|"Are You Sure This is Safe?"|
|Episode Number||7/12 (055)|
|First Broadcast||August 17, 2004|
|Viewership (in millions)||8.70|
|Previous||"Why Can't We Get a Camel?"|
|Next||"I'm Going to Jail"|
Are You Sure This is Safe? is the seventh episode of The Amazing Race 5.
Six remaining teams fly from Cairo to Tanzania and must navigate through the local town to get their next clues.
Harsh words are exchanged at the Cairo airport when one team physically blocks another team from getting through the doors into the terminal. Meanwhile, in hopes of getting ahead, two teams take a gamble with a flight that has an earlier connection than a flight that the rest of the pack of teams are taking. While one team gets into a tense argument with bargaining locals, another team takes a moment to enjoy where they are and bond with some of the local people.
The order of departure from Crocodile Island are as follows:
Teams fly to Cairo on one of two chartered flights, leaving at 7:00 am and 10:00 am. Once in Cairo, teams must fly to Nairobi, Kenya. Once in Nairobi, teams will have to sign up for a charter flight to a mystery destination, Mt. Kilimanjaro in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
Teams must take a bus to Mto wa Mbu to find their next clue
At Mto wa Mbu, teams have the option to Yield a team. None of the teams opted to use the Yield, and was left unaired.
Choice A: Buzzing
Teams have to pick up a bicycle and travel to a nearby honey farm. There, they have to put on beekeeper suits and work together to harvest 4.4lbs of honey from a traditional hive of African honeybees.
None of the teams chose this task.
Choice B: Busy
Teams have to find a specific shop, where they have to load two chairs onto a bicycle-driven cart. They have to deliver these chairs to a specific address, and then return to the shop with the receipt.
All of the teams chose this task.
Teams must travel to Kibaoni and find the Kavishe Hotel to get their next clue.
The team member assigned to perform this Roadblock would have to crack an ostrich egg and pour it enough of the egg on a wooden bowl. The restaurant owner would cook to allow them to eat a whole egg when the bowl is completely full. Then, they must cook a portion of it and scramble it equal to two dozen chicken eggs and eat them all to get their next clue.
The Roadblock performers per team are underlined:
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer in Non-Elimination Leg • Saved from elimination by the Salvage Pass or The Save • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward• > Used the Yield • < Recipient of the Yield
- This episode's title was said by Nicole.
- This leg marks the first time The Amazing Race visits the countries of Kenya and Tanzania.
- This is the first time that no all-male teams were racing.
- This marked the first time Phil Keoghan ever cried on-screen (at Charla & Mirna's elimination statement).
- “Everywhere I turn people look like me. It's not something we get to experience every day.”— Chip describing Kenya
- “I know Colin and Christie are good. But damn it, Charla and Mirna are better! I love 'em.”— Linda
- “There is a Mirna camp and a Colin camp and it's like the Clash of the Titans.”— Chip
- “Colin's acting like a baby. It's eggs for crying out loud.”— Linda
- “Charla, you wanted to prove something to other small people in the world and you really did that.”— Phil holding back tears
- Andy Dehnart at realityblurred (08/18/2004): "Charla, Mirna eliminated from the race"
- Al Rios at TARflies (08/23/2004): "The Denny’s International Passport Breakfast"
|The Amazing Race 5 Episode List|
"Clearly, I'm More Intelligent than You" · "It Turned Ugly Just Now" · "I Got Electrocuted" · "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?" · "Are You Good at Puzzles?" · "Why Can't We Get a Camel?" · "Are You Sure This is Safe?" · "I'm Going to Jail" · "If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut Up!" · "If They're Screwing the Helmet to My Head, It Can't Be Good" · "It's Okay, Run Them Over!" · "You've Just Made Me a Millionaire"