|Mel & Mike|
|Members|| Mel White|
|Birth Dates|| July 26, 1940 (Mel)|
June 28, 1970 (Mike)
|Age|| 68, 70 (Mel)|
38, 40 (Mike)
|Hometown|| Lynchburg, VA (Mel)|
Santa Monica, CA (Mike)
Season 14 Edit
Mike and Mel had a pretty typical family life until Mike was 11 years old, which is when Mel told the family that he was gay. Mel and Mike’s mother remained married until Mike and his sister, Erinn, went to college. Mel is now married to his life partner of 27 years, Gary Nixon.
Mike works as a writer, director and actor in Los Angeles. His writing credits include the feature films "Nacho Libre" and "School of Rock," in which he also starred opposite Jack Black and Sarah Silverman, as well as the television series "Pasadena." Mike and Mel are eager to spend some quality time racing around the globe. Mike describes himself as entertaining, thoughtful and “ridiculously pale.” These two might not be the most physical team on the Race, but they’ll surely compensate with their wit and communication skills.
Mel, a gay-rights activist, has worked as a writer, professor, filmmaker and a pastor and is eager to have a once in a lifetime experience with his youngest child. He’s confident that his people skills will give him an advantage over some of the other Racers. He describes himself as energetic, caring and passionate and enjoys scuba diving and racquetball. When asked who he would model his style of game play after, he pointed to Season 7 winners Uchenna and Joyce, while Mike will model his game play after the "never say die" attitude of Charla & Mirna.
Mike and Mel are well-traveled, opinionated and huge fans of the Race.
Unfinished Business Edit
- Age: 68 (Season 14); 70 (Unfinished Business)
- Hometown: Lynchburg, Va.
- Connection to your Teammate: Father
- Current Occupation: Writer and activist
- Previous Season/Result: Season 14/6th place
- Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Not insisting that we take the fast forward, use our remaining funds to support an orphanage in Thailand, and jump to the front of the line (instead of being eliminated).
- Most memorable moment from your first Race: Soaring out over the Bavarian Alps.
- Favorite place you visited on your first season: Siberia, I expected gulags and icebergs. Instead, I discovered great cities, friendly people and one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world, Novosibirsk.
- Why do you want to run the Race again? To spend quality, even though stressful, time with my son and to enjoy the Race wholeheartedly.
- How have you changed since the last time you competed? Now that I'm 70 years old I've joined a very elite number of old racers. Now, I feel like I am representing everyone that is older than 70, and I don't want to fail them.
- What are you passionate about? Helping young gay men see why "it does get better." The recent increase in suicide among gay men breaks my heart.
- People would be surprised to learn: My partner, Gary, and we were married in California on June 18, 2009 after spending almost 30 years together.
- One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Galapagos Islands or Bhutan, the "happiest" country in Asia.
- Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: At 70, I will probably be the oldest person on the Race. My son, at age 40, will also be one of the older Racers. Together, we are 110 years old!
- What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): I want to stay in the Race at least as long as last time so that I won't disappoint my son.
- Pet peeve about your teammate: He wants us to pack so lightly that we will probably freeze in cold weather and dehydrate when it's hot.
- What would you do if you won the million dollars? I will use the money to help the 58 orphans at the Ne Future for Children home and school in Phnom Pen, Cambodia.
- Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: Never stop racing; read the clues more carefully; quit worrying and enjoy THE AMAZING RACE.
- Age: 38 (Season 14); 40 (Unfinished Business)
- Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
- Connection to your Teammate: Son
- Current Occupation: Writer
- Previous Season/Result: Season 14/6th place
- Most memorable moment from your first Race: Watching my dad paraglide over the Alps.
- Favorite place you visited on your first season: India because it was so beautiful, colorful and strange.
- Why do you want to run the Race again? Because I want to have the adventure and the experience with my father.
- How have you changed since the last time you competed? I turned 40.
- What are you passionate about? Animals.
- People would be surprised to learn: I don't eat dairy or meat.
- One location that you hope to go on this adventure: African safari because I've never been and I think it would be cool to see the exotic animals in their natural habitat.
- Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: My dad is 70 and I think physical challenges will be tricky.
- What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): Getting another chance to grow closer to my pops.
- Pet peeve about your teammate: His frequent use of puns.
- What would you do if you won the million dollars? I'd give my parents the retirement years they deserve.
- Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We need to leave less up to luck and stay with the pack.
The Amazing Race 14Edit
Race History Edit
- Leg 1: 4th
- Leg 2: 2nd
- Leg 3: 1st
- Leg 4: 6th
- Leg 5: 4th
- Leg 6: 2nd
- Leg 7: 6th (Eliminated)
The Amazing Race 18: Unfinished BusinessEdit
Race History Edit
- Leg 1: 9th
- Leg 2: 6th
- Leg 3: 10th (Eliminated)
- Mike, oldest child in a parent/child team, 40.
- Mel, age 70, the oldest male contestant on the show.
- Mike, first bisexual contestant.
- Oldest male team ever, 55.
- Oldest family team, 55.
- Oldest parent/child team in the history of the race, 55.
- Oldest parent/child team to win a leg, 53.
- Oldest male team to win a leg, 53.
- Season 14 Biography
- Unfinished Business Biography
- Mel White - Wikipedia Article
- Mike White - Wikipedia Article
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26)
|The Amazing Race 14 Teams|
|The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business Teams|