|Don & Mary Jean|
|Members|| Donald St. Claire|
Mary Jean St. Claire
|Birth Dates|| January 10, 1935 (Don)|
October 13, 1938 (Mary Jean)
|Hometown||Portola Valley, California|
|Occupation|| Physician (Don)|
Interior designer (Mary Jean)
|Roadblock Count|| Don: 2|
Mary Jean: 2
|Countries raced|| |
Don St. Claire and Mary Jean St. Claire are a team of Grandparents on The Amazing Race 6.
Don & Mary Jean have been married for 20 years and live in Portola Valley, California. Between them they have six children and 16 grandchildren, all from previous marriages. They met almost 27 years ago through mutual friends while they were both married to other people. Donald is a physician, and Mary Jean is an interior designer.
Donald & Mary Jean live for adventure and travel. They have already traveled to six continents and believe that their combined travel experience will make them successful contenders in the Race. They are looking forward to all of the challenges that the Race may bring their way, especially the extreme tasks.
They have been through a lot together, including a near-death experience when their boat of eight people capsized in the South Pacific, throwing Donald onto a coral reef and Mary Jean into the water. The locals later told them that they held a memorial service for them, thinking that there was no way they could survive the treacherous water. The couple survived this horrific experience and emerged with a greater zest for life.
Before being selected for the Race, Mary Jean's most recent accomplishment is losing 23 pounds on Dr. Phil's diet, and Donald's is being an award-winning winemaker.
Although they are the oldest couple on this Race, Donald, 69, and Mary Jean, 65, believe that their life experience and appetite for adventure will be a key asset in winning THE AMAZING RACE.
The Amazing Race 6
|Don & Mary Jean's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Iceland||Ice Climb / Ice Search||No Roadblock||9 of 11|
|2||2||Iceland → Norway||Endurance / Accuracy||Don||7 of 10|||
|3||3||Norway → Sweden||Count It / Build It||Don||8 of 9|
|4||4||Sweden → Senegal||Stack 'Em Up / Pull 'Em Out||Mary Jean||8 of 8|
|5||5||Senegal → Germany||Beers / Brats||Mary Jean||8 of 8|
1: Don & Mary Jean had arrived in 7th place in Leg 2, but they mistakenly drove the car that belonged to Adam & Rebecca. They left in 8th place at the beginning of Leg 3 after they were issued a 30-minute penalty.
- The couple were interviewed for the book "My Ox Is Broken!" but was not included as the conversation recording came out broken.
- They did admit they got a generous portrayal as their arguments were edited out.
- Oldest team at an average of 67.5 (tied with Meredith & Gretchen).
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (12/14/2004): "Old Amazing Racers Chat"
- Cynthia Wang at People (12/16/2004): "Don & Mar Jean St. Clair"
- Ethan Alter at TV Guide Online (12/20/2004): "TAR's Supercool Seniors"
- FansOfRealityTV (12/20/2004): "Our Interview with Don and Mary Jean"
- Jane Knoerle at The Almanac (03/02/2005): "An Amazing Race: Portola Valley's Don and Mary Jean St. Claire travel the globe on CBS reality show"
- TARflies (04/16/2005): "The Agony of da Bears"
Social Media Profiles
- Mary Jean's Facebook: /mary.j.claire
|The Amazing Race 6 Teams|