. In Full Body Brew, teams had to find a coffee shop in Bab Bhar marketplace, without a map. Kevin and Drew, Joe and Bill, Rob and Brennan, Dave and Margaretta, Frank and Margarita, Nancy and Emily, and Lenny and Karen completed this option. In Full Body Massage, teams, with the help of a map, had to find a massage area and sit through a 20 minute massage. Paul and Amie chose this option. The Roadblock took place at the Amphitheater of Thysdrus. The person performing the Roadblock had to navigate the amphitheater to find the pit of death. Then, they had to take a sword from the pit and bring it to the pit stop. Bill, Drew, Emily, Frank, Amie, Brennan, Lenny, and Dave performed this roadblock. The unused Fast Forward told teams to go fishing for it on board the ‘Kinsa’ in the port of Sidi Bou Said.
- Additional task
- At the beginning of the leg, teams received a small flag from the country indicating their next destination and instructions to travel by boat from Marseille. They also received the picture of a man they had to find when they arrived at their destination.
Leg 5 (Tunisia)Edit
- Tataouine (Globe monument)
- Sahara (Compass Coordinates; Route Marker to Ksar Hadada)
- Sahara (Ksar Ghilane)
In Tataouine, Tunisia, teams found a Detour: Listening or Puzzling. In Listening, teams had to locate a Star Wars set and get a walkie talkie. Using their walkie talkie, they had to find the other one on the set. Kevin and Drew, Joe and Bill, Nancy and Emily, Paul and Amie, Frank and Margarita, Lennie and Karen, and Rob and Brennan completed this option. In Puzzling, teams had to locate a specific house in Tataouine, and win a Tunisian dice game. No teams completed this option. The Roadblock was to ride a camel led by the non-Roadblocking partner in the Sahara Desert. The team member riding the camel had to use a compass, and set of compass directions (E.G. travel 50 meters north-west, then 17 meters, east) to find a route marker in the middle of the Sahara Desert. Kevin, Joe, Emily, Rob, Margarita, and Karen performed this Roadblock. Paul and Amie went to the Pit Stop without arriving at the Roadblock. This was the only time up until leg 11 that there was no fast foward due to this leg's desert setting.
Leg 6 (Tunisia → Italy)Edit
- Gabès, Tunisia to Tunis, Tunisia (Palace Hotel)
- Tunis, Tunisia (Tunis-Carthage International Airport) to Rome, Italy (Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport)
- Rome (Colosseum)
- Rome (Roma Termini railway station) to Modena (Train station)
- Modena (Castelfranco Emilia)
- Modena (Pagani Auto Factory)
- Sant'Agata Bolognese (Town Square)
In Rome, teams encountered a Detour, Hoof or Foot. In Hoof teams were given a picture of a hoof and had to match up the hoof to a hoof on a statue. At the bottom of the horse statue, there were taxis, so teams would pick up speed. Rob and Brennan, Frank and Margarita, Joe and Bill, Kevin and Drew, and Nancy and Emily completed this option. In Foot required teams to find a large statue of a foot, and their next clue. Lennie and Karen completed this option. The Roadblock was to drive a small car to find the pit stop, Sant'Agata Bolognese, using a map in Italian. the team member also had follow a specific route to the Pit Stop. Frank, Joe, Brennan, Drew, Nancy, and Karen performed this Roadblock.
Leg 7 (Italy → India)Edit
- Sant'Agata Bolognese (Town Square)
- Ferrara, Italy (Castello Estense)
- Ferrara, Italy (Train Station)
- Rome, Italy (Leonardo da Vinci International Airport) / Milan, Italy (Malpensa International Airport) to Delhi, India (Indira Gandhi International Airport)
- Delhi, India (Red Fort - Chandni Chowk)
- Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India (Taj Khema Hotel)
The Detour of this leg was Ride or Glide. In Ride, teams had to ride bikes with a map to the clue box. Joe and Bill, Lennie and Karen, and Nancy and Emily completed this option. In Glide, teams took a glider ride with a professional glider, first come, first serve. Rob and Brennan and Kevin and Drew completed this option. The Fast Forward was to find Castello Estense and ride a boat in the moat to find a clue on the wall. Frank and Margarita completed the Fast Forward. The Roadblock was to hire a rickshaw and find a shopkeeper in Red Fort Market. Joe, Karyn, Kevin, Rob, and Nancy performed this Roadblock.
Leg 8 (India)Edit
- Agra (Taj Mahal)
- Jaipur, Rajasthan (Hawa Mahal)
- Bikaner (Laxmi Niwas Palace)
The Detour of this leg was Rowboat or Elephant. In Rowboat, teams had to find a holy man using a boat to get to him at the Jal Mahal Water Palace. Frank and Margarita, Joe and Bill, and Kevin and Drew completed this option. In Elephant, teams had to find a holy man by riding an elephant to him at the Amber Fort. Rob and Brennan and Nancy and Emily completed this option. The Roadblock was to find a jar of clues in Karni Mata Temple, a temple of rats, with only socks on. Margarita, Brennan, Kevin, Bill, and Emily performed this Roadblock.
Leg 9 (India → Thailand)Edit
- Delhi (Indira Gandhi International Airport) to Bangkok, Thailand (Don Mueang International Airport)
- Bangkok (Temple of Dawn)
- Bangkok (Temple of the Reclining Buddha)
- Kanchanaburi (Buddhist Monastery)
- Krabi (Tiger Cave Temple)
In Thailand, the Detour was Public or Private. In Public teams had to go to a local bus station for a bus leaving every 15 minutes, going to their next location. Rob and Brennan and Kevin and Drew completed this option. In Private, teams had to find a van within a specified perimeter of Bangkok, with a license plate as their only clue. Frank and Margarita completed this option. Nancy and Emily decided not to complete either option. The Fast Forward was to go to the Temple of the Reclining Buddha and find the bowl with the correct number of coins to participate in the ritual correctly. Joe and Bill completed this Fast Forward. The Roadblock was that one team member had to walk through a pit of tigers. Frank, Rob, Drew, and Emily performed this Roadblock.
Leg 10 (Thailand)Edit
- Railay Beach (King Climbers)
- Railay Beach (Thaiwand Wall)
- Bo Tor, Ao Luk (Sea, Land and Trek)
- Ailai Beach (Chicken Island)
- Pai Plong Beach
The Detour on this leg was Hike or Climb. In Hike, teams had to go on a long hike to find their next clue. No teams completed this option. In Climb, teams had to climb King's Rock Climb Wall, and then rappel into a boat. Rob and Brennan, Frank and Margarita, Kevin and Drew, and Joe and Bill completed this option. The Roadblock was to paddle a kayak with both members and their luggage to a nearby cave with snorkeling gear and their next clue. Brennan, Frank, Kevin, and Joe performed this Roadblock.
- Additional task
- After the Roadblock teams had to hire a boat at Ailai Beach to take them by boat where the next clue is almost at Chicken Island where they had to use the snorkel gear they collected at the Roadblock to dive for their next clue.
Leg 11 (Thailand → People's Republic of China)Edit
- Phuket (Phuket International Airport) to Beijing北京], People's Republic of China (Beijing Capital International Airport 北京首都国际机场])
- Beijing 北京(Jingshan Park, Top Pavilion 景山公园】)
- Beijing 北京(Hongqiao Market）
- Beijing 北京(Donghuamen Night Market - Cart #57)
- Beijing 北京(Tiantan Park, 天安门[[Temple of Heaven|Temple of Heaven Park]故宫] South Gate)
In mainland China, teams encountered the Detour: Volley or Rally. In Volley teams had to score five points in a ping-pong game against an expert ping-pong player. Frank and Margarita and Rob and Brennan completed this option. In Rally, teams took three common forms of transportation of People's Republic of China (Bus, Motorcycle, and Rickshaw) to get to their next clue. Kevin and Drew and Joe and Bill completed this option. The Roadblock was to eat the food bought at the Beijing Food Market, including chicken feet, beetle larvae, and squid. Margarita, Brennan, Joe, and Drew performed this Roadblock. This location and task was used again as a roadblock in The Amazing Race 14, however, teams got their food directly at the market and that there were different delicacies.
- Additional task
- At the Hongqiao Market, teams had to buy some items that were in a list, written in Mandarin: chicken feet, beetle larvae and squid. Then they had to deliver it to a cooker at the Donghuamen Night Market.
Leg 12 (People's Republic of China → United States)Edit
- Beijing (Tiantan Park)
- Great Wall of China 中国万里长城(Jūyōng Pass)
- Beijing (Beijing Capital International Airport)北京首都国际机场 to Anchorage, Alaska, USA (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport)
- Scotty Lake (North Country Bed and Breakfast)
- Scotty Lake (Blanket Toss Area)
- Matanuska Glacier
- near Denali State Park (Highway Mile Marker 131)
- Wilderness Cabin
The Detour for this leg was Flat or Steep. In Flat, teams took a flat route of the Great Wall of China to find their clue. No teams completed this option. In Steep teams took a steeper, but shorter, route. Rob and Brennan, Frank and Margarita, and Joe and Bill completed this option. The Roadblock in Alaska, USA, was to climb the Matanuska Glacier. Rob, Frank, and Bill performed this Roadblock.
- Additional tasks
- At the Tiantan Park, teams had to find kite flyers who were flying kites that had their next clue.
- After spending the night at the Bed and Breakfast in Scotty Lake, teams made their way to a Blanket Toss Area. There, one team member had to be bounced up and down on an Alaskan tapestry until they spotted the next route marker. There, teams would get their next clue.
Leg 13 (United States)Edit
- Talkeetna (Fish Lake)
- Anchorage (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport) to Newark, New Jersey (Newark International Airport)
- Queens, New York City, New York (Vincent Daniels Square)
- New York City (Flushing Meadows Park)
The Detour on this leg was Dog Power or Horsepower. In Dog Power, teams mushed sled dogs to their next clue. Rob and Brennan and Frank and Margarita completed this option. In Horsepower, teams had to take a much longer route with a snowmobile. No teams completed this option. Joe and Bill recieved a clue telling them that the other teams had crossed the finish line before completing either option. The last challenge of the race was a Roadblock. In this Roadblock, teams had to strip down to underwear or a bathing suit and completely submerge into the frigid waters of Fish Lake, an Alaskan tradition. Brennan and Frank performed this Roadblock.
- Pat & Brenda went to the wrong location in Leg 3.
- Paul & Amie got lost in the Sahara Desert in Leg 5.
- Nancy & Emily taking a 24-hour penalty for quitting the Detour.
- First season to have a two-way race to the finish line in the final leg.
- Rob & Brennan
- First team to win the Fast Forward (also first male team to do so).
- First team to win a leg (also first male team to do so).
- Very first team to win the race (also first male team to do so).
- First team to win the first leg and win the race (also first male team to do so).
- Frank & Margarita
- First male/female team to win a leg.
- Joe & Bill
- First Team to win a Leg without the use of a fast forward
- First team to make the final 3 but fail to complete the race.
- First team to complete a Fast Forward but not finish the leg in 1st place.
- Kevin & Drew
- First male team to be eliminated.
- Nancy & Emily
- First parent/child team
- First team to be eliminated due to a penalty
- Lenny & Karyn
- First African-American team (based on elimination order) to participate in the race.
- Paul & Amie
- Dave & Margaretta
- First Team to be Penalized
- Pat & Brenda
- First female team to win the Fast Forward.
- First female team to win a leg.
- Kim & Leslie
- First female team to be eliminated.
- Matt & Ana
- Very first team to be eliminated. (also the first male/female team to do so).
- Click here for this season's Greeters
- ↑ " Post on TWoP forums with information supplied by Brennan. (Scroll down to 'Season 1 — Leg 4') ". Retrieved on November 2 2006.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25)