|"Head Down and Hold On"|
The eleven teams who want redemption at the starting line.
|Episode Number||1/11 (204)|
|First Broadcast||February 20, 2011|
|Previous|| "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm In a Race"|
|Next||"I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life"|
Head Down and Hold On is the season premiere of The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business.
Teams have to search through a field containing hundreds of paper airplanes with various words written on them for one matching the clue "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services", and have to figure out that this was a reference to Qantas, which are written on the correct airplanes. Once teams present a correct airplane to Phil, he will give them their first clue and tickets for one of two flights to their first destination, Sydney, Australia. The first eight teams got tickets for the first flight, and the last three teams got tickets for a flight that left 90 minutes after the first. In addition, the last team to complete the task would be penalized with a U-Turn on the Race's first Detour.
The order when teams found their paper airplane are as follows:
- Mel & Mike
- Zev & Justin
- Jet & Cord
- Kent & Vyxsin
- Ron & Christina
- Flight Time & Big Easy
- Margie & Luke
- Jaime & Cara
- Kisha & Jen
- Gary & Mallory
- Amanda & Kris
Upon arrival at Sydney Airport, teams had to travel by train to Circular Quay in Sydney Harbour, they then took a ferry to Manly and made their way to Oceanworld Manly where they would search the area for a clue box containing their next clue.
The team member assigned to perform the Roadblock would have to scuba dive in the Oceanworld shark and ray tank and search the tank for a compass. The compass included a guide to decode a message hidden in series of nautical flags outside. The correctly decoded message instructed teams to go to the Manly 16 ft Skiff Sailing Club, find the Commodore, and tell him the phrase "I am Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" to receive their next clue.
The Roadblock performers per team are underlined:
Teams have to change into wet suits, then join a sailing crew and ride a 16ft Skiff through a race course to a series of buoys that have their next clue.
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer in Non-Elimination Leg • Saved from elimination by the Salvage Pass or The Save • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward• ϵ Used the Express Pass
• ⊂ User of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⊃ Recipient of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⋐ User of the second Double U-Turn slot • ⋑ Recipient of the second Double U-Turn slot • ∪ Was penalized with an automatic U-Turn
- This marks the first time a team is penalized with an automatic U-Turn at the first Detour, although the penalty would not apply until the next leg.
- This episode's title is said by a sailing instructor to Jaime & Cara as they almost tipped overboard.
- This leg marks the first time in which there is no rest period between two legs.
- This marks the first time no team is eliminated in the first leg, as Eric & Lisa were eliminated at the Starting Line of The Amazing Race 15 on the first leg.
- Michael Slezak at TV Line (02/21/2011): "Season Premiere Recap: Swimming With Sharks"