|"Race to the Finish (Part 2)"|
|Episode Number||13/13 (013)|
|First Broadcast||December 13, 2001|
|Viewership (in millions)||13.70|
|CBS Summary||Link (archived)|
|Previous||"Race to the Finish (Part 1)"|
|Next|| "The World Is Waiting: Go!"|
Race to the Finish (Part 2) is the season finale of The Amazing Race 1.
- “It could be that the other two teams ahead of us make some fatal error and they have each made near-fatal errors before. I'm hoping that either by the race or by some mistake that they make, we'll have an opportunity to move up quickly.”— Bill
At 4:17 am, Rob & Brennan depart and receive their next clue. They are informed they have to wear snowshoes and walk, while following yellow flags, a mile to Takosha Lodge to get their next clue. While the lodge doesn't open until 8:00 am, they decide to head toward the lodge now. The lawyers run into an issue as the cold has apparently killed their batteries for the flashlight.
At 5:03 am, Frank & Margarita depart. Margarita is elated to finish the race. After reading their next clue, they don snowshoes and head for the lodge. Before they get far, Rob & Brennan ask if they have an extra flashlight or follow them, as walking in the dark would be almost impossible for them to complete the task.
- “Margarita: They were scared.
Frank: They were so scared to do anything on their own.”
Frank says they can simply follow his and Margarita's track. Rob & Brennan comment that it'd still be hard to see their tracks, but still decide to follow Frank & Margarita.
- “They started following us, of course, as they normally do.”— Frank
Frank & Margarita arrive at the lodge, with Rob & Brennan shortly behind them. They have to wait until 8 o'clock until the lodge opens, and decide to camp out in the cold. Frank tell Margarita he appreciates that she walks quickly for someone so short. Margarita laughs, claiming she's thin, not short, but likes Frank's compliment regardless.
The two teams are informed to stay in a nearby cabin until the lodge opens.
- “In the middle of the race, we had some bad legs. We had some luck going the wrong way, and we weren't feeling confident.”— Brennan
- “We're young, we haven't traveled very much, we don't speak any foreign languages. You know, we just came into this with our wits and some strength and that's what carried us through. We've done a great job. I couldn't be prouder of the way we played the game. You know, played hard, but fair. Proud of my partner, proud of us as a team, and I think we've done more than I expected us to do.”— Rob
- “I feel I've pushed myself to every limit imaginable. I've been sick three times on this trip. Physically I pushed myself to limit I've never, ever pushed myself before and I feel like I have to win this.”— Margarita
Meanwhile, Joe & Bill are at Scotty Lake completing the previous leg's tasks, starting with the Alaskan blanket toss to search for their next clue somewhere in the snow. Bill is the one to be tossed on the blanket.
- “We're in third place, and I think we're going to be climbing soon.”— Bill
Bill spots the marker and Team Guido find their next clue, and they head to Matanuska Glacier.
Back at Takosha Lodge, the venue has opened, allowing Rob & Brennan and Frank & Margarita to get their next clue. Getting their next clue, they find the Detour. Their choices are Dog Power or Horse Power. For both choices, the route will take them to a 4x4 to drive to Fish Lake. In Dog Power, teams have to travel eleven miles on a dogsled. In Horse Power, teams have to travel thirty miles on a snowmobile. Both teams choose Dog Power and head out on the course. Frank has some trouble on the trail.
- “What happened was I think Frank was just a little too heavy for the dogs, and he was the leader of the pack of all four of us and, like, my dogs kept trying to pass because I was lighter and they were running much faster, and, like, he was really slow.”— Margarita
With Frank being too slow, and Margarita holding the dogs back, Rob & Brennan are able to pass them to take the lead. Rob & Brennan get into their 4x4 and head to Fish Lake. They comment that they are truly in the middle of nowhere.
Frank & Margarita finish the Detour. They get into their care and consult a map to find Fish Lake.
Rob & Brennan arrive at Fish Lake, finding the route marker easily. They open their next clue to find a Roadblock. Brennan volunteers to do it. For the Roadblock, the assigned team member must strip down to their underwear or a bathing suit and completely submerge themselves into the 40°F Fish Lake. Brennan plunges into the water and heads over to get their next clue.
Frank & Margarita arrive at Fish Lake. Frank notices that Brennan is done with the task.
Reading their next clue, Rob & Brennan are informed to fly to New York City, New York and find Vincent Daniels Square, where their next clue is located. Frank & Margarita get their next clue. Frank decides to perform the task.
Rob & Brennan begin driving to the airport.
Frank submerges himself in the cold water and quickly gets the clue. Reading the clue, the two Queens natives are excited that the next route marker is located in Queens. After redressing, Frank & Margarita head to the airport. They begin getting cocky that they'll be going to their home turf.
Worried that Frank & Margarita will win, Rob & Brennan pull over at a gas station and attempt to purchase a local's cell phone to call the airport. They find a lady willing to give them her phone. Rob promises that he will mail it back to her in the following day or two. Back in the car, Rob begins to call Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport to find a flight. Rob books a flight from Anchorage to Newark via Seattle. After booking the flight, he and Brennan mull over if they want to book the remaining eight seats on the flight to screw over Frank & Margarita. They decide not to, thinking it's an underhanded tactic.
Meanwhile, Team Guido make their way to Matanuska Glacier, finding the Roadblock, which involves a team member climbing the glacier to get their next clue. Joe volunteers Bill to do the task. Bill begins to climb.
- “We're just now again focused on the end. Believe me, we're going to go balls to the wall. We're going to just zoom right past them, not even look back.”— Joe
Bill finishes the task, and they make their way to Highway Mile Marker 131. Getting to Highway Mile Marker 131, they take snowmobiles to the Pit Stop at Wilderness Cabin.
- “Who knows? Maybe Frank and Margarita and Rob and Brennan fell off their Ski-Doos and froze in the snow and we're in first place.”— Joe
Getting to the Pit Stop, they learn that they are the final team to arrive. They head into the cabin for their rest period.
- “I think there is a way to catch up.”— Joe
- “We're very hopeful that we can make up 24 hours and that can happen very easily if you're caught up at an airport.”— Bill
Both Frank & Margarita and Rob & Brennan arrive at the airport. Both teams head to ticketing. While Margarita checks Northwest, Rob & Brennan arrive at a nearby counter Frank is at. They inform the ticket attendant not to say the flight aloud, and that they already have booked flights. Rob attempt to get the attendant to have their middle names be the names listed on the flight so Frank & Margarita cannot see they're on the flight.
Frank & Margarita are able to find seats on the same flight to Newark that Rob & Brennan are on. Brennan tells Rob the news. Frank says that the lawyers are always following them, thinking that they're currently trying to get on the same flight as him and Margarita. They decide to have the ticket attendant put them as far forward as they can on the second flight in an attempt to give them an advantage.
The teams fly to Seattle. As Frank & Margarita wait for the second flight, Rob & Brennan go into a bookstore to find travel books on New York City.
- “Margarita: I think our knowledge give us a heads up in lead in the sense of not panicking. I don't think we'll panic as much because we know exactly where we are. I think our state of mind will be a lot more-
Frank: We'll be in our comfort zone.
Margarita: Yeah. We'll see. I don't want to lose in our hometown.”
- “That's going to wrap up in New York City, and I think we're going to have to pull something out of our hat to win.”— Rob
- “We'll see what happens, but it's going to be tough.”— Brennan
- “Competitively, I feel a lot of adrenaline right now and I want to beat them.”— Margarita
- “It would totally change our lives. I mean, you know, I think Rob and Brennan's lives will pretty much stay. They live in a penthouse in Hollywood. I don't know, I feel like we have so much more riding on it.”— Frank
- “We want to, like, whip their asses right now. I want to see that look "What happened?"”— Margarita
- “I just want to win.”— Frank
Both teams board the flight to Newark.
- “I feel like they haven't been as good sports as we have.”— Margarita
- “After thirteen legs, you do get weary, and it's about time for it to be done with, and we hope we stand in the winner's circle, but we are at a disadvantage. We're the underdogs in this final part.”— Rob
- “I didn't do this to lose. We have to win this.”— Margarita
Back in Alaska, Joe & Bill depart for the final leg. They are informed to follow the trail on snowshoes. They begin their hike to the lodge.
- “I have likened myself to Bill Clinton's presidency. Bill Clinton had to save his presidency and pull it out no less than four times over the last eight years. Bill Clinton has termed himself "The Comeback Kid" and I'm hoping when all this is said and done, I'm going to meet Bill Clinton because he's got two of their comeback kids over here too. So I think we can probably pull it off.”— Bill
Waiting for the Takosha Lodge to open, Joe & Bill head in a nearby cabin.
- “The flight to New York, very surreal. This is it. I mean, we know New York City is the end. I'm nervous, but there's no way we're going to be able to take Frank and Margarita in their home borough of Queens, knowing that's where we need to go.”— Brennan
- “If I can make an observation, they're scared. They're very scared. I can see it in their eyes.”— Frank
Frank & Margarita and Rob & Brennan arrive in Newark.
- “So here we are, 30 days and 30,000 miles into this competition and we are literally across a plane aisle from the only team remaining that can beat us. It's amazing to think that after all this time it's going to come down to- the race has started all over again.”— Brennan
- “It's a horse race right now and two really good teams, and we'll see what happens.”— Rob
Both teams begin to push one another in a rush to get out of the airport.
- “Speed is tactically the issue at the moment. We've got to be able to move as quickly as we can.”— Rob
The race has now become a sprint to get out of the airport.
- “If they do use their little tactic of following us, I've already figured out ways of throwing them off the trail. If we can get out of the airport and we're all coming down together, I may give them the opportunity to jump in the cab first, take their route, then I know faster routes to get to this one particular spot.”— Frank
Frank & Margarita find a cab first, but have trouble with the cabbie. Rob & Brennan find a taxi queue, and get themselves a taxi to Vincent Daniels Square. They are first to leave. Frank & Margarita switch cabs.
While Rob & Brennan give the cabbie simply give them the location (51st and Roosevelt Avenue), Frank immediately begins to spout directions to their driver how to get there.
Frank & Margarita have their driver take the highway to the Triborough Bridge in an attempt to bypass the Manhattan side streets. Rob & Brennan's driver takes them through Holland Tunnel in Manhattan.
Rob & Brennan hop out of their cab to get to the nearby square. They pick up their final clue, informing them to take the adjacent elevated railway station, where they will need to get off at the Shea Stadium stop and follow the flags to Flushing Meadows Park to cross the Finish Line. They get to the railway station.
Frank & Margarita find the square, getting their final clue. They head to the railway station.
Rob & Brennan purchase their tickets and board the train. The train leaves with just them aboard.
Frank & Margarita get tickets and wait for the next train to arrive. They hope that Rob & Brennan don't arrive while they wait.
- “The competitor in me wants dearly to win. I mean, wants dearly to win and can't stomach the thought of losing to someone else. I think if I stand on that winner's mat, I don't think it's going to be the money that's running through my head. It's going to be just the sense of unbelievable accomplishment and pride. and what I did and what I did with my teammate together.”— Rob
The train Frank & Margarita arrives, and they are excited to finish the race.
- “You know, I have, like, all these little different pieces of motivation, you know, and they all are kind of sitting there right in front of me like, beat Rob and Brennan, be number one. I see my daughter's face, like, in the horizon, like she's there, just go for it. All these different things.”— Margarita
Frank & Margarita board there train as Rob & Brennan exit theirs. Rob & Brennan run out of the station. Margarita begins to jump with joy. Frank points out the building he grew up at while on the train.
Rob & Brennan leave the station and see the flags. They sprint past the flags. The eliminated teams begin cheering for the finalists. Rob & Brennan cross the Finish Line. Phil officially annouces them as the winners of The Amazing Race. They humbly thank the other contestants for their competition during the race.
Frank & Margarita exit the station. They begin running on the path of the flags. Margarita even hears the teams cheering as well.
- “We got around that bend, heard all the cheering of the contestants. I just figured, like, they're cheering, that's another good sign, like, you know, we did it. We won, we won, we won.”— Margarita
Despite thinking they were ahead of Rob & Brennan, they notice they are already at the Finish Line.
- “He [Frank] looks at me and he's like, "Rob and Brennan are here". I was like, "Rob and Brennan are here?" That wasn't supposed to happen.”— Margarita
Despite finding themselves in second, they still smile as they cross the Finish Line.
Back in Alaska, Takosha Lodge, Joe & Bill find a note in the clue box informing them that Rob & Brennan have already crossed the Finish Line. They are shocked, but state they are glad they won.
- “You know, nothing was changed about our relationship. Everything was enhanced by the race. It proved to us everything we knew about each other was true and enhanced everything about our relationship.”— Joe
- “We have learned so much on this race. We're changed forever. It's fantastic.”— Bill
Back in New York City, the eliminated teams begin congratulating the two finalists.
- “It became so clear to me it was this trip that was the fresh start for us, and that was when we started making the real steps towards, you know, building something new and sort of falling in love again.”— Margarita
- “I say Rob and Brennan may have won a million dollars, but I think we won so much more.”— Frank
- “The things that we saw were unreal and we won a game that's fine, but I'll never ever be able to forget the things that I saw and you know, I did it with my best friend and there can't be anything better than that.”— Rob
- “The experiences that I had, the places I went, the people that I met, the relationships that I've built, both with Rob and with other contestants, I hope will continue on for the rest of my life.”— Brennan
The order of departure from the Wilderness Cabin is as follows:
Teams had to use snowshoes and follow the flags 1 mile (1.6 km) to Takosha Lodge for the next clue.
Choice A: Dog Power
Teams must ride a dog sled 11 miles (18 km) to reach their next clue and a vehicle they could use.
Choice B: Horsepower
Teams must use a much-faster snowmobile to ride 30 miles (48 km) to the same marked path, but their course is three times as long.
None of the teams chose this task.
Joe & Bill were no longer required to perform this task as Rob & Brennan already reached the Finish Line when they were just about to perform the Detour.
Teams must drive themselves to Fish Lake in Talkeetna for their next clue.
For the final Roadblock of the race, one team member had to strip down to their underwear or a bathing suit and plunge into the freezing waters of Fish Lake with temperatures as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit, completely submerge their heads, and then swim to their next clue.
Joe & Bill were no longer required to perform this task as Rob & Brennan already reached the Finish Line when they were just about to perform the Detour.
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer in Non-Elimination Leg • Saved from elimination by the Salvage Pass or The Save • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward
- This is the last episode in the US version that has a production named title rather than a quote from a person or instruction.
- The first leg to take place entirely in the United States.
- The DVD commentary for this episode was done by Rob & Brennan and Joe & Bill.
- Andy Dehnart at realityblurred (12/14/2001): "Rob & Brennan win The Amazing Race"
|The Amazing Race 1 Episode List|
"The Race Begins" · "Divide and Conquer" · "Home for Some" · "Colossal Showdown" · "Desert Storm" · "Whatever It Takes to Win" · "Triumph and Loss" · "Competition to the Fullest" · "The Unexpected Twist" · "To the Physical and Mental Limit" · "Fight to the Last Minute" · "Race to the Finish (Part 1)" · "Race to the Finish (Part 2)"