|BJ & Tyler|
|Members|| Brian Jeffrey Averell|
|Age|| 26 (BJ)|
|Hometown|| Los Angeles, CA (BJ)|
San Francisco, CA (Tyler)
|Occupation|| Online Tutor (BJ)|
|Roadblock Count|| BJ: 6|
|Countries raced|| |
BJ Averell and Tyler MacNiven are a team of Best Friends on the 9th season of The Amazing Race. They are commonly known as "The Hippies".
Retrieved from CBS.com 
BJ & Tyler are bohemian best buds who first met four years ago during the Semester at Sea program, where they shared the experience of sailing around the world. One of their most memorable moments was starting a dance party in the streets of downtown Guilin, China, which turned into a mass gathering of hundreds of Chinese men. They have been friends ever since, whether bouncing on trampolines at Burning Man or spontaneously swimming in the San Francisco Bay.
BJ is a graduate of Harvard University, while Tyler graduated from UC Santa Cruz after completing two semesters abroad—one in Hungary, the other in South Africa. Both have traveled the world extensively and speak several languages including Spanish and Japanese.
Both BJ and Tyler share a love of adventure, travel, and good times. After graduating from college, BJ moved to California to pursue surfing, karate and frisbee. Meanwhile, Tyler fell in love with a Japanese girl and decided to impress her by walking the 2000-mile length of Japan.
Their primary motivation for taking part in THE AMAZING RACE is to share in the adventure of racing around the world, meeting new people and, of course, winning $1 million.
The Amazing Race 9
|BJ & Tyler's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Brazil||Motor Head / Rotor Head||No Roadblock||2 of 11|
|2||2||Brazil||Press It / Climb It||BJ||1 of 10|
|3||3||Brazil → Russia → Germany||Scrub / Scour||Tyler||4 of 9|||
|4||Break It / Slap It||BJ||2 of 9|
|5||4||Germany → Italy||Foundry / Laundry||Tyler||1 of 8|
|6||5||Italy||Big Fish / Little Fish||BJ||2 of 7|
|7||6||Italy → Greece||Herculean Effort / It's All Greek to Me||Tyler||5 of 6|||
|8||7||Greece → Oman||Camel / Watchtower||BJ||5 of 5|
|9||8||Oman → Australia||Sand / Sea||Tyler||3 of 5|
|10||9||Australia||Dry / Wet||BJ||4 of 4>|
|11||10||Australia → Thailand||Used Fast Forward||1 of 4►|
|12||11||Thailand → Japan||Maiden / Messenger||Tyler||1 of 3|
|12||Japan → United States||Drill It / Deliver It||BJ||1 of 3|
1: Leg 3 was double-length, with two Detours and two Roadblocks, shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the leg's halfway point.
2: BJ & Tyler initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 15-minute penalty for taking a bus instead of a train all the way to the Isthmos Train Station. Their placement was not affected.
- Along with Chip & Kim, BJ and Tyler were frustrated by the lack of contact from CBS regarding a possible invite for The Amazing Race: All-Stars.
- First winning team to use both the Fast Forward and the Yield.
- CBS.com featured them for a 'National Best Friend Day' celebration slideshow in 2015.
- Abe J. Riesman at The Harvard Crimson (03/01/2006): "For Grad, Art Imitates Life’s “Amazing Race”
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (05/18/2006): "Team Hippie Takes Amazing Race 9"
- Jenn Basler at RealityNewsOnline (05/23/2006): "This Interview is the Most James Bond Interview We've Ever Had!"
- Rochell D. Thomas at TV Guide Online (05/24/2006): "Amazing Hippies Make Bucks, Not War!"
- Jane Knoerle at The Almanac (05/24/2006): "Tyler MacNiven and partner win $1 million on Amazing Race"
- TARflies interview (05/31/2006): "Hip, Hip(pie), Hooray!"
- Rob at RRF Radio (06/07/2006): "BJ & Tyler Interview - Reality TV Podcast #53"
Social Media Profiles
- BJ's Facebook: /bj.averell
- BJ's Twitter: @thisisbj
- BJ's YouTube: /UCfHIEI3bF-IqzVICwf99kVA
- BJ's Wikipedia page: B.J. Averall
- Tyler's Wikipedia page: Tyler MacNiven
- Tyler's Facebook: /tyler.macniven
- Tyler's Twitter: @sfsecrets
- Tyler's YouTube: /tylermacniven
- Tyler's Website: http://www.tylermacniven.com/
|The Amazing Race 9 Teams|