|Henry & Bernie|
|Teammates|| Henry Chan|
Bernadette "Bernie" Chan
Henry Chan and Bernadette "Bernie" Chan are a Brother/Sister team on the 3rd season of The Amazing Race Asia.
- Age: 43
- Hometown: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Age: 39
- Hometown: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Fans of Asian reality television might recognize model and host Bernie Chan – she was the face of Project Runway Malaysia last year. But few would recognize her race teammate and elder brother, Henry Chan.
It is not because the 43 year old isn’t famous, but rather because the chef and restaurant owner has had reconstructive surgery done in late 2006. “In Aug 2006, I fell over and broke my jaw very badly. I’ve had reconstructive surgery on my face and mouth, but I’m all fixed up now,” says Henry Chan with a gleaming smile that shows no record of his accident.
But it is what’s inside that counts and the siblings are hoping that their 39 year old relationship will give them an edge. Says Bernie, 39, “Finding the right partner to do it with is half the race won and Hen is the only person who understands what I’m trying to say half the time.”
Hen, of course, is her nickname for her brother, in response to the name Bernie he coined, since he could not pronounce her actual name, Bernadette, as a child.
“I thought it would be fun, stressful but fun. I love traveling and I thought, if I get in, it would be the biggest challenge of my life,” she adds.
Sums up Henry on the natural choice of picking each other as teammate, “We don’t really fight, we think alike and we get on crazily well.”
But if there is one thing the siblings do not share, is their behavior. Henry is the more contemplative of the two, preferring to sit back and analyze the situation while his sister leaps at every available opportunity. Like Henry says, “I tend to think about things too much, while she tends to just act and think about things later.”
Explains Bernie, “I’m too impulsive! If I want to do something, it has to be done now,” and adds, “My strategy is to try and stay calm but with have a sense of urgency and just go with our instinct. Luck plays a big part too which to me comes with being positive and happy, which Hen and I are.”
As for preparing, one thing Henry did have to pick up was learning how to drive a manual transmission. Naturally, his coach was his baby sister and given their hectic schedule, it wasn’t the best of lessons. Groans Henry, “Bernie gave me a crash-course in the pouring rain, at night, in peak hour Kuala Lumpur traffic.
But learn he did and the driving lessons show the extent that the duo has worked together. Admits Bernie, “Even though I shout at Hen, he will know it’s not personal and in the next second we will be buddies again. And he won’t quit on me.”
Quitting is the last thing on Henry’s mind though, as he had already mapped out a plan on how to celebrate if they win. “We go back to one of the favourite countries we visited in the race but this time round, we do it in five-star style.”
Asia Season 3Edit
- Leg 1: 3rd
- Leg 2: 1st
- Leg 3: 1st
- Leg 4: 4th
- Leg 5: 2nd
- Leg 6: 2nd
- Leg 7: 4th
- Leg 8: 5th (Eliminated)
- In Leg 3, Henry swerved the cyclo too much to one side and it slammed into a car, causing him to lose control of the vehicle and he takes a fall, causing the vehicle Bernie is sitting on to topple over.
- Eliminated because they missed their connecting flight in Mumbai and they could never keep up to Vince & Sam when they took a slower Detour task.
- Highest average placing male/female team who came in 5th, 2.75
- Highest average placing male/female team who won a leg and come in 5th, 2.75
- Highest average placing team who were the 6th team to be eliminated, 2.75
- Highest average placing team who won a leg and be the 6th team to be eliminated, 2.75
- Oldest brother/sister team, 41.
- Oldest team to win 2 legs in a career, 41.
- Oldest male/female team to be the 6th team to be eliminated, 41.
- Oldest male/female team to win a leg and be the 6th team to be eliminated, 41.
- Oldest team of siblings to win a leg, 41.
- Highest average placing team who came in 5th, 2.75
- Highest average placing team who won a leg and come in 5th, 2.75
- Highest average placing team who didn't earn a spot in the Final Three, 2.75
- Most legs won by a team who came in 5th, 2 legs (tied with Andy & Laura and Ethan & Khairie).
- Oldest team, 41.
- Most legs won by a male/female team, 2 legs (tied with Geoff & Tisha).
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
US (1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22)
|The Amazing Race Asia 3 Teams|
|A.D. & Fuzzie · Geoff & Tisha · Henry & Bernie · Ida & Tania · Isaac & William · Mai & Oliver · Neena & Amit · Niroo & Kapil · Pailin & Natalie · Vince & Sam|