|Margie & Luke|
|Teammates|| Margie O'Donnell|
Margie O'Donnell (formerly Adams) and Luke Adams are a Mother/Son team on the 14th season of The Amazing Race, the Unfinished Business season of The Amazing Race, and the second all-star season of The Amazing Race.
- Age: 50 (Season 14), 52 (Unfinished Business), 54 (All-Stars)
- Hometown: Denver, Colorado
- Age: 22 (season 14), 24 (Unfinished Business), 26 (All-Stars)
- Hometown: Denver, Colorado
- Luke is deaf and communicates with American Sign Language.
This mother/son team is determined to show the world that nothing can stop them from living out their dreams. They enjoy hiking and traveling together and share a strong bond. Luke has been deaf since birth and Margie became his link to the hearing world. He uses American Sign Language to communicate.
Luke and his mother have developed their own short hand sign language and the ability to almost read each other’s mind – an ability that will undoubtedly come in handy on the road. One of the most moving moments they shared was when Luke surprised his mother by delivering a valedictorian speech at his graduation ceremony from Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.
Margie is looking at this experience as a great opportunity to spend quality time with her son. She describes herself as competitive and a little controlling, but in a good way. She is willing to go anywhere the Race takes her and isn't afraid of adventure. She enjoys hiking and running while Luke also enjoys hiking and biking. Luke describes himself as talkative, determined and adventurous.
Luke hopes to be a role-model for deaf people everywhere while proving that the deaf can do just about anything and to never think otherwise. He believes his knowledge on the topic of anything and everything Race related - he’s one of the biggest fans of the show ever - will help his team win.
Margie and Luke are excited to see new places, experience new foods and learn about different cultures – all the while fulfilling a shared dream – to compete and win "The Amazing Race."
Luke is also openly gay. He came out his mother at the age of 19 (three years prior) via text message, and his mother accepted him immediately, much to his surprise. She says "So what? You're still my son!". At first they also told the producers about this, but eventually the producers choose to not to openly informing this, because they want to focus on Luke's appearance as a deaf person.
- Leg 1: 1st
- Leg 2: 4th
- Leg 3: 4th
- Leg 4: 4th (U-Turned Amanda & Kris)
- Leg 5: 1st
- Leg 6: 4th
- After checking in, Margie collapses into Luke's arms.
- The medical team cools off Margie.
- Leg 7: 4th
- Leg 8: 1st
- Leg 9: 3rd
- Leg 10: (2nd) 2nd
- Leg 11: 3rd
- Leg 1: 7th
- Leg 2: 5th
- Leg 3: 8th
- Leg 4: 1st
- Leg 5: 3rd
- Leg 6: 8th (Eliminated)
- Leg 1: 4th
- Leg 2: 2nd
- Leg 3: 4th
- Leg 4: 7th
- Leg 5: 8th (Eliminated)
- Winning leg 1, host Phil Keoghan, after greeting Margie and Luke, silently signed "You are team number one." (Subtitles were provided.)
- During leg 7 in Thailand, Margie fainted at the Pit Stop due to dehydration.
- Margie raged at Kisha for laughing at her son.
- Fell short of their victory when Luke struggled at the final Roadblock.
- Eliminated in Kolkata, India when Luke struggled at a tea tasting Roadblock
- Struggling along with Brendon & Rachel on the detour in leg 4.
- Luke dropping and breaking the cocktail glasses after melting down at the leg 4 detour.
- Eliminated after taking and missing a different connection to Colombo, Sri Lanka than the other teams, arriving hours behind.
- Highest average placing parent/child team, 2.82
- Highest finish by a mother/son team, 3rd Place.
- Most legs won by a parent/child team in a career, 4 legs.
- Youngest mother/son team to win a leg, 36.
- First team with a deaf player to be eliminated from the race.
- Most legs won by a parent/child team in a Season, 3 legs (tied with Ron & Christina and Gary & Mallory).
- Luke is the second deaf contestant (after Adrian Yap of Adrian & Collin).
- First parent/child team to participate in three separate seasons.
- Luke is the first deaf contestant to never fall below 4th place in a single season.
- First team to be eliminated on their third race.
- Third team to finish in the same position in two seasons, 8th place (with Oswald & Danny, 4th, Kent & Vyxsin, 5th)
- Highest average placing male/female team who came in 3rd, 2.82
- Most legs won by a male/female team who came in 3rd, 3 legs.
- Luke, the first deaf contestant.
- Youngest mother/son team, 36.
- 2nd Mother/Son team to finish in 8th place (after Susan & Patrick).
- Oldest team in the Final Three, 36.
- Lowest finish by a team who won a leg, 8th place.
- Only Mother/Son team on the race
- Luke is the second person to be openly gay in a mother/son team. The first was Patrick of Susan & Patrick from season 7.
- Also Margie & Luke and Susan & Patrick both finished 8th in their season.
- Margie is the first woman to run the race three times.
- Twitter: @LukeAdams14
- Season 14 Biography
- Unfinished Business Biography
- Margie & Luke - Amazing Race Wetpaint
- Facebook: Facebook.com/DeafRacer
- Facebook: Facebook.com/margie.e.odonnell
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24)
|The Amazing Race 14 Teams|
|The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business Teams|
|The Amazing Race: All-Stars (2014) Teams|
Comment bummer Margie and Luke got eliminated without seeing them do any detour and roadblock they did it though but had to be skipped to the end sucks huh. Reminds me of chester and Ephraim had the same suffering without going to the pit stop(season 23)