|Meredith & Gretchen|
|Members|| Meredith Smith|
|Birth Dates||November 5, 1935 (Meredith)|
|Age|| 69 (Meredith)|
|Occupation|| Retired executive (Meredith)|
Retired flight attendant/nurse (Gretchen)
|Roadblock Count|| Meredith: 6|
|Countries raced|| |
Meredith Smith and Gretchen Smith are a Married/Retired team on The Amazing Race 7.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Meredith & Gretchen are a husband/wife team from Easton, Maryland. Meredith is a retired executive and Gretchen is a retired nurse/flight attendant. Both found love late in their lives, and they are spending every moment making up for lost time. Their inspiration for participating in the Race is strictly for the adventure and the challenge of traveling around the world.
Meredith is a retired executive who spends his time fishing, biking, playing golf and teaching swimming. Father of three sons, Meredith is an avid swimmer who holds seven National Masters Swimming Championship titles. Meredith describes himself as competitive, articulate and compassionate.
Gretchen is a retired flight attendant and registered nurse. Mother of two, Gretchen spends most of her time cooking, biking, gardening and golfing. Gretchen describes herself as outgoing, reliable and kind, and she admits to being quite loud, particularly when she's upset.
Both are big fans of the show, and while watching one evening, they said to each other, "We could do that. Let's try."
The Amazing Race 7
|Meredith & Gretchen's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Peru||Rope a Llama / Rope a Basket||No Roadblock||6 of 11|
|2||2||Peru → Chile||Shop / Schlep||Gretchen||7 of 10|
|3||3||Chile → Argentina||Paddle / Pedal||Meredith||7 of 9|||
|4||4||Argentina||Shipwreck / Island||Meredith||7 of 8|
|5||5||Argentina → South Africa||Tunnels / Tribes||Gretchen||7 of 7|
|6||South Africa → Botswana||Food / Water||Meredith||5 of 7|
|6||7||Botswana||Carry It / Milk It||Meredith||5 of 6|||
|8||8||Botswana → India||Solid / Liquid||Gretchen||5 of 5|||
|9||Trunk / Dunk||Meredith||4 of 5|
|10||9||India → Turkey||Columns / Kilos||Gretchen||2 of 4|
|11||10||Turkey → United Kingdom||Brains / Brawn||Meredith||4 of 4|
1: Meredith decided to forfeit the Roadblock and was issued a 4-hour penalty at the Roadblock site starting from the arrival of the next team.
2: Meredith & Gretchen initially arrived 4th, but they missed their final clue at the end of the Roadblock, Lynn & Alex checked in during that time period, dropping them to 5th.
3: Leg 8 was double-length with two Detours and two Roadblocks shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the leg's halfway point.
- Meredith & Gretchen are tied with Don & Mary Jean for the oldest team to compete, with both teams having an age average of 67.5 years at the time of racing.
- First team to have all of their possessions taken away for finishing last in an Non-Elimination Leg.
- First team to be eliminated in England.
- Highest finish by a team with an age average of over 60, 4th place.
- Lowest average placing team who came in 4th, 5.40.
- In 2010, it was reported that Meredith, a member of the Easton Club in his hometown, scored a pair of hole-in-ones within a 33-day span.
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (05/05/2005): "Amazing Eldest Couple"
- Cynthia Wang at People (05/05/2005): "The Amazing Race's Meredith and Gretchen"
- Ethan Alter at TV Guide Online (05/08/2005): "Amazing Race's Oldsters Sound Off"
Social Media Profiles
- Gretchen's Facebook: /gretchen.kaisersmith
|The Amazing Race 7 Teams|